|County||Västra Götaland County|
|• Total||152.28 km2 (58.80 sq mi)|
|• Land||145.84 km2 (56.31 sq mi)|
|• Water||6.44 km2 (2.49 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2016)|
|• Density||420/km2 (1,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Province||Västergötland and Halland|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
Mölndal Municipality (Mölndals kommun or Mölndals stad) is a municipality in Västra Götaland in western Sweden, just south of Gothenburg. Its seat is located in Mölndal, which lies within the Gothenburg urban area, and the whole municipality is part of Metropolitan Gothenburg.
In 1911 a municipalsamhälle (a kind of borough within a rural municipality, handling matters of urban character) named Mölndal was instituted in the municipality of Fässberg. In 1922 Fässberg was made the City of Mölndal. In 1971 it was amalgamated with Kållered and Lindome (the latter transferred from Halland County). At the same time it became a municipality of unitary type, like all others in the country. The municipality prefers, however, to style itself Mölndals stad (City of Mölndal) as a semi-official name whenever legally possible. This usage has no effect on the status of the municipality.
- Mölndal has 37,131 inhabitants (a part of the contiguous Gothenburg urban area)
- Kållered has 7,257 inhabitants
- Lindome has 13,364 inhabitants
- Hällesåker has 900 inhabitants
Numbers from 2003.
Mölndal Municipality is twinned with the following towns:
- Albertslund Municipality, Denmark
- Borken, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany
- Canterbury, Kent, England
- Whitstable, Kent, England
Sights of interest
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.