This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1953 (age 67–68)|
Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
|Occupation(s)||Singer, evangelist minister|
Lynne Hamilton (born 1953) is an English-born singer, notable for her career in Australia, particularly during the 1970s and 1980s having recorded the single "On the Inside", the theme to the television series Prisoner. Hamilton now works as an evangelist minister.
Early life and career
Hamilton was born in 1953 in Lancashire, the eldest of four children to Reg Hamilton and his wife. Her career as a singer began as a teenager when she joined a backing group The Desperadoes. They appeared on the same bill as acts such as The Rolling Stones, The Who, Freddy and the Dreamers and The Animals. She knew the Beatles personally, having been signed with the same record labels and having been on the same TV shows and at the same parties and social promotional events for the record label for four years. She later had a four-year stint as a singer with The Caravelles, who successfully toured in the UK and across Europe. In 1971, Hamilton moved to Australia where she variously owned and operated a car hire company, lingerie business and restaurants.
In 1979 Hamilton was invited to sing "On the Inside", written by Allan Caswell as the theme tune for a new Australian soap opera, "Prisoner". The song was released as a single in Australia, reaching number four in the singles chart and selling in excess of 80,000 copies. An album, also named On the Inside, was released later that year.
Ten years after this initial success, the song was issued in the UK for the first time, to coincide with the series' first broadcast on UK television. It reached number three on UK singles charts. Hamilton performed the song on Top of the Pops.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart|
|On the Inside||
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions||Album|
|1979||"On the Inside"||4||5||3||On the Inside|
|1989||"In Your Arms (Love song from Neighbours)"||-||-||-||non-album single|
- Bourke, Terry. Prisoner Cell Block H: Behind the Scenes. Angus and Roberson (UK).
- Doughty, J. (8 October 1987). "Allan Caswell Loves His Country". Courier-Mail. Nationwide News Pty Limited.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. St Ives, NSW: Australian Chart Book. p. 318. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. NOTE: Used for Australian singles and albums charting from 1970 until ARIA created their own charts in mid-1988.
- "Lynne Hamilton NZ charts". Australian charts. Retrieved 14 October 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Lynne Hamilton". Official Charts. Retrieved 14 October 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)