In Norse mythology, Hati Hróðvitnisson (first name meaning "He Who Hates, or Enemy") is a warg; a wolf that, according to Gylfaginning, chases Máni across the night sky, just as the wolf Sköll chases Sól (sun) during the day, until the time of Ragnarök when they will swallow these heavenly bodies, after which Fenrir will break free from his bonds and kill Odin. Hatí is possibly alluded to in Völuspá as "moon-snatcher".
Hati's surname is Hróðvitnisson, attested in both Grímnismál and Gylfaginning, which indicates that he is the son of Fenrir, whose alternate name is Hróðvitnir ("Famous Wolf"). Hati's mother is the giantess, not named but mentioned in Völuspá and Gylfaginning, who dwells to the east of Midgard in the forest of Járnviðr ("Ironwood"). Snorri Sturluson states that this giantess and witch bears many giants for sons, all in the form of wolves including one named Mánagarm ("Moon Hound") who shall swallow the Moon and is thus identified with Hati. From this passage it is also presumed that Sköll is Hati's brother.
Another name for Hati Hróðvitnisson is Mánagarmr ("Moon-Hound"), referring to his hunting down the moon during the Ragnarök and swallowing it. The name can be anglicized as Managarm, Manegarm, Mánagarm or Managarmr.
- In the Fate of the Norns table-top role-playing-game, Hati is partially responsible for the onset of Ragnarok.
- In January 2011, a wolf called Hati made an appearance in the online video game RuneScape and reappeared in January 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 along with his brother Sköll, in 2016 their father Fenrir was also included in the winter event.
- In one episode of Tiziano Sclavi's Dylan Dog, the Nightmare Investigator, Hati and his brother Sköll, were used as characters in tale N°289 "La via degli enigmi" ("The Way of Puzzles") and N°290 "L'erede Oscuro" ("The Dark Heir"); in which they are evil creatures who serve the main antagonist.
- In World of Warcraft, Hati and Skoll are the pet wolves of Thorim (a reference to Thor). The former is automatically granted as a pet to hunters who acquire the unique artifact weapon Titanstrike, while latter is a rare tamable spirit beast.
- Hati and Sköll both occur as Boss Encounters in the online video game Ruins of the Lost Kingdom Online.
- Both Hati and Skoll are bosses in Ragnarok Odyssey.
- Mánagarmr is a Beast enemy found in Final Fantasy XIII and its sequel, Final Fantasy XIII-2.
- In the dragon-themed virtual pet site, Flight Rising, both Hati and Sköll are available as familiars a dragon can own.
- In Cardfight!! Vanguard, Hati and Skoll appear as units in the Genesis clan, as does Fenrir, for whom they are supporting units. Managarmr also appears as a unit in the Great Nature clan.
- In Fire Emblem Fates, Mánagarm is the promotion class for the Garou (humans who transform into beasts during the battle).
- Månegarm are a black metal/Viking metal band from Norrtälje, Sweden.
- Byock, Jesse. (Trans.) The Prose Edda, page 164. (2006) Penguin Classics ISBN 0-14-044755-5
- Valkauskas, Andrew (2013). Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok (2nd ed.). Canada: Pendelhaven. pp. 20–21. ISBN 9780986541438.
- "Hati and Sköll - The Wolf Pack Returns - News - RuneScape". services.runescape.com. Retrieved 2015-11-04.
|This article relating to a Norse myth or legend is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|