Måneskin's frontman, Damiano David, performing with the band in Rome on 7 April 2018
Måneskin is an Italian pop rock band from Rome, consisting of lead vocalist Damiano David, bassist Victoria De Angelis, guitarist Thomas Raggi, and drummer Ethan Torchio. The band rose to fame after ending up second in the eleventh series of the Italian talent show X Factor in 2017.
Before X Factor
The band members first met each other as students of the same middle school. In 2016, while they were students of the liceo scientifico J.F. Kennedy in Monteverde, Rome, they decided to start a band. The band's name was chosen when they had to register for Pulse, a local music constest for emerging bands. While brainstorming, Victoria, who is of Danish descent, was asked by her bandmates to toss out some Danish words, and they agreed on Måneskin ("moonshine"), despite its meaning is not related to the band itself. The Pulse Contest also marked a turning point in their career, since they had to start writing their own songs. The competition led them to perform at the Felt Music Club & School, and they later went on to win first prize.
They later performed as buskers in the streets of the Colli Portuensi district of Rome, as well as in the historical centre of Rome, including in Via del Corso. One of their first live concerts outside their native city took place in Faenza, at the 2016 Meeting of Independent Record Labels. Approximately 30 people attended the show. After a trip in Denmark, during which the band also performed some live shows, Måneskin strengthened their cohesiveness, and started to play together for several hours a day.
Their debut single, "Chosen", was released on 24 November 2017 by Sony Music and charted at number 2 on the Italian FIMI Singles Chart. It was included in the extended play of the same title, released in mid December 2017 and mainly consisting of covers previously performed during the X Factor live shows. The EP was certified platinum by the Federation of the Italian Music Industry.
On 23 March 2018, the band released their first Italian-language single, "Morirò da re", which continued their commercial success. Måneskin's first full-length studio audio, featuring "Morirò da re" and preceded by the ballad single "Torna a casa", was released on 26 October 2018. Both the album, titled Il ballo della vita, and the single "Torna a casa" topped the charts in Italy. To promote the album, the band theatrically released a documentary film, titled This Is Måneskin. The film premiered on 26 October 2018 in Italy.
|Title||Album details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
|Il ballo della vita||
|Title||EP details||Peak chart positions||Certifications|
As lead artist
|Single||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album or EP|
|"Morirò da re"||2018||2||
||Il ballo della vita|
|"Torna a casa"||1||
|2018||This is Måneskin||Themselves||Documentary|||
- "Måneskin". Rolling Stone (in Italian). Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Luigi Bolognini (15 December 2017). "TV X Factor, la vittoria di Lorenzo Licitra: la voce del tenore batte il glam rock dei Maneskin". la Repubblica. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Maneskin" (in Italian). Sky Italia. 19 October 2017. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Alessandra Paolini (26 November 2017). "Ciclone Maneskin, il rock è coatto: Semo de Roma". la Repubblica (in Italian). Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- Paolo Giordano (31 December 2017). "Ehi ragà, seguite voi stessi". Corriere della Sera. La Lettura (in Italian). Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Si dice Maneskin, non Moleskine!: origine e significato del nome della band" (in Italian). Sky Italia. 12 December 2017.
- Jessica Chia (31 December 2017). "Måneskin, gli altri vincitori di X Factor". Corriere della Sera (in Italian). Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "I Måneskin a Faenza sul palco del Mei: Suonarono di fronte a non più di 30 persone". Ravenna Today (in Italian). 10 January 2018.
- "Damiano (Maneskin) si racconta: 'Chi sono per dirmi che non posso andare in giro con la pelliccia di leopardo perché non sono Mick Jagger?'" (in Italian). Rockol.it. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Chosen - Måneskin" (in Italian). Radiodate.it.
- "Italina Charts - Måneskin - Songs". Italiancharts.com. Hung Medien.
- Alessandra Vitali (29 January 2018). "L'APPUNTAMENTO Maneskin, per loro uno Speciale Webnotte: la band e un successo che non si ferma più". la Repubblica. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Maneskin, «Morirò da re» è il primo inedito in italiano". Il Mattino (in Italian). 19 March 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Valentina Cesarini (22 March 2018). "I Maneskin scelgono la parte buona: «Morirò da re», il nuovo singolo e il video". TV Sorrisi e Canzoni (in Italian). Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Cinzia Del Pretee (25 September 2018). "Fimi Awards per Maneskin, Elisa, Sfera Ebbasta e molti altri: le certificazioni della settimana". Optimaitalia.com. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Maneskin, ecco il nuovo album "Il ballo della vita" e un docufilm sulla loro carriera". Il Messaggero (in Italian). 3 October 2018. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- Ambra De Sanctis (2 November 2018). "Nella Classifica FIMI del 2 novembre i Maneskin ed Elisa in vetta, Il Ballo Della Vita invade la Top10 dei singoli". Optimagazine. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Måneskin, arriva nei cinema un documentario che racconta il primo album della band". Rolling Stone (in Italian). 3 October 2018. Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Italian Charts - Måneskin - Albums". Italiancharts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved 5 October 2018.
- "Måneskin – Il ballo della vita" (in German). Hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved 7 November 2018.
- "Album – Classifica settimanale WK 44 (dal 2018-10-26 al 2018-11-01)" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved 3 November 2018.
- "Italian single certifications – Maneskin" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana.
- "Database Top of the Music - Maneskin - Classifiche" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Retrieved 5 October 2018.