Uluç Ülgen and Yumosh in 2016
|Hosted by||Uluç Ülgen|
|No. of episodes||278|
|Original release||December 23, 2014– present|
mürmur. is a New York City based podcast hosted by Uluç Ülgen. The show revolves around impromptu conversations that take place between Ülgen and the various strangers who spontaneously show up to his apartment. In late 2016, the project began receiving international press, including articles in The New York Post, and The Paris Review.
mürmur. was launched in 2014 following a hitchhiking trip to the Middle East that Ülgen describes as rekindling his faith in humanity. After returning to New York City, he sold off his entire music gear in order to finance the space required for the project to help strangers through the medium of conversation.
Guests began discovering the podcast through the street flyers that Ülgen frequently posts in the Greenwich Village and East Village neighborhoods of Manhattan. Ülgen expresses that the abundance of strangers coming on the show, while overwhelming, has enabled him to dramatically improve his social skills. He now uses the experience harnessed on the podcast by giving advice to others who suffer from social anxiety and shyness.
In August 2017, The mürmur studio was forced to relocate after a liability dispute with the landlord of the building. As of October 2017, mürmur. continues to operates from an undisclosed, private location in the East Village.
- Carlos Dengler of Interpol (band)
- Martin Rev of Suicide (band)
- Syl Sylvain of The New York Dolls
- Luc Sante
- Brett Haley
- Michael Maronna of The Adventures of Pete & Pete
- Alan Kaufman (writer)
- Handsome Dick Manitoba of The Dictators, MC5
- Persia Monir
- Thor Harris of Devendra Banhart, Bill Callahan (musician), and Swans (band).
- Mike Wilbur of Moon Hooch
- Ben Curtis (actor) from Dell Computers commercials.
- Jimmy McMillan
- Alejandro Escovedo
- McClear, Sheila (February 15, 2016). "This Guy Invites Strangers Into His Apartment For Fun". The New York Post. Retrieved September 23, 2016.
- Pomoroski, Chris (January 6, 2011). "Mürmurings". The Paris Review. Retrieved January 5, 2017.
- Grieve, East (December 23, 2015). "How are you? A year of having conversations with complete strangers in an east 5th street apartment". EVgrieve.
- Bradley, Bill (February 9, 2017). "American Voices". American Voices with Bill Bradley. Sirius XM.
- Leung, Wency (December 1, 2016). "An introvert's guide to surviving the holidays". The Globe and Mail.
- Sandoval, Edgar (September 17, 2017). "Tenant's podcast interviews with scores of strangers led to eviction threat". New York Daily News. Retrieved September 23, 2017.
- Alonzo, Levar (October 19, 2017). "mürmur podcast is making some noise again in its new digs". The Villager. Retrieved October 26, 2017.
- Hobbs, Allegra (October 12, 2017). "Podcaster Who Invited 'Everyone' Into His Home Moving After Landlord Spat". dnainfo. Archived from the original on November 4, 2017. Retrieved October 31, 2017.
- "mürmur". iTunes. February 15, 2017.