M. S. Narasimhan
Mudumbai Seshacharlu Narasimhan
Narasimhan in Bengaluru (2010).
|Doctoral advisor||K. S. Chandrasekharan|
|Doctoral students||M. S. Raghunathan |
V. K. Patodi
T. R. Ramadas
Mudumbai Seshachalu Narasimhan FRS (born 7 June 1932) is an Indian mathematician. He is known, along with C. S. Seshadri, for their proof of the Narasimhan–Seshadri theorem, and both were elected as Fellows of the Royal Society. He has been the only Indian to receive the King Faisal International Prize in the field of science.
Narasimhan did his undergraduate studies at Loyola College, Chennai, where he was taught by Fr Racine. Fr Racine had studied with the famous French mathematicians Élie Cartan and Jacques Hadamard, and connected his students with the latest developments in modern mathematics. Among Racine's other students who achieved eminence are Subbaramiah Minakshisundaram, K. G. Ramanathan, C S Seshadri, Raghavan Narasimhan, and C. P. Ramanujam.
Narasimhan went to the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR), Bombay, for his graduate studies. He obtained his Ph.D. from University of Mumbai in 1960; his advisor was K. S. Chandrasekharan.
Degrees and posts held
- Visiting Scholar, Institute for Advanced Study (1968-1969)
- Fellow of the Royal Society, London
- Head, Mathematics Group of the Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (1992–1999)
- Honorary Fellow, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bangalore Centre.
Awards and felicitations
- Spirit of Salam award (2020)
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize (1975)
- TWAS Prize for Mathematics (1987)
- Padma Bhushan (1990)
- King Faisal International Prize for Science, 2006 (jointly with Simon Donaldson, Imperial College)
- Narasimhan, M. S. (2007), Nitsure, Nitin (ed.), The Collected Papers of M. S. Narasimhan. Volume I: 1956-1984 Volume II:1985-2001, Hindustan Book Agency and Indian National Science Academy, ISBN 978-81-85931-77-7
- Narasimhan, M. S.; Seshadri, C. S. (1965). "Stable and unitary vector bundles on a compact Riemann surface". Annals of Mathematics. 82: 540–567. doi:10.2307/1970710. MR 0184252.
- Profile of Mudumbai Seshachalu Narasimhan
- "Community of Scholars Profile: Narasimhan, Mudumbai S." Institute for Advanced Study. Archived from the original on 7 January 2013. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Prizes and Awards". The World Academy of Sciences. 2016.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.
- *Donaldson and Narasimhan Receive 2006 King Faisal Prize - Notices of the American Mathematical Society, March 2006, Volume 53, Number 3.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to M. S. Narasimhan.|