M. N. Venkatachaliah
|M. N. Venkatachaliah|
|25th Chief Justice of India|
12 February 1993 – 24 October 1994
|Appointed by||Shankar Dayal Sharma|
|Preceded by||L.M. Sharma|
|Succeeded by||A.M. Ahmadi|
|2nd Chairman National Human Rights Commission|
26 November 1996 – 24 October 1999
|Born||25 October 1929|
Manepalli Narayana Rao Venkatachaliah (born 25 October 1929) was the 25th Chief Justice of India. He served as Chief Justice from 1993 to 1994. He currently serves as the Chancellor of Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (Deemed University), a Modern Gurukula, a place where the teacher-student interaction occurs in the backdrop of the process of Integral Education that includes the five dimensions of: Intellectual, Cultural, Physical, Service and Devotional. and on the Advisory Board of Foundation for Restoration of National Values, a society established in 2008 that strives to restore National and Cultural Values of India.
He earned not only Bachelor in Science but also Bachelor in Law from the University of Mysore. He started practicing law in 1951. He was appointed Permanent Judge of the High Court of Karnataka on 6 November 1975. He was elevated as Judge of the Supreme Court of India on 5 October 1987. Finally, he became the 25th Chief Justice of India on 12 February 1993 and subsequently retired on 24 October 1994.
He is currently serving as the chancellor of the Sri Sathya Institute of Higher Learning, Prasanthi Nilayam
- Padma Vibhushan - India's Second Highest Civilian Honour from the President of India in 2004.
- Doctor of Letters (honoris causa) - Pondicherry University 
- Doctor of Laws (LL.D) (honoris causa) - Manipal University 
- Honorary Doctorate from Rani Channamma University, Belagavi 
- M. N. Venkatachaliah
- M.N. Venkatachaliah | GRAAM
- Parliamentary panel on Lokpal calls ex-CJIs MN Venkatachaliah, JS Verma - India - DNA
- Kalidas Ghalib Foundation
- Former CJI M.N. Venkatachaliah is chancellor of Sri Satya Sai Institute - Deccan Chronicle
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning - Key University Officers
- "People Behind the Movement". Archived from the original on 17 Apr 09. Retrieved 4 December 2012. Check date values in:
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 19 July 2006. Retrieved 31 August 2006.
- rediff.com: The Rediff Interview/Justice M N Venkatachaliah
- Ncrwc - Final Report
- Judicial reforms cannot ignore public perceptions - The New Indian Express
- An exercise to watch
- Honorary doctorate for Nirupama Rao - The Hindu
- Manipal University (via noodls) / The 15th Convocation was unique
- ‘Give a boost to R&D, science’ - The Hindu
- RCU organise first convocation on Feb 16 | Karnataka News | newkerala.com
- RCU organise first convocation on Feb 16 - Chennaionline News Archived 16 December 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
Lalit Mohan Sharma
| Chief Justice of India
12 February 1993–24 October 1994
Aziz Mushabber Ahmadi