(public limited company)
|Traded as||NYSE: LYB|
S&P 500 Component
Lyondell Chemical Company
|Bhavesh V. “Bob” Patel, chief executive officer|
Michael McMurray, executive vice president and chief financial officer
Jeffrey Kaplan, executive vice president, chief legal officer
|Revenue||US$ 34.484 billion (2017)|
|US$ 5.460 billion (2017)|
|US$ 4.895 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||US$ 26.206 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||US$ 26.206 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
LyondellBasell Industries N.V. (NYSE: LYB) is a public multinational chemical company with American and European roots, incorporated in the Netherlands, with U.S. operations headquarters in Houston, Texas, and offices in London, UK. The company is the largest licensor of polyethylene and polypropylene technologies. It also produces ethylene, propylene, polyolefins, and oxyfuels.
LyondellBasell was formed in December 2007 by the acquisition of Lyondell Chemical Company by Basell Polyolefins for $12.7 billion. As of 2016, Lyondell was the third largest independent chemical manufacturer in the United States.
Since its establishment in 1985 from facilities belonging to the Atlantic Richfield Company (ARCO), the company grew through stock swaps with Occidental Chemicals and Millennium Chemicals in 1997 which formed Equistar Chemicals of which each entity were partners. Lyondell purchased the outstanding shares from each of its partners to gain total control of Equistar which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Lyondell. In 2004, Lyondell purchased Millennium Chemicals in a stock-swap deal at $2.3 billion. In August 2006, Lyondell acquired Citgo's interest in the Lyondell-Citgo Refinery for $2.1 billion, and renamed the facility Houston Refining.
Chemical maker Basell Polyolefins purchased Lyondell in December 2007, creating the new company LyondellBasell Industries AF S.C.A., one of the largest chemical companies in the world at that time. It was owned by Access Industries, a privately held, U.S.-based industrial group. LyondellBasell is the third largest independent chemical manufacturer in the world and is headquartered in Houston and Rotterdam .
LyondellBasell's United States operations filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in January 2009 and emerged from bankruptcy in April 2010. The company was only under bankruptcy protection for 15 months. Its former parent company, LyondellBasell Industries AF S.C.A. was replaced by LyondellBasell Industries N.V. It was listed on the New York Stock Exchange on October 14, 2010.
In 2012, 1 Houston Center, the building housing LyondellBasell's Houston headquarters since 1986, was renamed LyondellBasell Tower. In 2014, LyondellBasell announced that it was installing two large cracking furnaces at its Channelview plant, and the following year the company announced it would double production capacity at the Bayport Underwood plant. LyondellBasell acquired the compounding assets of Zylog Plastalloys, an India-based company, in November 2015. The acquisition made LyondellBasell the third largest PP compounds producer in India.
In September 2016, LyondellBasell announced that it would build a $700 million polyethylene plant at the La Porte manufacturing complex on the Houston Ship Channel that would produce 1.1 billion pounds of polyethylene annually. The company started construction on a La Porte plant in May 2017.
The company completed an expansion of its Corpus Christi ethylene plant in January 2017. The plant's capacity was increased by 50 percent to produce 2.5 billion pounds annually. That same year, Hurricane Harvey hit the United States and affected the company's Texas Gulf Coast operations. The Houston Ship Channel was temporarily closed, which prevented crude tankers from reaching refineries. The La Porte facility was damaged but came back online in late October.
In December 2017, LyondellBasell partnered with Suez, a French water and waste management company, in the first joint venture between a major plastics and chemicals company and a resource management company.
LyondellBasell and Odebrecht entered into exclusive talks for LyondellBasell to acquire control of Braskem in June 2018.
During July 2018, LyondellBasell announced a partnership with Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in Germany to advance chemical recycling of plastic materials and assist the global efforts towards the circular economy and plastic waste recycling needs. The focus of the venture is to develop a new catalyst and process technology to decompose post-consumer plastic waste, such as packaging, into monomers for reuse in polymerization processes.
In August 2018, LyondellBasell finalized their acquisition of A. Schulman Inc. in a $2.25 billion deal. That same month, it broke ground on the world's largest propylene oxide and tertiary butyl alcohol plant in Channelview, Texas. The plant is estimated to produce 1 billion pounds of propylene oxide and 2.2 billion pounds of tertiary butyl alcohol annually. LyondellBasell will export the majority of its products via the Houston Ship Channel.
LyondellBasell also announced in September that it and its joint partner, Covestro, kicked-off a large investment project in Maasvlakte-Rotterdam, the Netherlands. The Circular Steam Project incorporates an innovative technology into the existing production plant, to convert its water-based waste into energy and is an important contribution to the Dutch government's CO2 reduction targets.
LyondellBasell holds an annual Global Care Day, where company employees volunteer for community service projects in 20 countries.
LyondellBasell raised $2.7 million for United Way in 2015. In 2016, LyondellBasell raised $2.65 million across its 23 company sites for Victoria County United Way in Texas. At the time, it was the largest donation the organization had received. The following year, the company donated $54,424 to Victoria County United Way to support 18 partner agencies in the surrounding area. In April 2017, LyondellBasell's Corpus Christi complex raised over $78,000 for United Way of the Coastal Bend which would benefit the Greenwood Molina Childcare Center. The complex had raised over $1.2 million in donations for United Way of the Coastal Bend since 1997.
In May 2017, LyondellBasell became a corporate partner of the Astros Community Leaders Program which supports community youth baseball and softball leagues.
In response to Hurricane Harvey in 2017, LyondellBasell donated food to disaster relief efforts in the Gulf Coast region.
Awards and recognition
The American Chemistry Council recognized LyondellBasell with its Responsible Care Company of the Year award in 2014. In 2015, the American Heart Association recognized LyondellBasell's Cincinnati Technology Center with the Fit-Friendly Worksite Platinum Award. The Fit-Friendly program emphasizes employee health and company culture surrounding physical health.
LyondellBasell was named #2 on the list of Top 25 Foreign-owned Chemical Producers by Chemical & Engineering News in both 2015 and 2016. In 2016, Houston Business Journal recognized LyondellBasell as the third largest Houston-based public company.
CEO, Bob Patel was named No. 1 in the ICIS Top 40 Power Players listing, published by ICIS Chemical Business magazine. The ICIS Top 40 Power Players is a global annual ranking of the leading senior executives making the greatest positive impact on their companies and the industry. It is based on selections from the global ICIS senior editorial staff.
In 2018, LyondellBasell was named to Fortune Magazine's list of the World's Most Admired Companies. Additionally, Bob Patel received the 2018 ICIS Kavaler Award in September. The winner of the ICIS Kavaler Award is selected by his/her peers - the senior executives of the ICIS Top 40 Power Players listing, a global ranking of the leaders making the greatest positive impact on their companies and the chemical industry published in ICIS Chemical Business magazine.
- North American manufacturing facilities
- Morris, Illinois
- Tuscola, Illinois
- Clinton, Iowa
- Evansville, Indiana
- Lake Charles, Louisiana
- Lansing, Michigan - Business and Technical Center
- Edison, New Jersey
- Newark, New Jersey
- Cincinnati, Ohio - Technology Center
- Fairport Harbor, Ohio
- Bayport, Texas
- Beaumont, Texas
- Channelview, Texas
- Chocolate Bayou, Texas
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- Equistar Pipelines, Texas
- Houston, Texas - refinery, technology center
- La Porte, Texas
- Mansfield, Texas
- Matagorda, Texas
- Mont Belvieu, Texas
- Victoria, Texas
- Jackson, Tennessee
- Altamira, Mexico
- South American manufacturing facilities
- European manufacturing facilities
- Fos-sur-Mer, France
- Berre-l'Étang, France
- Bayreuth, Germany
- Frankfurt, Germany
- Münchsmünster, Germany
- Ludwigshafen, Germany
- Wesseling / Knapsack, Germany
- 's-Gravendeel, Netherlands
- Botlek, Netherlands
- Maasvlakte, Netherlands
- Moerdijk, Netherlands
- Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Brindisi, Italy
- Ferrara, Italy
- Tarragona, Spain
- Carrington, United Kingdom 
- Milton Keynes, United Kingdom 
- Asian manufacturing facilities
- Australian facilities
- Geelong, Victoria - homopolymer PP plant, analytical laboratory
- Industries, LyondellBasell. "LyondellBasell Reports 2016 Earnings". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "US SEC: Form 10-K LyondellBasell Industries N.V." U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Retrieved January 28, 2018.
- "Orpic picks LyondellBasell PP technology at new plant in Oman". www.mrcplast.com (in Russian). Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "LyondellBasell to build world's largest propylene oxide plant". Chemistry World. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "LyondellBasell Industries N.V.: Private Company Information - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "Who We Are". LyondellBasell. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "LyondellBasell: Misunderstood and Undervalued". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "After 10 years and bankruptcy filing, LyondellBasell leads Gulf petrochemical boom". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "LyondellBasell emerges from bankruptcy reorganization". PlasticsToday. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "LyondellBasell Shares Begin Trading on NYSE". money.cnn.com. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "Deal of the week: LyondellBasell to put name on tower".
- "LyondellBasell CEO: New Gulf Coast plant part of 'next generation' of innovation".
- "LyondellBasell continues India growth with new deal".
- "LyondellBasell completes acquisition of Pune-based Zylog".
- "Buyout of Zylog's polypropylene business will propel LyondellBasell to the third spot in India".
- "PNChina.com: LyondellBasell building first plant in northern China". www.pnchina.com. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "LyondellBasell picks location for new $700M plant in Houston".
- "LyondellBasell to build another Gulf Coast plant".
- "LyondellBasell picks location for new $700M plant in Houston".
- "LyondellBasell starts construction on Gulf Coast plant using new technology".
- "LyondellBasell plant in La Porte will help reshape plastic-making".
- "LyondellBasell completes Corpus Christi ethylene plant expansion".
- "LyondellBasell posts growing $1 billion profit".
- "As Houston Recovers From Harvey, Getting Fuel Flowing Again Is a Slow Process".
- "Houston Works to Maintain Critical Services".
- "LyondellBasell looking to create recycling platform with Suez JV". plasticsnewseurope.com. Retrieved 2018-03-27.
- "Odebrecht, LyondellBasell to seal Braskem deal by mid-October: paper". Reuters. 10 July 2018.
- Goldsberry, Claire. "LyondellBasell and Karlsruhe Tech team up to advance chemical recycling". Plastics Today. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Blunt, Katherine (21 August 2018). "LyondellBasell closes A. Schulman acquisition". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Mann, Joshua (22 August 2018). "Behind the deal: LyondellBasell breaks ground at Channelview facility". Houston Business Journal. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Laird, Karen (4 September 2018). "Covestro, LyondellBasell kick off major emissions reduction project in Netherlands". Plastics News Europe. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "LyondellBasell Global Care Day brings lasting change". Houston Chronicle. 25 September 2015. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "LyondellBasell United Way Campaign tops six-figures".
- "LyondellBasell contributes more than $54K to United Way".
- "LyondellBasell contributes more than $54K to United Way". Victoria Advocate. 23 February 2017. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- Sabawi, Farres (18 April 2017). "Local plant makes big donation to United Way of the Coastal Bend". Caller Times. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "LyondellBasell to Provide Specialized Training to Cologne Firefighters". LyondellBasell. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Astros Community Leaders Program Welcomes New Corporate Partners in 2017".
- "Dell CEO pledges $36M to Harvey relief".
- Heumann, Jenny. "Chemical Manufacturing Companies Honored for Commitment to Health and Safety Performance". American Chemistry Council. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "LyondellBasell Bayport Complex honored by American Heart Association". Houston Chronicle. 13 April 2014.
- "Top 50 U.S. chemical producers of 2016".
- "Forbes names 11 Houston energy companies among 'World's Best Employers'".
- "LyondellBasell CEO Bob Patel takes top spot in 2017 ICIS Top 40 Power Players listing". Chemical Industry News. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "World's Most Admired Companies".
- "LyondellBasell CEO Bob Patel to receive 2018 ICIS Kavaler Award". Chemical Industry News. Retrieved 14 October 2018.
- "Morris Lions Club chooses Citizen of the Year". Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- News, EIN (2017-05-22). "LyondellBasell Receives Five Top Safety Awards". EIN News. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "Shale-fed chemical boom still soars even as oil falls". San Antonio Express-News. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- Manufacturers, American Fuel & Petrochemical. "AFPM Safety Awards Honor Industry Achievements". GlobeNewswire News Room. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- Pindamonhangaba, Brazil
- LyondellBasell Industries site
- Business data for LyondellBasell: