Lyon Township, Oakland County, Michigan
Lyon Township, Michigan
|Lyon Charter Township|
Lyon Township Municipal Center
Location within Oakland County
|• Supervisor||John Dolan|
|• Charter township||32.0 sq mi (82.8 km2)|
|• Land||31.3 sq mi (81.2 km2)|
|• Water||0.6 sq mi (1.7 km2)|
|Elevation||942 ft (287 m)|
|• Charter township||14,545|
|• Density||450/sq mi (180/km2)|
|• Metro||4,296,250 (Metro Detroit)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
48165, 48167, 48178, 48381, 48393
|GNIS feature ID||1626650|
The city of South Lyon is located on the west side of the township.
Within the township proper there are two unincorporated communities:
- New Hudson, centered around the junction of Grand River Avenue, Pontiac Trail, and S. Milford Road, just south of exit 155 on I-96 at . In 1830, Russell Alvord and Daniel Richards, from the state of New York, obtained 40 acres (160,000 m2) of land with the deed signed by U.S. President Andrew Jackson. In 1831, they opened an inn called the "Old Tavern" (still in existence as the New Hudson Inn). This served as a changing point on the stage coach line known as the New Hudson Station. A stage line post office was established in 1834. A U.S. government post office was established in June 1852. The community was platted by Russell Alvord in 1837.
- Kensington, a former village that is now Kensington Metropark.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 32.0 square miles (83 km2), of which 31.3 square miles (81 km2) is land and 0.6 square miles (1.6 km2), or 2.00%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,041 people, 3,887 households, and 3,055 families residing in the township. The population density was 352.3 per square mile (136.0/km2). There were 4,065 housing units at an average density of 129.7 per square mile (50.1/km2). The racial makeup of the township was 97.10% White, 0.35% African American, 0.41% Native American, 0.61% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.45% from other races, and 1.04% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.47% of the population.
There were 3,887 households, out of which 41.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 68.2% were married couples living together, 7.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.4% were non-families. 16.9% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.83 and the average family size was 3.21.
In the township the population was spread out, with 28.8% under the age of 18, 7.3% from 18 to 24, 34.1% from 25 to 44, 23.1% from 45 to 64, and 6.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females, there were 103.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $67,288, and the median income for a family was $76,045. Males had a median income of $56,418 versus $31,565 for females. The per capita income for the township was $27,414. About 3.4% of families and 4.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 11.4% of those age 65 or over.
Testek Inc. is located in the Quadrants Research Park. Established in 1969 by engineers, the company designs and builds custom test equipment for the aerospace, industrial and alternative energy industries. Testek is a large defense supplier to the US military.
Bielomatik, Inc. is located in the Lyon Industrial Research Park. The company designs and builds plastic welding machinery, primarily for the automotive market. Specialties include hotplate fuel tank welding, linear vibration welding and traditional hotplate welding on a variety of scales.
The William K. Smith Community Center houses the Lyon Township Public Library.
Post Office Service
- South Lyon Office, ZIP code 48178, serves much of the southern and western parts of the township.
- Northville Office, ZIP code 48167, serves areas in the southeast portion of the township.
- Wixom Office, ZIP code 48393, serves areas in the northeast portion of the township.
- Milford Office, ZIP code 48381, serves a narrow band along the northern part of the township.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Lyon Township, Oakland County, Michigan
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Lyon charter township, Oakland County, Michigan". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved August 22, 2011.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: New Hudson, Michigan
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- Woodards, Shantee. "School district pushes $109 million bond." The Detroit News. September 3, 2004. Metro 3D. Retrieved on April 29, 2011. "Northville Schools are seeing an additional 300 students a year as more homes are built in the area. The district encompasses all or parts of Northville and Novi, along with Northville Township, Salem Township and the city of South Lyon."
- "Zoning Map[permanent dead link]." Lyon Township. Retrieved on March 2, 2014.
- "Welcome." South Lyon East High School. Retrieved on March 2, 2014. "South Lyon East High School 52200 Ten Mile Road South Lyon, MI 48178"
- "Library." Lyon Township. Retrieved on March 2, 2014.
- 48165 5-Digit ZCTA, 481 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48178 5-Digit ZCTA, 481 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48167 5-Digit ZCTA, 481 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48393 5-Digit ZCTA, 483 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 48381 5-Digit ZCTA, 483 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census