29 January 1953|
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Lynne McGranger (born 29 January 1953) is an Australian actress best known for her role as Irene Roberts on soap opera Home and Away. She is currently the second-longest serving cast member after original Ray Meagher. She joined the series in 1993, taking over from actress Jacqui Phillips who originally portrayed the character of Irene in 1991 and 1992. As of 2018, McGranger is the longest serving female cast member of a television soap opera in Australia, and second longest serving actor in the series behind her H&A co-star Ray Meagher.
McGranger was originally a primary school teacher who trained at the Riverina College of Advanced Education in Wagga Wagga, New South Wales, in 1975 where she had her initial actor training. She started her career in stage roles, early roles included Rose in Bye Bye Birdie and Anita in West Side Story. After further experience with the Q Theatre in Penrith, west of Sydney, she started working in television and won a small part in soap opera The Flying Doctors.
She undertook her best-known role on 12 January 1993, when she joined the cast of Home and Away playing Irene Roberts. At first cast in a guest role, McGranger was made a permanent cast member on 7 October 1993. In 2014 McGranger overtook former co-star Kate Richie as the longest serving actress to play the same character in Australian television.
McGranger was a participant in the fourteenth season of Dancing with the Stars. She regularly appears in British pantomimes during the Christmas season, and has starred in pantomimes in Brighton, Torquay, York and Ashton-under-Lyne and Southport.
McGranger was born in the Sydney suburb of Paddington in 1953. She has one daughter, Clancy (b. 1991), with her partner of more than thirty years, Paul McWaters. She is a keen fan of cricket, and is also interested in history. McGranger is also an avid supporter of the Sydney Swans.
- "Lynne McGranger biography". au.tv.yahoo.com. Retrieved 29 June 2010.
- "Dancing With The Stars 2014 line-up: Which celebrities we'd rather see on Seven's dancing show". news.com.au. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 18 June 2015.
- Gatt, Kylie. "Lynne Mc Granger's Bio". Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Lynne McGranger's daughter Clancy McWaters poses triple threat to her mother's legacy". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- Kilkelly, Daniel. "'Home and Away' Lynne McGranger interview: 'Irene should turn badass'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "In the Blood – Lynne McGranger". Retrieved 20 June 2016.
|This article about an Australian television actor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|