Mícheál Ó hAodha
|Born||1969 (age 53–54)|
|Institutions||University of Limerick|
Mícheál Ó hAodha (born 1969) is an Irish poet and nonfiction writer. He also works in the departments of history and comparative literature at the University of Limerick, where he is a part-time lecturer.
Ó hAodha's poems have been collected in the books
- Dúchas Dóchasach ["Survivor": Representations of the New Irish] (as Michael Hayes, illustrated by Jean Hakizimana, Cambridge Scholars Publishing 2007)
- Slán le hÉireann [A Farewell to Ireland: Migrant Poems] (Coiscéim, 2012)
- Leabhar Dubh an tSneachta [The Black Book of Snow] (2015)
- Leabhar na nAistear [The Book of Journeys] (Coiscéim, 2017)
- Leabhar na nAistear II (Coiscéim, 2019)
He is also the author of:
- Canting with Cauley: a Glossary of Travellers' Cant/Gammon (with William Cauley, A. & A. Farmar, 2006)
- Parley with me: a Compendium of Fairground Speech (A. & A. Farmar, 2006)
- Irish Travellers: Representations and Realities (as Michael Hayes, Liffey Press, 2007)
- Postcolonial Artist: Johnny Doran and Irish Traveller Tradition (with David Duohy, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2008)
- "Insubordinate Irish": Travellers in the Text (Manchester University Press, 2011)
He has a particular interest in minority groups including Irish Travellers and the Irish-speaking minority of the west of Ireland and has written many books in collaboration with Travellers, Roma, fairground/circus people and others. He has also written on the experiences of Irish emigrants, and the Irish experience in Britain.
- Birth year from Library of Congress catalog data, retrieved 9 June 2019.
- Dr. Mícheál Ó hAodha, University of Limerick, retrieved 9 June 2019
- Poloczek, Katarzyna (February 2014), "Writing the 'new Irish' into Ireland's old narratives: the poetry of Sinéad Morrissey, Leontia Flynn, Mary O'Malley, and Michael Hayes", Literary visions of multicultural Ireland, Manchester University Press, pp. 133–148, doi:10.7228/manchester/9780719089282.003.0009
- Reviews of Slán le hÉirinn: Carson, Liam (April 2013), "From the margins", The Poetry Ireland Review, 109: 115–119, JSTOR 43958657; Ó Dúill, Gréagóir (2013), "Éiric", Comhar, 73 (6): 26–27, JSTOR 43499373
- Clear, Caitriona (2007), "Review of Canting with Cauley and Parley with me", Irish Economic and Social History, 34: 99–100, JSTOR 24338869
- ní Shuinéar, Sinéad (February 2010), "Review of Irish Travellers: Representations and Realities", Irish Studies Review, 18 (1): 124–128, doi:10.1080/09670880903533573
- Helleiner, Jane (May 2012), "Review of "Insubordinate Irish": Travellers in the text", Irish Historical Studies, 38 (149): 178–179, doi:10.1017/s0021121400001036