Lynn Township, Hardin County, Ohio
|Lynn Township, Hardin County, Ohio|
Cornfield in the township's southeast
Location of Lynn Township, Hardin County, Ohio
|• Total||25.06 sq mi (64.91 km2)|
|• Land||25.06 sq mi (64.90 km2)|
|• Water||0.008 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||994 ft (303 m)|
|• Density||23/sq mi (8.8/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086264|
Located in the southern center of the county, it borders the following townships:
No municipalities are located in Lynn Township.
Name and history
Lynn Township was established in 1857. The township's name most likely comes from the linden trees which were once abundant there, although a share of the pioneer settlers had the last name Lynn. It is the only Lynn Township statewide. According to his obituary, Sgt John Wesley Flinn (1823-1901) built the first cabin after the township was organized in 1859.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Lynn township, Hardin County, Ohio". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved December 28, 2017.
- The History of Hardin County, Ohio. Warner Beers & Company. 1883. p. 748.
- Kohler, Minnie Ichler (1910). A Twentieth Century History of Hardin County, Ohio: A Narrative Account of Its Historical Progress, Its People and Principal Interests,. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 49.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.