|103rd Associate Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court|
Assumed office |
January 4, 2016
|Appointed by||Kate Brown|
|Preceded by||Virginia Linder|
|Judge of the Oregon Court of Appeals|
January 3, 2011 – January 4, 2016
|Appointed by||Ted Kulongoski|
|Preceded by||Jack Landau|
May 24, 1960|
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
University of California at Berkeley
New York University School of Law
Lynn R. Nakamoto (born May 24, 1960) is an American judge who is an associate justice of the Oregon Supreme Court. She was appointed to the court by governor Kate Brown, and previously served on the Oregon Court of Appeals from 2011 to 2016.
Nakamoto was born in Los Angeles and grew up in Orange County, California. Nakamoto, who is the first member of her family to graduate college, received an A.B. in philosophy with honors from Wellesley College (1982) and attended the University of California at Berkeley (1980–81). She earned her law degree at New York University School of Law (J.D., 1985).
From 1985 to 1987, she worked at Bronx Legal Services in New York City before moving to Oregon in 1987, when she became a staff attorney and acting director of Marion-Polk Legal Aid Service. In 1989, she joined Markowitz, Herbold, Glade & Mehlhaf, a Portland law firm focusing on business litigation, eventually becoming its managing shareholder. She worked there until her appointment to the bench in 2011.
She served as vice chair of the Oregon Board of Bar Examiners in 2001 and chair of the Oregon State Bar's affirmative action committee in 2006.
The Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association (OAPABA) presents an award called the Lynn Nakamoto Award at its annual gala dinner.
In 1989, Nakamoto had served as a summer clerk for United States District Judge Helen J. Frye.
In 2011, governor Ted Kulongoski appointed Nakamoto to the Oregon Court of Appeals, to fill the seat created by Jack Landau's appointment to the Oregon Supreme Court. She was elected unopposed to a six-year term at the 2012 election.
In 2015, Governor Kate Brown named Nakamoto to the Oregon Supreme Court, to fill the vacancy created by Virginia Linder's retirement. Her appointment made her the first Asian American to serve on the supreme court.
Nakamoto is a lesbian. She is one of twelve openly LGBT state supreme court justices currently serving in the United States. Nakamoto and her partner have a daughter named Eleanor adopted from Vietnam.
- Friedman, Gordon (December 7, 2015). "Lynn Nakamoto first Asian-American on Oregon Supreme Court". The Statesman Journal.
- Oregon Court of Appeals. "Judge bios: Lynn Nakamoto".
- Oregon Asian Pacific American Bar Association (OAPABA). "OAPABA is pleased to announce Julia Markley as the recipient of this year's Judge Lynn R. Nakamoto Award during its Annual Gala Dinner".
- Markowitz, Herbold, Glade & Mehlhaf (December 7, 2011). "MHGM Managing Shareholder Lynn Nakamoto appointed to the Court of Appeals".
- Gay & Lesbian Archives of the Pacific Northwest (GLAPN). "Openly LGBT elected in Oregon".
- Weinberger, Dawn. "A Good Move". Oregon Super Lawyers.
| Associate Justice of the Oregon Supreme Court