M. V. Ramana is a physicist who works at the Nuclear Futures Laboratory and the Program on Science and Global Security, both at Princeton University, on the future of nuclear power in the context of climate change and nuclear disarmament. Ramana is a member of the International Panel on Fissile Materials and the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists’ Science and Security Board.
Ramana has written many papers and is the author of The Power of Promise: Examining Nuclear Energy in India (Penguin Books, 2012). He is co-editor of Prisoners of the Nuclear Dream (New Delhi: Orient Longman, 2003) and author of Bombing Bombay? Effects of Nuclear Weapons and a Case Study of a Hypothetical Explosion (Cambridge, MA: International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War, 1999).
M. V. Ramana obtained his Ph.D. in Physics from Boston University in 1994 and was a post-doctoral fellow at the Department of Physics, University of Toronto and the Center for International Studies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. In 2014, Ramana received the Leo Szilard Award of the American Physical Society.
- Fissile materials in South Asia and the implications of the US-India nuclear deal, Science and Global Security, 2006, 14 (2-3), 117-143
- Nuclear power: Economic, safety, health, and environmental issues of near-term technologies, Annual Review of Environment and Resources 34, 2009, 127-152
- Economics of nuclear power from heavy water reactors, Economic and Political Weekly, 2005,1763-1773
- Fast breeder reactor programs: History and status, International Panel on Fissile Materials Research Report, 8, 2010
- Nuclear power and the public, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, 2011, 67 (4), 43-51
- India, Pakistan and the Bomb, Scientific American, 2001, 285 (6), 60-71
- Weapon-grade plutonium production potential in the Indian prototype fast breeder reactor, Science and Global Security, 2007, 15 (2), 85-105
- Beyond our imagination: Fukushima and the problem of assessing risk, Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, 2011, 19 April
- Early Warning in South Asia—Constraints and Implications, Science & Global Security, 2003, 11 (2-3), 109-150
- Nuclear Power in India: Failed Past, Dubious Future, 2007, Available at www. npec-web. org/Frameset. asp
- The risks and consequences of nuclear war in South Asia, Out of the Nuclear Shadow, edited by S. Kothari, and Z. Mian, 2001, 185-196
- Costing plutonium: economics of reprocessing in India, International Journal of Global Energy Issues, 2007, 27 (4), 454-471
- The nuclear confrontation in South Asia, SIPRI Yearbook 2003: Armaments, Disarmament and International Security, 195-212
- Frank N. von Hippel
- Edwin Lyman
- Mycle Schneider
- Amory Lovins
- Benjamin K. Sovacool
- International Campaign to Abolish Nuclear Weapons
- M. V. Ramana (July 2011). "Nuclear power and the public". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- "Power of Promise: Pre-Publication Review by Amitav Ghosh". Dianuke. Retrieved 25 October 2012.
- M.V. Ramana (2009, Vol. 34). Nuclear Power: Economic, Safety, Health, and Environmental Issues of Near-Term Technologies, Annual Review of Environment and Resources.
- Divya Badami Rao and M. V. Ramana (3 July 2008). "The Indian approach to climate and energy policy". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- Ashwin Kumar and M. V. Ramana (21 July 2009). "The safety inadequacies of India's fast breeder reactor". Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- IPFM members
- M.V. Ramana, Princeton
- Google Scholar Entry
- The Woodrow Wilson Center's Nuclear Proliferation International History Project or NPIHP is a global network of individuals and institutions engaged in the study of international nuclear history through archival documents, oral history interviews and other empirical sources.