Lyons Township, Cook County, Illinois
Location in Cook County
Cook County's location in Illinois
|• Supervisor||William Mundy|
|• Total||36.9 sq mi (95.7 km2)|
|• Land||36.37 sq mi (94.21 km2)|
|• Water||0.58 sq mi (1.49 km2) 1.56%|
|Elevation||620 ft (189 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||112,132|
|• Density||3,070/sq mi (1,185.5/km2)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|ZIP codes||60402, 60457, 60458, 60480 60501, 60513, 60521, 60525, 60526, 60534, 60546, 60558 60638|
Lyons Township is one of 29 townships in Cook County, Illinois, USA. As of the 2010 census, its population was 111,688. Lyons Township was established in 1850. The nearby unincorporated area of Lyons is often incorrectly referred to as "Lyons Township"
According to the United States Census Bureau, Lyons Township covers an area of 36.95 square miles (95.7 km2); of this, 36.38 square miles (94.2 km2) (98.44 percent) is land and 0.57 square miles (1.5 km2) (1.56 percent) is water.
The boundaries of Lyons Township are Harlem Avenue on the east; the Cook-DuPage County boundary (County Line Road) on the west; the line of 87th Street on the south, except west of Willow Springs, where it follows the Des Plaines River to the Cook-DuPage county line; and the line of 39th Street (Southview Avenue, Brewster Avenue) on the north. There are seventeen municipalities in or partially within Lyons Township's thirty-seven square miles of territory:
- Bedford Park
- Burr Ridge
- Hickory Hills
- Indian Head Park
- La Grange
- Western Springs
- Willow Springs
There is one unincorporated community in the township:
- Proviso Township (north)
- Berwyn Township (northeast)
- Riverside Township (northeast)
- Stickney Township (east)
- Worth Township (southeast)
- Palos Township (south)
- Lemont Township (southwest)
- Downers Grove Township, DuPage County (west)
- York Township, DuPage County (northwest)
The township contains these six cemeteries: Archer Woods Memorial Park, Bethania, LaGrange, Lithuanian National, Resurrection and Saint Johns.
Airports and landing strips
- La Grange Memorial Hospital Heliport
- Pielet Summit Heliport
- Arie Crown Forest Preserve
- Buffalo Woods (Cook County Forest Preserves)
- Columbia Woods (Cook County Forest Preserves)
As of the 2010 census:
- White: 82.1% (Non-Hispanic: 71.7%)
- Black: 6.0%
- American Indian and Alaska Native: 0.3%
- Asian: 2.2%
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander: 0.02%
- Some other race: 7.3%
- Two or more races: 2.1%
- Hispanic or Latino (any race): 19.0%
- William Mundy - Supervisor
- Mary Jo Noonan - Clerk
- Barbara M. Weyrick - Assessor
- Sean McDermott - Highway Commissioner
- Mark Anderson - Trustee, Liaison Special Police Advisory
- Thomas Wm. Garrette Jr. - Trustee, Finance Chairman
- Colleen Kelly - Trustee, Liaison Senior Advisory, Building & Grounds
- Timonthy M. Sprague - Trustee, Liaison Mental Health Advisory, Committee on Youth Chairman
- "Lyons Township, Cook County, Illinois". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2010-01-10.
- "Pamphlet For Public Information" published by Lyons Township Clerk Robert S. Berliner, 1968.
- United States Census Bureau 2007 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- United States National Atlas
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Lyons township, Cook County, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 21, 2013.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.