Lynn Haven, Florida
|Lynn Haven, Florida|
Location in Bay County and the state of Florida
|Incorporated (town)||July 1, 1914|
|• Mayor||Walter Kelley|
|• Total||11.8 sq mi (30.5 km2)|
|• Land||10.4 sq mi (26.9 km2)|
|• Water||1.4 sq mi (3.6 km2)|
|Elevation||13 ft (4 m)|
|• Density||1,600/sq mi (610/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0286227|
Lynn Haven is a city in Bay County, Florida, United States, north of Panama City. The population was 18,493 at the 2010 census. It has the smaller population of the two principal cities of the Panama City - Lynn Haven Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Lynn Haven is located at .
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 11.8 square miles (30.5 km2). 10.4 square miles (26.9 km2) of it is land, and 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2) of it (11.90%) is water.
As of the census of 2010, there were 18,493 people, 4,898 households, and 3,649 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,783.4 inhabitants per square mile (589.9/km²). There were 8,266 housing units at an average density of 643.3 per square mile (248.4/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 83.2% White, 10.0% African American, 0.6% Native American, 2.4% Asian, 0.1% Native Hawaiian and 2.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.1% of the population.
There were 4,898 households out of which 35.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.8% were married couples living together, 12.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.5% were non-families. 21.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.54 and the average family size was 2.95.
In the city the population was spread out with 26.1% under the age of 18, 7.2% from 18 to 24, 30.4% from 25 to 44, 24.3% from 45 to 64, and 12.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 93.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $42,105, and the median income for a family was $48,904. Males had a median income of $33,698 versus $24,707 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,330. About 6.2% of families and 7.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 12.9% of those age 65 or over.
There are six public schools:
- Lynn Haven Elementary School
- Mowat Middle School
- A. Crawford Mosley High School
- Deer Point Elementary School
- New Horizon School
- Haney Vo Tech School
There are two charter schools:
Historic buildings in Lynn Haven include:
- First Presbyterian Church, built in 1911
- City Hall, built in 1928
- Monument Park, the only Civil War monument in the South to be dedicated to Union soldiers
- Bailey Bridge, built in 1946 to replace the wooden pier that spanned North Bay from Lynn Haven to Southport
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Lynn Haven city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Lynn Haven city, Florida". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 14, 2012.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.