M. Ram Murty
|M. Ram Murty|
16 October 1953 |
|Alma mater||Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
|Doctoral advisor||Harold Stark
Dorian M. Goldfeld
|Notable awards||Coxeter–James Prize (1988)|
Maruti Ram Pedaprolu Murty, FRSC (born 16 October 1953 in Guntur, India) is an Indo-Canadian mathematician, currently head of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Queen's University, where he holds a Queen's Research Chair  in mathematics.
Specialising in number theory, Murty is a researcher in the areas of modular forms, elliptic curves, and sieve theory. He was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1990, was elected to the Indian National Science Academy (INSA) in 2008, and has won numerous prestigious awards in mathematics, including the Coxeter–James Prize. A highly learned Hindu scholar, Murty is also cross-appointed as a professor of philosophy at Queen's, specialising in Indian philosophy.
Murty graduated with a B.Sc. from Carleton University in 1976. He received his Ph.D. in 1980 from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, supervised by Harold Stark. He was on the faculty of McGill University from 1982 until 1996, when he joined Queen's.
Murty has Erdős number 1, and has collaborated with dozens of other researchers, including frequent joint work with his brother, V. Kumar Murty. In 2012 he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Cojocaru, Alina Carmen; Murty, M. Ram (2006). An introduction to sieve methods and their applications. London Mathematical Society Student Texts. 66. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-84816-4. MR 2200366..
- Murty, M. Ram; Murty, V. Kumar (1991). "Mean values of derivatives of modular L-series". Annals of Mathematics (2). Annals of Mathematics. 133 (3): 447–475. JSTOR 2944316. MR 1109350. doi:10.2307/2944316..
- "Biographies of Candidates 2007" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 54 (8): 1043–1057. September 2007. Retrieved 25 May 2009.
- "Ram Murty's home page". Retrieved 22 January 2012.
- "Membership". Royal Society of Canada. Retrieved 10 October 2010.
- "INSA newsletter" (PDF). Indian National Science Academy (INSA). Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- M. Ram Murty at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2013-02-10.
|This article about a Canadian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|