Munich Riem station
|Opened||1 May 1897|
München-Riem station is an S-Bahn station and container terminal in the east of Munich in the district of Trudering-Riem on the Munich–Mühldorf railway in the German state of Bavaria. The station is served by the Munich S-Bahn and is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station.
Riem station was established on 1 May 1871 with opening of the railway to Mühldorf. On 1 October 1938, it was renamed to München-Riem. Since 28 May 1972 passenger services to the station have only been operated by S-Bahn trains.
Currently it is served by S-Bahn line S 2 (Erding–Petershausen). On the southern side of the station it is possible to transfer to bus routes 190 and 194 of the Münchner Verkehrsgesellschaft (Munich Transport Company, MVG). On the northern side, in the Dornach district, there is a bus stop served by MVV bus routes 263 and 264. It does not have disabled access.
The station has a 210 meter long central platform and a 219 m long side platform. The platform edges are 76 cm high.
Apart from the Riem town centre, the Galopprennbahn Riem (horse race course), the Reitstadion Riem (riding stadium) and the industrial area of Ascheim-Dornach are within a few minutes walking distance.
Riem was the nearest station to the former Munich-Riem Airport.
The Deutsche Umschlaggesellschaft Schiene-Straße (German rail-road transshipment company) opened a container terminal about a kilometre away to the east of the station and south of the main line in 1992. This consists of three sets of tracks with the latest gantry cranes spanning five 700 m long tracks. The capacity of this plant is 250,000 TEUs. The third sets of tracks was opened in 2012. The reconstruction costs were €16 million, producing an increase in throughput from 350,000 to 400,000 TEUs.
- "Stationspreisliste 2019" [Station price list 2019] (PDF) (in German). DB Station&Service. 17 July 2018. Retrieved 10 November 2018.
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland (German railway atlas) (2009/2010 ed.). Schweers + Wall. 2009. ISBN 978-3-89494-139-0.
- "BD München" (in German). bahnstatistik.de. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Map of the station area, showing the S-Bahn station, bus stops and parking" (PDF) (in German). MVV. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
- "Platform information for München-Riem station" (in German). Deutsche Bahn. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Bagger im Umschlagterminal München-Riem angerollt" (in German). Deutsche Bahn. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "DUSS-Terminal München-Riem" (in German). Deutsche Bahn. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Track plan of München Riem station" (PDF-Datei; 151 kB) (in German). Deutsche Bahn. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- "Description and plans of the station" (in German). BEG. Retrieved 24 March 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to München-Riem station.|