Lyubomir Ivanov (explorer)
Lyubomir Ivanov (Bulgarian: Любомир Иванов, born 7 October 1952 in Sofia) is a scientist, non-governmental activist, and Antarctic explorer. He is a graduate of the St. Kliment Ohridski University of Sofia with M.S. degree in Mathematics in 1977, and earned his PhD from Sofia University in 1980 under the direction of Dimiter Skordev, with a dissertation entitled Iterative Operative Spaces.
Academic and NGO work
Appointed head of the Department of Mathematical Logic at the Institute of Mathematics and Informatics, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences in 1990, Dr Ivanov has since helped found the Atlantic Club of Bulgaria, in which he held the position of chairman from 2001 to 2009. In 1994 he founded the Manfred Wörner Foundation, an organisation dedicated to trans-atlantic co-operation. Member of the Streit Council Advisory Board, Washington, DC since 2006. Chairman, Antarctic Place-names Commission since 1994. He authored the modern Bulgarian system for Romanization of Cyrillic alphabet, adopted also for official use both by UN, and by the USA and UK.
In the course of his work for, among others, the Atlantic Club of Bulgaria, Dr Ivanov has given interviews to various news outlets, at times espousing views that NATO must expand eastwards due to a deficit in its military capacity.
Ivanov was a member of the UDF Coordinating Council and served as a Member of Parliament in Bulgaria, acting as Chairman of the Green Party parliamentary group. He has also served as parliamentary secretary for the Bulgarian ministry of foreign affairs.
Dr Ivanov has taken part in several Antarctic expeditions. In 2004, Ivanov went with Doychin Vasilev on the Tangra 2004 topographic expedition, noted by Discovery Channel as a timeline event in Antarctic exploration.
- Department of Mathematical Logic
- Antarctic Place-names Commission
- Atlantic Club of Bulgaria
- Manfred Wörner Foundation
- Tangra 2004/05
- "The Streit Council: Our Mission". Association to Unite the Democracies. 28 July 2008. Archived from the original (ISO-8859-1) on 25 June 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2008.
- Kalchev, Victor. "Who is who in Bulgarian Politic: Lyubomir . Ivanov, Atlantic Club of Bulgaria – President". Retrieved 18 August 2008.
- Ivanov, L., D. Skordev and D. Dobrev. The New National Standard for the Romanization of Bulgarian. Mathematica Balkanica. New Series Vol. 24, 2010, Fasc. 1–2. pp. 121–130. ISSN 0205-3217
- Report on the Current Status of United Nations Romanization Systems for Geographical Names. Compiled by the UNGEGN Working Group on Romanization Systems, February 2013.
- Romanization system for Bulgarian: BGN/PCGN 2013 System. National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency, September 2014.
- "Bulgaria and the world". Radio Bulgaria. 19 March 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2008.
- List of members of the Coordinating Council of the Union of Democratic Forces. Demokratsiya Newspaper, 27 April 1990.
- "Academic Refugee Studies Initiative in Bulgaria" (PDF). United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR). 24 October 2002. Archived from the original on 14 May 2005. Retrieved 14 May 2005.
- "Pole Expedition List". ThePoles.com. Archived from the original on 8 March 2005. Retrieved 8 March 2005.
- 14 November 2004: Tangra. Discovering Antarctica Timeline. Discovery Channel UK website, 2012.
- Ivanov, L.L. Algebraic Recursion Theory. (Chichester, West Sussex: Ellis Horwood; and New York: John Wiley & Sons, 1986). 256 pp. ISBN 978-0-13-026907-2; ISBN 978-0-7458-0102-5
- Ivanov, L.L. wikisource:Charter ’89 for Preservation of the Bulgarian Nature Heritage. Independent Society of Ecoglasnost, Club for Glasnost and Restructuring, and Wilderness Fund Bulgaria. Sofia, 1989.
- Ivanov, L. and M. Milouchev. Draft parliamentary decision for the full EU (EC) membership of Bulgaria. Sofia, 1990. (in Bulgarian)
- Ivanov, L.L. wikisource:Toponymic Guidelines for Antarctica. Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria. Sofia, 1995.
- Ivanov, L.L. St. Kliment Ohridski Base, Livingston Island. 1:1000 scale topographic map. Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria. Project supported by the Atlantic Club of Bulgaria and the Bulgarian Antarctic Institute. Sofia, 1996. (in Bulgarian)
- Popov, S. et al. NATO's Global Mission in the 21st century. 1998–99 NATO Manfred Wörner Fellowship. Sofia: Atlantic Club of Bulgaria, 2000. 123 pp.
- Ivanov, L.L. Platek Spaces, Fundamenta Informaticae. 44 (2000). 145–181.
- Ivanov, L.L. Boldface recursion on Platek Spaces. Fundamenta Informaticae. 44 (2000). 183–208.
- Ivanov, L.L. On the Romanization of Bulgarian and English. Contrastive Linguistics, XXVIII, 2003, 2, pp. 109–118. ISSN 0204-8701; Errata, id., XXIX, 2004, 1, p. 157.
- Ivanov, L.L. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich Island, South Shetland Islands (from English Strait to Morton Strait, with illustrations and ice-cover distribution). 1:100000 scale topographic map. Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria. Sofia, 2005.
- Ivanov, L.L. The role of immigration for the demographic and national development of Bulgaria in the 21st century, in: Towards New Immigration Policies for Bulgaria. Sofia: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2006. 54 pp. (in Bulgarian, English summary) ISBN 978-954-92032-1-9
- Ivanov, L. et al. Bulgaria: Bezmer and adjacent regions – Guide for American military at the Wayback Machine (archived 27 February 2009). Sofia: Multiprint Ltd., 2007. 40 pp. ISBN 978-954-90437-8-5
- Ivanov, L. and V. Yule. Roman Phonetic Alphabet for English at the Wayback Machine (archived 30 September 2007). Contrastive Linguistics. XXXII, 2007, 2. pp. 50–64.
- Ivanov, L. et al. Bulgarian Policies on the Republic of Macedonia: Recommendations on the development of good neighbourly relations following Bulgaria’s accession to the EU and in the context of NATO and EU enlargement in the Western Balkans. Sofia: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2008. 80 pp. (Trilingual publication in Bulgarian, Macedonian and English) ISBN 978-954-92032-2-6
- Ivanov, L.L. There Is Simply No Way of Joining Those Clubs Other Than by Accepting Their Rules, in: Changing Balkans: Macedonia on the Road to NATO and EU. 11th International Conference, 20–21 February 2009, Ohrid. Sofia: Balkan Political Club Foundation, 2009. ISBN 978-954-91623-7-0
- Ivanov, L.L. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2010. ISBN 978-954-92032-9-5 (First edition 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4)
- Ivanov, L.L. Bulgaria in Antarctica. South Shetland Islands. Sofia: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2009. 16 pp., with a folded map. ISBN 978-954-92032-7-1
- Ivanov, L.L. Falklands and Crimea the new cold war. Penguin News Falkland Islands, Vol. 25 No. 46, 2 May 2014. p. 7.
- Ivanov, L. and N. Ivanova. Antarctic: Nature, History, Utilization, Geographic Names and Bulgarian Participation. Sofia: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2014. 368 pp. (in Bulgarian) ISBN 978-619-90008-1-6 (Second revised and updated edition, 2014. 411 pp. ISBN 978-619-90008-2-3)
- Ivanov, L. General Geography and History of Livingston Island. In: Bulgarian Antarctic Research: A Synthesis. Eds. C. Pimpirev and N. Chipev. Sofia: St. Kliment Ohridski University Press, 2015. pp. 17-28. ISBN 978-954-07-3939-7
- Ivanov, L. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Smith Island. Scale 1:100000 topographic map. Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2017. ISBN 978-619-90008-3-0
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Lyubomir Ivanov.|
|Wikisource has original works written by or about: