|Born||Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.|
Lynne Arriale is an American pianist, composer and bandleader.
Her albums as leader have charted on Billboard and on 'Best of' lists, including The New Yorker and United Press International. She has toured throughout the U.S., Canda, Europe, and Scandinavia, and has performed with Randy Brecker, George Mraz, Benny Golson, Rufus Reid, and Marian McPartland.
Arriale has been featured on the PBS Profile of a Recording Artist and on multiple NPR programs, including Weekend Edition, Jazz Set, Piano Jazz with Marian McPartland; and in Billboard, Down Beat, JazzTimes, JAZZIZ, BBC Magazine, and the London Times. Her live media appearances include NPR's Jazz Piano Christmas – Live from The Kennedy Center, and radio and TV interviews throughout the U.S., U.K., and Europe.
She has served as a faculty member of the Jamey Aebersold Summer Jazz Workshops, the Thelonious Monk Institute in Aspen, and clinics and workshops worldwide. She has adjudicated the Montreux Jazz Competition, American Pianists Association Fellowship Awards, The Kennedy Center's Mary Lou Williams Competition, and the Jacksonville Piano Competition.
Awards and honors
- First place, The Great American Jazz Piano Competition
- National Performance Activity Award, SESAC
- German Record Critics Award
- Best Jazz CD, UPI, Live
- Best CD, The New Yorker, Live
- 1994 The Eyes Have It (DMP)
- 1995 When You Listen (DMP)
- 1996 With Words Unspoken (DMP)
- 1997 A Long Road Home (TCB)
- 1998 Melody (TCB)
- 1999 Live at Montreux (TCB)
- 2000 Inspiration (TCB)
- 2002 Arise (Motéma)
- 2004 Come Together (Motéma)
- 2005 Live (Motéma)
- 2008 Nuance (Motéma)
- 2009 Who Knows Where the Time Goes (Motéma)
- 2011 Convergence (Motéma)
- 2012 Solo, (Motéma)
- 1998 Pat Harbison Quartet, After All
- 1999 Wolfgand Lackerschmid Quartet (TCB)
- 2002 Rachel Caswell, Some Other Time
- 2005 Sara Caswell, But Beautiful (Arbors)