|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
M. Karagatsis (Greek: Μ. Καραγάτσης; 23 June 1908 – 14 September 1960) was the pen name of the important modern Greek novelist, journalist, critic and playwright Dimitris Rodopoulos (Δημήτριος Ροδόπουλος). The pen name M. Karagatsis is the name the novelist is known with. The letter "M." comes from Mitya, which is the Russian diminutive of Dimitris (his real name). The word "Karagatsis" comes from the tree karagatsi under the shadow of which he used to write as a young writer.
Karagatsis has been characterized as primarily a prose writer of the illusory reality of persons and situations. His writing is bold, sensual, with great imagination and a unique narrative style, and is often studied by Greek students. His first three novels (Colonel Liapkin, Chimaera and Junkermann) compose a trilogy named Acclimazation under Apollo, about foreigners who live and work in Greece. Karagatsis sets these books in modern, cosmopolitan Greece, in contrast with the stereotype that Greek life is conservative and countrified.
Karagatsis is one of the few modern Greek writers to be translated, (mainly in German, but also in English, Italian, French) and his most important works are:
- Miss Nitsa ( 1929, short novel awarded by literature magazine Nea Estia)
- Colonel Liapkin (1933) (Ο Συνταγματάρχης Λιάπκιν)
- Junkermann (1939) (Γιούγκερμαν)
- The last days of Junkermann (1940) (Τα στερνά του Γιούγκερμαν)
- Lost island (1941) (Χαμένο Νησί)
- The ruler of Kastropyrgos (1944) (Ο Κοτζάμπασης του Καστρόπυργου)
- Great Sleep (1946) (Ο Μεγάλος Ύπνος)
- Bar Eldorado (Stage play, 1946)
- Blood lost and gained (1947) (Αίμα χαμένο και κερδισμένο)
- Carmen (Stage play, 1948)
- History of Greeks (nonfiction, 1952) (Η ιστορία των Ελλήνων)
- At God's Hands (1954)
- Death and Thodoros (1956) (Ο Θάνατος κι ο Θόδωρος)
- Yellow envelope (1957) (Ο Κίτρινος Φάκελος)
- Sergios and Vacchos (1959) (Σέργιος και Βάκχος)
- The 10 (1960) (unfinished)
- M. Vitti, Η γενιά του τριάντα – Ιδεολογία και μορφή [The Generation of the '30s – Ideology and Form], Ermis, Athens, 1977.