M-294 (Michigan highway)
|Beadle Lake Road|
M-294 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDOT|
|Length||1.535 mi (2.470 km)|
|Existed||October 31, 1998–present|
|South end||I-94 near Battle Creek|
|North end||M-96 near Battle Creek|
M-294 is a state trunkline highway in Calhoun County in the US state of Michigan. It is one of a handful of highways that was established or realigned as a result of a rationalization process initiated in 1998 during the tenure of Governor John Engler. M-294 is approximately two miles (3.2 km) east of Interstate 194 (I-194) and connects M-96 with I-94 southeast of Battle Creek.
M-294 runs northward along Beadle Lake Road from I-94 at exit 100 north through a commercial area. Past these businesses, the adjoining land is not developed for a short distance, and the roadway runs through some woodlands. North of the intersection with Golden Avenue, the highway passes through a residential neighborhood before terminating at M-96 (Columbia Avenue). The highway lies entirely within Emmett Township just southeast of Battle Creek. The trunkline carries an average annual daily traffic of 6,078 vehicles south, and 5,728 vehicles north, of Golden Avenue according to a traffic survey completed by the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) in 2010. The highway has not been included as a part of the National Highway System, a system of highways important to the nation's economy, defense, and mobility.
Beadle Lake Road was transferred to state jurisdiction on October 31, 1998. The new highway was assigned the M-294 designation by MDOT and first included on the 1999 state map. The routing has remained unchanged since.
|0.000||0.000||I-94 – Chicago, Detroit||Exit 100 on I-94|
|1.535||2.470||M-96 (Columbia Avenue)|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Truscott, John (September 24, 1998). "MDOT Accepts Responsibility for 120 Miles of Local Roads" (Press release). Michigan Department of Transportation. Archived from the original on December 24, 2007. Retrieved August 26, 2008.
- Michigan Department of Transportation & Michigan Center for Shared Solutions and Technology Partnerships (2009). MDOT Physical Reference Finder Application (Map). Michigan Department of Transportation. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- Michigan Department of Transportation (2011). Pure Michigan: State Transportation Map (Map). c. 1:221,760. Lansing: Michigan Department of Transportation. Battle Creek inset. OCLC 42778335, 786008212.
- Google (September 27, 2010). "Overview Map of M-294" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved September 27, 2010.
- Bureau of Transportation Planning (2008). "Traffic Monitoring Information System". Michigan Department of Transportation. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- Michigan Department of Transportation (April 23, 2006). National Highway System, Battle Creek, Michigan (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Lansing: Michigan Department of Transportation. Retrieved September 14, 2008.
- Michigan Department of Transportation (1999). Michigan Department of Transportation Map (Map). c. 1:190,080. Lansing: Michigan Department of Transportation. Battle Creek inset. OCLC 42778335, 55974644.