Lynne Elizabeth Bateson (born 16 August 1952) is an English journalist and former newspaper executive, now living and writing in Pasadena, California, USA. She was born in Horsforth, Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK. She moved to the US in 2006 as a lawful permanent resident under the Department of Homeland Security's classification "alien of extraordinary ability or achievement."
Bateson has contributed to seven British national newspapers: Daily and Sunday Express, Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, The Guardian, The Times and Sunday Times, as well among other publications, the London Evening Standard, the Yorkshire Evening Post, the Pudsey News and Money, Real and Your Life magazines. She has written about business, personal finance, health, television, travel, careers and property, contributed general features, columns and was an editorials writer on the Daily and Sunday Express. Her executive career included being deputy group managing editor of Express Newspapers, as well as assistant editor, features editor, business editor and personal finance editor.
Bateson has also given confidential strategic advice to leading international companies and consultancies, conducted corporate brainstorming and media-trained senior business leaders.
Bateson was voted the Best Journalist writing on General Insurance for a National Newspaper in the 1999 Lloyds TSB Insurance awards. She was the British Insurance Brokers Association's 1993 Consumer Journalist of the year (tabloid). She received a special commendation in the 1990 Personal Finance Journalist of the Year Award, sponsored by Bradford & Bingley building society.
She has been given an entry in Debrett's People of Today since 1991.
2006 - : Freelance
Writing for British national newspapers including Daily Telegraph, The Guardian, The Guardian online, London Sunday Times and Sunday Express.
2001–2006: Express Newspapers
- Editorials and comment writer, Daily Express and Sunday Express
- Features writer, Sunday Express and S:2 magazine. Television previewer and health writer Daily Express
- Consumer columnist, Sunday Express (Battling Bateson)
- Consumer, features, career development, management, property and
- insurance writing for the Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, London Evening Standard,
- The Times and Sunday Times (London), The Guardian, Real and Your Life magazines. Also brainstorming and media training for corporate clients.
1996-1997: Express Newspapers
- Deputy Group Managing Editor
1988-1995: Sunday Express
- Assistant Editor (1995)
- Features Editor (1994-5)
- Business Editor (1994)
- Personal Finance Editor (1990–94)
- Business and personal finance writer (1988–90)
- 1987-1988 Money Magazine Features Editor
- 1986-1987 Daily Express Personal finance and consumer writer
- 1984-1986 Thomson Regional Newspapers Business writer
- 1981- 1984 United Newspapers Business writer
- 1978-81 Yorkshire Evening Post Senior features writer
- 1973-1978 Pudsey News General reporter
- Best Journalist writing on General Insurance for a National Newspaper 1999 Lloyds TSB Insurance awards
- Consumer Journalist of the year (tabloid), 1993 British Insurance Brokers Association's awards
- Special commendation Personal Finance Journalist of the Year Award, 1990 sponsored by Bradford & Bingley
- Debrett's People of Today www.debretts.co.uk
- Who's Who in the City www.caritasdata.co.uk
- Who's Who in Financial Journalism published by Dewe Rogerson