M. G. Sanchez
M. G. Sanchez is a Gibraltarian writer. He has written several novels and books of short stories, all of which broach the subject of Gibraltarian identity. Articles about Sanchez's work have appeared in different European university journals and forums, including British and American Studies, Il Tolomeo, the Alicante Journal of English Studies, ES Review the University of Turin's 'Aperto Unito' website, the Kervan International Journal of Afro-Asiatic Studies, as well as in books such as Ritorno a Babele: esercizi di globalizzazione and (Post)Colonial Passages: Incursions and Excursion Across the Literatures and Cultures in English.
Sanchez has spoken about his books at different European university venues, including the University of Salamanca (in 2016, 2017 and 2018), the University of Turin, the University of the Balearic Islands, the University of Portsmouth, the University of Strasbourg, the University of Barcelona, the University of Northumbria the University of Gibraltar ,and the University of Basel, for which he wrote a special autobiographical piece entitled 'Fifty Years of Unbelonging.' He also took part in the 2017 Gibraltar International Literary Festival, delivering a talk entitled 'Representing Gibraltarianness,' and in the 2018 version of the event, where he gave a talk about his book Bombay Journal. Writing in the well-known British publication the New Statesman in early 2015, Sanchez stated that his intention as a writer and speaker was "to present a Gibraltar that feels more real and more tangible than the “contested territory” cliché that readers so often encounter in newspaper editorials."
Sanchez has also taken part in various radio programmes, including ABC's Late Night Live  with veteran broadcaster Phillip Adams, the BBC World Service's The Cultural Frontline with Tina Daheley and Antena Caro's Lletres Ebrenques with Emigdi Subirats i Sebastià.
His book Past: A Memoir (2016), relates the hardships his family endured during the Gibraltarian border crisis of 2013 and also describes a walk which Sanchez undertook in Gibraltar's Upper Town Area in the company of the British Historian Nicholas Rankin.
Sanchez holds a PhD in English Literature from the University of Leeds.
List of books
Rock Black: Ten Gibraltarian Stories (2006)
Writing the Rock of Gibraltar: An Anthology of Literary Texts, 1720-1890 (2006)
The Prostitutes of Serruya's Lane and other Hidden Histories (2007)
Diary of a Victorian Colonial and other Tales (2008)
Georgian and Victorian Gibraltar: Incredible Eyewitness Accounts (2012)
The Escape Artist (2013)
Solitude House (2015)
Jonathan Gallardo (2015)
Past: A Memoir (2016)
Bombay Journal (2018)
Esterino Adami, ‘A Passage to Gibraltar: Alterity and Representation in M. G. Sanchez,’ Postcolonial Passages: incursions and excursions across the literatures and cultures in English (Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing, 2018), pp. 204–214.
- Stotesbury, John (2016). "Mediterranean Gothic: M.G. Sanchez's Gibraltar Fiction in its Contexts". British and American Studies. 22: 101–110.
- Adami, Esterino (2015). "Review of Solitude House" (PDF). Il Tolomeo. 17: 185–187.
- Seoane, Elena (2016). "Telling the true Gibraltarian Story: an Interview with Gibraltarian writer M.G. Sanchez". Alicante Journal of English Studies. 29: 251–258.
- Manzanas Calvo, Ana María (2017). "The Line and the Limit of Britishness: The Construction of Gibraltarian Identity in M. G. Sanchez's Writing". ES Review. 38: 27–45.
- Adami, Esterino, (2013). "An e-interview with M.G. Sanchez". Aperto Unito. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- Gabay, Rebecca (2018). "M. G. Sanchez's Bombay Journal. Redressing the Past from the Colonial Present". Kervan International Journal of Afro-Asiatic Studies. 22: 291–294.
- Trinchero, Cristina (2013). "La Rocca di Babele: narrazioni e trasformazioni linguistiche in M. G. Sanchez". Ritorno A Babele: Esercizi Di Globalizzazione. Neos Ediozini. pp. 71–81. ISBN 9788866080978.
- Albertazzi, Silvia (2018). "A Passage to Gibraltar: Alterity and Representation in M. G. Sanchez". (Post)Colonial Passages Incursions and Excursions across the Literatures and Cultures in English. Cambridge: Cambridge Scholars Publishing. pp. 204–216. ISBN 978-1-5275-0630-5.
- "'Gibraltarian Writer M. G. Sanchez Recognised by the University of Salamanca'". Your Gibraltar TV. 29 February 2016.
- "'The Border Within' | Sala de Prensa". saladeprensa.usal.es (in Spanish). Retrieved 2017-05-29.
- Team, YGTV. "May 10 - Telling The Gibraltarian Border Story At The University Of Salamanca". Your Gibraltar TV. Retrieved 2018-10-11.
- "'Gibraltarian Author M. G. Sanchez At The University Of Turin'". Your Gibraltar TV. 15 December 2016.
- Balears, Universitat de les Illes. "Language and identity in Gibraltar - Gibraltar - 16-17 - Formació - Cultura - Servei d'Activitats Culturals - Serveis i oficines de la UIB - Estructura - Coneix la UIB - Universitat de les Illes Balears". sac.uib.cat (in Catalan). Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "LVTC - Language Variation and Textual Categorisation". view0.webs.uvigo.es. Retrieved 2017-05-08.
- "Gibraltarian Author Delivers Lecture About The Gibraltar Border At The University Of Portsmouth". Your Gibraltar TV. 26 June 2017.
- "Talking the language of borders at the University of Strasbourg | Gibraltar Chronicle". Retrieved 2018-10-11.
- Team, YGTV. "Oct 25 - Local Writer M. G. Sanchez Delivers 'Tricontinental' Lecture At The University Of Barcelona". Your Gibraltar TV. Retrieved 2018-10-25.
- Team, YGTV. "Nov 05 - M.G. Sanchez Discusses Gibraltar And Brexit At The University Of Northumbria". Your Gibraltar TV. Retrieved 2018-11-06.
- "Writing Gibraltar: A personal history | University of Gibraltar". www.unigib.edu.gi. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- "'Gibraltarian Author M. G. Sanchez Invited To Speak At The University Of Basel'". Your Gibraltar TV. 13 September 2016.
- "Kompetenzzentrum Kulturelle Topographien: M. G. Sanchez on Brexit". kultop.unibas.ch. Retrieved 2017-07-15.
- "Representing Gibraltarianness – Gibraltar Chronicle". chronicle.gi. Retrieved 2017-12-19.
- "Gibraltar Literary Festival". www.gibraltarliteraryfestival.com. Retrieved 2018-11-25.
- Sanchez, M. G. (February 2015). "'If you don't write your own stories, others will...'". New Statesman.
- Adams, Phillip (5 March 2015). "Life on the Rock of Gibraltar". Australian Broadcasting Corporation.
- "Gibraltar Writer Features In BBC Radio Programme". Your Gibraltar TV. Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- "Antena Caro - Mark G. Sánchez, escriptor gibraltareny - 26-04-13". antenacaro.cat (in Catalan). Retrieved 2017-05-01.
- Sanchez, M. G. (2004). Anti-Spanish sentiment in English literary and political writing, 1553-1603 (PDF) (PhD thesis ed.). Brotherton Library, University of Leeds.