This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Years active||1995 – present|
|Associated acts||Två Fisk Och En Fläsk|
The band was formed by Svenne Rosendal, Jonas Almqui, and Pierre Wilhelmsson in 1995. After finding another guitarist (Mårten Matsson) and a drummer (Erik Grawsiö), they began rehearsing as "Antikrist". By 1996, they had changed their name to Månegarm, after the wolf of Norse legend, apt for a band concentrating on Viking metal, and early that year, they began recording their first demo collection, Vargaresa (Wolf's Journey). After the recording, Rosendal and Matsson left to be replaced by Jonny Wranning (vocals) and Markus Andé (guitar).
With a second demo, Ur Nattvindar, folk metal became part of their sound, including violins and female vocals for the first time, and they were signed by Displeased Records. Soon afterwards, Wranning left the band and was replaced by Viktor Hemgren. At the end of the year, they went back into Sunlight studios to record their first full-length album, Nordstjärnans Tidsålder (The Age of the Northstar).
In summer 1999, they began recording their next album, Havets Vargar. Because of some difficulty with the recording studio, they took some time off from recording the album, during which, Viktor Hemgren was fired. Grawsiö took over as vocalist along with his drumming. Also during this time, Janne Liljekvist was added as a full member. With the line up now set, they finished recording the album and released it in 2000.
The band's two demos were remastered and released as an album in 2004, with a fourth studio album, Vredens Tid (Age of Wrath), issued in 2005, followed by performances on the European festival circuit that summer. After one further EP on Displeased, a completely acoustic folk music EP, Urminnes Hävd (The Forest Sessions), the band moved to the Swedish label Black Lodge, which issued the group's sixth album, Vargstenen (Wolf Stone) in 2007.
- Erik Grawsiö - Drums (1996-2010), Vocals (2000-present), Bass (2010-present)
- Markus Andé - Guitars (1996-present)
- Jacob Hallegren - Drums (2011-present)
- Svenne Rosendal – Vocals (1995–1996)
- Jonny Wranning - Vocals (1996)
- Georgios "Gogge" Karalis - Vocals (1997)
- Viktor Hemgren - Vocals (1997–1999)
- Mårten Matsson – Guitars (1995–1996), Vocals (1996)
- Pierre Wilhelmsson – Bass Guitar (1995–2010)
- Jan Liljekvist - Cello, Flute, Violin (2004-2012)
- Jonas "Rune" Almquist - Guitars (1995-2016)
|Album name||Release||Chart Peak |
|Legions of the North|
- Rereleased albums
|Chart Peak |
|Album name||Release||Chart Peak
|Vargaresa - The Beginning|
|Chart Peak |
|Urminnes hävd (The Forest Sessions)|
- 2007: "Genom världar nio"
- Rivadavia, Eduardo "Månegarm Biography", Allmusic, Macrovision Corporation
- Månegarm - Official Homepage
- "Månegarm To Release New Album In October"[permanent dead link], blabbermouth.net
- Legions of the North, manegarmsweden.com
- "Sverigetopplistan - Sveriges Officiella Topplista". Sverigetopplistan. Retrieved 5 August 2016. Click on "Veckans albumlista".