This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A.M.N A.M.P DIMP UUM
M. Nasir performing during the 2008 Anugerah Juara Lagu
Mohamad Nasir bin Mohamed|
4 July 1957
Republic of Singapore
|Residence||Sungai Buloh, Selangor Malaysia|
|Nationality||Singaporean - Malaysian|
|Other names||Mohamad MN (briefly in 1981)|
|Occupation||singer-songwriter, composer, producer, actor, & film director|
Mohamad Nasir had been deeply exposed to music not only through listening to the radio; but also his elder brother who had brought him purchased records of bands such as Bob Dylan, Queen, Al Stewart and Led Zeppelin while they were growing up in Singapore in the 1960s and 1970s.
He attended the Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts graduating with a diploma in Western painting, originally wanting to become an artist. He was roped into music making in 1978 when a friend of his Wan Ibrahim, then executive producer of Polygram Singapore, had invited him to write song lyrics for the band Alleycats, who were rising in popularity at that time.
Nasir decided to venture into singing, releasing debut album Untuk Pencinta Seni/Pelukis under the name of Mohamad MN in 1981, which ended up being a flop. He moved on to form folk rock act Kembara with four other members; A. Ali, S. Sahlan, and siblings Abby and Eddie Ali. The Ali siblings however left the group early on the band's formation due to disagreements on picking what genre they were to take.
Kembara released their own self-titled debut album, which became a commercial success with 25,000 copies sold. The band went on releasing six albums riding on their fame until their disbandment in late 1985.
Nasir moved along with his family to Malaysia in 1984, where he became a naturalised citizen in 1989.
He married Junainah Johari, who was the lead singer of Ideal Sisters, Malaysia's earliest girl group. Their relationship - from which they have five children namely Ilham, Yasin, Hidayat, Syafi'i and Nurnilam Sari - lasted until Junainah's death in 8 August 1998 due to asthma. Nasir's second marriage not long after was with actress Marlia Musa, where they have a daughter named Suci Musalmah.
His children also involve themselves in music making: Ilham, Yasin and Hidayat make up the band Pitahati while Syafi'i is a member of the psychedelic rock band Ramayan.
Awards and achievements
|Year||Award||Category||Nominee(s) and recipient(s)||Results|
|1984||Malaysia Film Festival||Best Song||"Sandarkan Kepada Kenangan" - from the movie Azura||Won|
|1990||Malaysia Film Festival||Best Song||Istana Menanti|
|Best Original Film Score||Fenomena|
|1994||Anugerah Juara Lagu||Best Irama Malaysia Song||"Bonda"||Won|
|Best Pop Rock Song||"Tanya Sama Itu Hudhud"||Won|
|Overall Best Song Of The Year||Won|
|Malaysian Video Awards||Silver Award||"Mentera Semerah Padi"||Won|
|1995||Anugerah Bintang Popular||Most Popular Artiste||Won|
|1997||Anugerah Skrin TV3||Best Film||Merah||Won|
|2001||Anugerah Planet Muzik||Popular Male Artiste||Won|
|Best Male Artiste||Won|
|Best Album||Phoenix Bangkit||Won|
|Anugerah Bintang Popular||Most Popular Male Singer||Won|
|Anugerah Industri Muzik||Best Male Vocal Performance||Srikandi Cintaku|
|Best Rock Album Producer||AKU - by Amy Search|
|2002||Anugerah Indusri Muzik||WIRAMA Award - honorary award for great contributions towards the Malaysian music Industry||Won|
|2012||Angerah Juara Lagu||Best Song||Awan Nano - performed by Hafiz||Won|
- 1994: awarded the Ahli Mangku Negara (A.M.N.) by the then-Yang di-Pertuan Agong, Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah ibni al-Marhum Sultan Hisamuddin Alam Shah.
- 2001: awarded the Ahli Mahkota Pahang (A.M.P) by the Sultan of Pahang, Ahmad Shah.
- 2011: awarded the ‘Darjah Indera Mahkota Pahang’ by the Sultan of Pahang, which grants the title of "Dato'".
- 2014: conferred the Honorary Degree of Doctor of Philosophy (Creative Industries Management) by Universiti Utara Malaysia
- Kembara (1981)
- Perjuangan (1982)
- Generasiku (1983)
- 1404 Hijrah (1984)
- Seniman Jalanan (1984)
- Duit (1985)
- Untuk Pencinta Seni (1979)
- Dia Ibuku (1981)
- Irama M.Nasir – instrumental LP (1982)
- Solo (1988)
- Saudagar Mimpi (1992)
- Canggung Mendonan (1993)
- Srikandi Cintaku (1999)
- Phoenix Bangkit (2001)
- Sang Pencinta (2006)
- Best Of Kembara (2001)
- Best of M. Nasir Dengan Kembara (2001)
|1986||Kembara Seniman Jalanan||Bujang / Jebat||Nasir Jani||Also as writer and composer|
|Balik Kampung||Album Producer||Zainal Othman|
|1990||Fenomena||Azlan||Aziz M. Osman|
|1992||Selubung||Kamal||Datin Paduka Shuhaimi Baba|
|1993||Balada||Desa||Tan Sri Jins Shamsuddin|
|1994||Simfoni Duniaku||Iskandar||Datuk Aziz Sattar|
|1997||Merah||Hassan||Himself||Also as director and writer|
|1999||Perempuan Melayu Terakhir||Himself (The Stage Actor)||Erma Fatima|
|2001||Putih||Prince Aftus||Rashid Sibir||Voice actor|
|2004||Puteri Gunung Ledang||Hang Tuah||Saw Teong Hin|
|2010||Magika||Naga Tasik Chini (the Chini Lake Dragon)||Edry Abdul Halim|
|2014||Yasmine||Datuk Raja Nan Hitam||Siti Kamaluddin
Chan Man Ching
|2017||Tombiruo: Penunggu Rimba||Tan Sri Berham||Seth Larney|
|2005||Akademi Fantasia (season 3)||Himself (Principal)||Astro Ria||reality TV show|
|2000||Salam Taj Mahal||Master Ji||TV3|
|2018||Dosa: Sacred Sin||Latif||Astro First Exclusive||8 Episode|
- Adly Syairi Ramly; Sheryl Stothard (November 2001). PHOENIX BANGKIT: BACK TO ROOTS?. TONE. p. 46–49 – via Prahara Seni.
- "Wavelength: The Journeyman". BFM 89.9 (Interview). Interviewed by Ali Johan. BFM 89.9. 20 February 2016. Retrieved 8 March 2017.
- "M. Nasir: Traditional music meets Western sounds". The Straits Times. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- Goh, Daryl (29 April 2015). "M. Nasir: He sings, he writes, now he's making art". The Star. Retrieved 22 March 2017.
- Ku Seman Ku Hussein (13 August 1998). "Apabila irama terhenti seketika" (in Malay). Utusan Malaysia. Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Begum, Mumtaj (18 November 2011). "Mahawangsa triumphs". The Star. Archived from the original on 19 November 2011. Retrieved 8 May 2012.
- "Semakan Penerima Darjah Kebesaran, Bintang dan Pingat".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to M. Nasir.|