|Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA)|
|Political party||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam|
M. Ramachandran is an Indian politician belong to Pinnaiyur West near Orathanadu who is serving as the Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Orathanadu constituency in the 15th Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly.
Ramachandran was elected from the Orathanadu constituency in the 2016 state assembly elections as a candidate of the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) party. In winning the seat, he defeated the incumbent MLA and Minister for Housing and Agriculture, R. Vaithilingam, in what was described as a giant-killing outcome. Vaithilingam had won the seat, which was largely dependent on agriculture, in the previous three elections, while Ramachandran was a late entry as a candidate in the election, being nominated by the DMK as a replacement for the party's original choice of S. S. Rajkumar in April of election year. Rajkumar, a brother of S. S. Palanimanickam, had decided that Thanjavur was the only constituency for which he was prepared to stand.
Ramachandran was previously elected to the Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly from the Thiruvonam constituency in the 1989 and 1996 elections. He lost the contest for the seat in 1991 and 2001. In 2006, the DMK were involved in an electoral pact which meant that he was not allowed to stand as a candidate. The party's decision to stand aside in favour of a candidate from the Pattali Makkal Katchi was met with protests from local supporters of Ramachandran.
- "Orathanadu (Tamil Nadu) Election Results 2016". Infobase. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
- "DMK and AIADMK edge out others in Thanjavur district". The Hindu. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Ravikumar, N. (7 May 2016). "R Vaithilingam banks on development schemes, easy access to people". Deccan Chronicle. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "DMK changes Orathanad candidate". The Hindu. 17 April 2016. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- Kolappan, B. (21 April 2016). "Descendants shine in party of rising sun". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 21 April 2016.
- "Statistical Report on General Election, 1989" (PDF). Election Commission of India. p. 8. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Statistical Report on General Election, 1996" (PDF). Election Commission of India. p. 9. Retrieved 6 May 2017.
- "Statistical Report on General Election, 1991" (PDF). Election Commission of India. p. 309. Retrieved 15 May 2017.
- "Cadres upset over choice of DMK candidate". The Hindu. 3 April 2006. Retrieved 14 May 2017.
|This article about a Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|