M. S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology
|Motto||Service to Humanity is Service to God|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
|Affiliations||Visvesvaraya Technological University|
M. S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology (MSRIT) is an autonomous private engineering college located in Bangalore, Karnataka and is affiliated to the Visvesvaraya Technological University headquartered at Belgaum, Karnataka, India. The college was established in 1962. Since August 2007, MSRIT has been academically autonomous for both Undergraduate and Postgraduate Programs. While VTU will still award the degrees, the college has academic freedom in framing its own schemes of study, curricula and student evaluation. MSRIT offers undergraduate and graduate courses of study and research including Bachelor of Engineering, Bachelor of Architecture, Master of Technology, Master of Business Administration and offers programs leading to award of PhD in various disciplines. In 2013, MSRIT was ranked 16th best engineering College in India by India Today and Neilson. The same survey also rated the college as the best in Karnataka. MSRIT is also a research centre in 12 areas including engineering and management disciplines. MSRIT is the only engineering college in Bangalore that is autonomous for both undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
The institute has academic alliances with Intel, IBM, Schneider Electric, JSW Steel, Cognizant EMC, Nokia and other multinationals. It also partnered ISRO in 2010 to build the StudSat nano satellite and MSRIT was chosen in 2012 to join the consortium of colleges that would assist ISRO in thepresntl StudSat-2. The institute is also credited for the development of India's first unmanned air vehicle (UAV) with an autopilot system.
- 1 History
- 2 Administration
- 3 Affiliations and approvals
- 4 Undergraduate courses
- 5 Post graduate courses
- 6 Research programs
- 7 Activities
- 8 Industry recognition
- 9 Alumni
- 10 Placements
- 11 Rating by National Media
- 12 Conferences
- 13 Sports
- 14 Gallery
- 15 References
- 16 External links
MSRIT was founded in 1962 by the late Dr. M. S. Ramaiah, an educationist, philanthropist, and infrastructure visionary. MSRIT is part of Gokula Education Foundation (GEF) which owns and manages several educational institutions across various streams. The foundation also runs a Multi Speciality Hospital. MSRIT was the first institute started by the Gokula Education Foundation.
MSRIT is in the 54th year of existence and is one of the oldest engineering colleges in south India. Only 5 other engineering institutions have achieved this mark in Karnataka-UVCE, BMSCE in Bangalore, BVB College of Engineering & Technology in Hubli Malnad College of Engineering in Hassan and Siddaganga institute of technology(Tumkur).
M. R. Seetharam,son of M. S. Ramaiah, currently heads the college management as director.
The autonomy given to the institute by the government is only for academic matters. The governing council of the college includes two principals of other colleges, one state government of Karnataka bureaucrat, one central government of India bureaucrat, and one member from the VTU.
Affiliations and approvals
Initially, MSRIT was affiliated to Mysore University, later with the Bangalore University (until 2002) and now Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. It is an institutional member of the ISTE and is recognised by the All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE) which is a must for any technical institute in India. It has been certified ISO 9001:2008 and has been accredited for quality education by the Central government of India Body National Board of Accreditation. The Architecture Department is approved by Council of Architecture(Government of India).
MSRIT offers Bachelor of Engineering(BE) and Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) at the Under Graduate level. The Program spans over 4 years and is offered in 12 different branches. The Course structure is designed by the faculty of the college with the consultation of the faculty at VTU and IISc.
The intake in the college is fixed by AICTE in India and no affiliated college has the right to increase the intake. This rule applies even to colleges that are academically autonomous. In 2010, MSRIT's students bagged 29 VTU medals in academics. This medal tally was only next to RVCE in the state and was among 186 affiliated colleges of VTU. The medals were given away by governor of Karnataka Hansraj Bhardwaj.
Bachelor of Engineering
List of undergraduate programs offered at MSRIT
- Bachelor of Engineering in Biotechnology
- Bachelor of Engineering in Chemical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Civil Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Computer Science And Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical Electronics Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Industrial Engineering and Management
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanical Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunication Engineering
- Bachelor of Engineering in Information Science
- Bachelor of Engineering in Medical Electronics
The college offers 5-year Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch) at the Undergraduate level.
Post graduate courses
The Institute offers 2-year Master of Technology (MTech) in the following Branches.
- VLSI & Embedded Systems
- Structural Engineering
- Digital Communication
- Digital Electronics And Communication
- Software Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Manufacturing Science & Engineering
- Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Computer Application in Industrial Drives
- Industrial Engineering
Master of Architecture (Landscape Architecture)
The college offers PhD program in 12 areas. MSRIT is an approved Research Centre by Government of Karnataka.
- PhD of Civil Engineering
- PhD of Mechanical Engineering
- PhD of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- PhD of Electronics Communication Engineering
- PhD of Chemical Engineering
- PhD of Computer Engineering
- PhD of Industrial Engineering Management
- PhD of Biotechnology
- PhD of Chemistry
- PhD of Physics
- PhD of Mathematics
- PhD in Management and Business
The college also offers M.Sc. (Eng) by Research
- IEEE: The college has an IEEE Student branch. The IEEE-MSRIT celebrates its tech fest Aavishkaar each year Various competitions such as Algomach (On Spot Programming), Design and Debugging (Circuit debugging), Robotics, Cyber Treasure Hunt (CTH), Paper Presentation, Gaming, Tech Quiz, Product Design, 8086/8051 Programming, Amazing Race, Photoshop Contest are held along with Workshops.
- TEDxMSRIT: This student organisation conducted a national event in March 2012. The event involved speakers such as Atul Chitnis, Dr.Devi Prasad Shetty, Soumitra Bhattacharya Praveen Godkhindi and others.
- UDBHAV: UDBHAV is the annual Cultural Fest held at MSRIT every year.
- VTU Fest: The Government of Karnataka in association with MSRIT held the 13th annual Youth Fest at MSRIT. The fest was named 'Udbhav'. The fest was open to all engineering colleges.
Notable Student Projects
- In 2015, Team EDHITHA from MSRIT clinched 1st Prize competing against 39 international teams including teams from Israel, USA, at the Student Unmanned Air Systems (SUAS) competition at Maryland, USA., becoming the first Indian team in the history of the competition to clinch the title.The team beat 39 teams from USA, Canada,Germany, Israel and Romania.It's indeed an incredible achievement when you defeat teams from top universities such as Cornell, NCSU, Israel Institute of Technology and the likes.The team was also awarded $6,900.The competition was conducted in Patuxent River Naval Airbase.
EDHITHA Team Members: Adarsh Joseph, Akash Muralidhar, Deborshi Goswami, Gandhar Kunte, Indhu Kamala Kumar, Kamesh Krishnan, Pawan Sudhindra Rao, Praneeta Mallela, Raghav, Sankha Karfa, Saurabh Sanjay Hindlekar, Sharath Monappa Nairy, Vishnu BN, Viswanathan Ramanathan.
- In 2014, a 4-member team led by Adithya Srinivasan from the department of Computer Science and Engineering developed a platform independent, secure and optimised identity service under the UIDAI at FINO PayTech used to simplify and enhance security in various institutions like banks, hospitals, hotels and insurance companies.
- In 2012, The MSRIT robotics team developed an autonomous unmanned ground vehicle (UGV) named “Moksha”, capable of following a prescribed track while avoiding obstacles in its path, to reach a set of specified GPS coordinates. The project was exhibited at Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition (IGVC) held annually at Oakland University, Michigan, USA. The project also attracted sponsorships from various private companies. MSRIT was the only entry from India in IGVC 2011.
- In 2011, Students of MSRIT developed a system that can capture the brainwaves of a person and can be used as an authentication mechanism for personal identification.
- In 2011, MSRIT students registered victory at the Student Unmanned Air Systems (SUAS) competition at Maryland, USA. The SUAS competition involves constructing an auto-piloted unmanned air vehicle.
- In 2010, the college was part of a consortium of 7 Indian colleges that developed a satellite known as StudSat for Indian Space Research Organisation in 2010. The pico satellite was launched by the PSLV C-15 on 12 June 2010 from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota. The camera on board has a low resolution of 90 metres. The panchromatic images are designed to provide terrain information during the satellite's short lifespan of six months to one year.
- Karnataka's first IBM Centre of Excellence was established on 19 March 2009 at MSRIT. This center has been in involved in training students with software like DB2, Tivoli, etc.
- Schneider Electric: MSRIT has signed a memorandum of understanding With global energy management company Schneider Electric to promote technical excellence in the field of electronics, software and control engineering. The MoU covers “university partnership for curriculum development” and through this arrangement MSRIT has developed two courses – advanced industrial automation and modern controls, and energy management
- JSW Energy Centre of Excellence (JSWECE). MSRIT entered into a MoU with 8 Billion USD company JSW Energy for offering a one-year full-time Post Graduate Diploma in Power Plant Engineering for engineering graduates
- Intel Center of Excellence: International microprocessor giant Intel entered into an agreement with MSRIT to open a Centre of excellence in January 2010. The event was attended by Scott apeland who is the Director of Developer Networks at Intel, USA. The program aims at faculty development and inclusion of Intel processor in curricula of MSRIT. This center is only one of its kind in Karnataka.
- Cognizant Technology Solutions is entering into an agreement with MSRIT in a collaboration to create industry specific courses for students.
- Autodesk has recognised M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology as one of the Zonal Centre for the YEARLY CAD DESIGN CONTEST.
- Autodesk has awarded Professor Sunith Babu L from Department of Mechanical Engineering, M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology as India's First Autodesk Certified Instructor.
- Autodesk has recognised Professor Sunith Babu L from Department of Mechanical Engineering, M.S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology as an Academic Council Member for "All India 3D Student Design Competition".
The college has an alumni association which is known as MSRITAA. The MSRITAA has initiated a book bank scheme and funding of research projects, among other activities.
- Sajjan Jindal who passed out of the college in 1972 with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering is currently the Managing Director of JSW Steel.
- Dr. S.C. Sharma, another alumnus of the institute, is currently the Vice Chancellor of Tumkur University and he is also the Chairman of Karnataka State Council for Higher Education.
- K .Mallikharjuna Babu serves as the principal of a major engineering college BMSCE.
- Alok Kumar Mehta (born 3 November 1966) was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Samastipur constituency of Bihar and is a member of the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) political party.
- Komal Jha, an alumnus of the institute who completed her graduation in Civil Engineering from the batch of 2008, currently is an actress in Hindi, Telugu, Kannada and Malayalam film industries.
- Guruprasad Venkatesha who graduated in industrial engineering is the Chairman CEO of ShareGiants Wealth Advisors Private Limited. He is often referred to as the youngest CEO of a Investment Management Company in India. 
- Jasbir Singh a 1984 batch electrical engineer of the institute is the director of GMW.
- Suhas Gopinath, an alumnus of MSRIT Information Science Department became the world's youngest CEO at the age of 17. He currently heads Globals Inc.
- Adithya Srinivasan, an alumnus of the batch of 2014, department of Computer Science, was considered for a nomination at the 57th Grammy Awards.
- Jayanth Janardhan, an alumnus of the batch 2007, department of Electronics & Communication former India tennis player
- Sudheer Babu, (dropped out) Tollywood hero, primarily works in Telugu Film Industry, is the brother-in-law of Telugu actor Mahesh Babu and son-in-law of veteran Telugu actor Krishna.
- Manish Kumar a 2001 batch MCA CEO of Enaviya .
- Kanan Gill has done B.E. in Computer Science and currently a stand-up comedian and YouTuber, known for his YouTube series, Pretentious Movie Reviews.
Major Companies including Google, Schneider Electric, Accenture, Capgemini, Toyota, Larsen & Toubro, Carillion, Emaar, Amazon.com and Mu Sigma Inc recruit most of students on the campus. In 2008, 128 companies visited the institute for recruitment, but the figure dramatically plunged to 62 in 2009 to the global economic slowdown
Rating by National Media
MSRIT was ranked 21st in India by India Today in 2007. MSRIT was put on 3rd spot in the list of top colleges in India by national weekly Outlook in 2007. The college was ranked 22nd among private institutions in India by the weekly Outlook. The college was ranked 6th by CollegeKhabar in 2012. Cetinformation.com rated the college as the 3rd best in Karnataka. MSRIT was ranked 16 among top 25 engineering colleges in INDIA by INDIATODAY survey according to 2013
- EMC Academic Summit 2012 was held at MSRIT in February 2012 for the heads of leading technical universities in India.
- Yantotsav is a national level student project exhibition that is held each year at MSRIT.
MSRIT hosts annual Dr. M.S. Ramaiah memorial national inter-engineering college cricket tournament. MSRIT cricket team won the inter-engineering collegiate cricket tournament 2004 beating BMS College of Engineering in the finals in November 2004. MSRIT emerged as champions in Dr. M. S. Ramaiah memorial cricket tournament in September,2012 after beating RVCE in the finals.
MSRIT won the Men's tennis championship in the year 2004 competing against more than 50 colleges from karnataka.. MSRIT emerged Champions in the women's tennis in 2012 amongst 190 engineering colleges in Karnataka. MSRIT men's basketball team won the ‘Kreedotsav-2012‘ Ooman Mathew memorial inter-collegiate basketball tournament on defeating RVCE
MSRIT Basket Ball emerged as the champions in the All India Basketball tournament. MSRIT also hosts Dr M.S. Ramaiah Memorial all-India inter-engineering college basketball tournament. MSRIT defeated NCET 34-14 in the final to win the ‘Revamp 2012' State-level inter-collegiate basketball tournament at the REVA College.
- "VTU". VTU(Government of Karnataka). Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "Circular" (PDF). Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belgaum. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "MSRIT Ranked 16th in India". Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- "Intel Centre of Excellence MSRIT". Intel corporation USA. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Intel's Collaboration with Worldwide universities". Intel corporation USA. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "IBM Centre of Excellence". IBM. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "MOU with Schneider Electric for technical excellence". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "JSW centre of Excellence". JSW Centre of Excellence. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "MSRIT Cognizant Agreement". Deccan Herald. 20 May 2012. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "List of Academic partners in India". EMC. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "StudSat 2 Team Members". ISRO StudSat Team. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "List of Consortium colleges of StudSat1 and StudSat2". ISRO StudSat. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "MSRIT develops India's First UAV". DNA India. June 10, 2011. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "M S RAMAIAH in the list of top hospitals in Bangalore" (PDF). The week-malayalamanoroma. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Link to MS Ramaiah Hospital". Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Quailty at MSRIT". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "MSRIT mandatory disclosure" (PDF). This document is an authentic piece of information on the faculty and facilities in the college. Any misleading information in this document attracts severe action by AICTE (Central government of india). MSRIT. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "AICTE list of approved institutions in Karnataka" (PDF). All India Council For technical education. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "QMS ISO 9001:2008 Certificate". MSRIT. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "List of all accredited Technical Colleges in India". National Board of Accreditation. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "List of all approved Architecture Colleges in India" (PDF). Counicil OF architecture-Government of India. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Official Seat Matrix" (PDF). Karnataka Examinations Authority( Government of Karnataka). Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "RVCE tops ;MSRIT second". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Visvesvaraya Technological University(Government)Website showing that Research is permitted at MSRIT". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum (a Government university). Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Civil Engineering Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Mechanical Engineering Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU List of Electronics Communication Engineering Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Computer Engineering Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Industrial Engineering Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of chemistry Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Physics Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Mathematics Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "VTU list of Management Sciences Research Centres". Visvesvaraya Technological University, Belegaum. Retrieved 21 July 2012.
- "IEEE MSRIT".
- "IEEE Bangalore region list". IEEE Bangalore. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Aavishkaar MSRIT fest". Seccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Aavishkaar on Deccan Herald". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "IEEE MSRIT fest region list". IEEE Bangalore. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "TEDxMSRIT Event". TED. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Cultural extravaganza at MSRIT". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Udbhav official Site". VTU-MSRIT. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "VTU official order on Fest at MSRIT" (PDF). Part of Rules of fest. Visvesvaraya Technogical University. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Results of the 13th Annual AUVSI Student UAS Competition at Webster Field, Maryland". www.auvsi-seafarer.org.
- "2015 Student UAS Competition". www.auvsi-seafarer.org.
- "2012 IGVC Design Reports". www.igvc.org.
- "IGVC Rules". www.igvc.org.
- "Intelligent Ground Vehicle Competition". www.igvc.org.
- "IGVC Teams". www.igvc.org.
- "Deccan Herald". Deccan Herald.
- "BIGNEWS.BIZ". bignews.biz.
- "BIGNEWS.BIZ". bignews.biz.
- "Deccan Herald". Deccan Herald.
- ELECTRONICFORU.COM. Innovation: EFY Magazine.
- ELECTRONICFORU.COM. ElectronicsForYou.
- "MSRIT Project Moksha". M S Ramaiah Institute of Technology.
- "Brainwave identification". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "MSRIT win at MaryLand, USA". The Hindu. 20 July 2011. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Times of India article on StudSat". Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Team StudSat Student Profiles". Team StudSat(ISRO). Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "City students to launch eye in the sky". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Mou with scneider". Deccan herald.
- "JSW Energy Centre of Excellence (JSWECE) MOU" (PDF). Jindal energy. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Intel Karnataka Inintiative" (PDF). This work discusses Intel's partnerships with various organisations in Karnataka. Intel USA. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "AUTODESK CAD DESIGN CONTEST".
- "AUTODESK CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR".
- "Industry - Institute Academic Council Member".
- "MSRIT alumni Association". MSRITAA. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Sajjan Jinal returns to alma mater to celebrate golden Jubilee". The Hindu. 10 June 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "BIO DATA of DR.SC SHARMA" (PDF). RVCE. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "Mandatory Disclosure -BMSCE" (PDF). This document which is verified by government and updated each year gives the list of all faculty along with their educational qualification. BMS College of engineering. Retrieved 26 July 2012.
- "guruprasad at EDC MSRIT". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Jasbir Singh at MSRIT alumni meet- milana 2011". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Suhas gopinath interview". In the second paragraph of the introduction to the interview, It is mentioned that he was an alumnus of MS Ramaiah Institute of Information Technology. People for ethical treatment of animals. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "Globals Inc Management". Globals Inc.
- "Indian Express / Music : B'lore singer to send track for Grammys". Indian Express. 2014-06-17. Retrieved 2014-06-20.
- "Placements at MSRIT". Deccan herald. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "Placements drying up". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "MSRIT ranked 21st in India". India Today. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "Outlook India Rankings 2007". Outlook India. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Rankings Outlook INDIA". Outlook India. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "College Rankings". College Khabar. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Ranking BY Cetinformation". List of all colleges as per the ranks. CET INFORAMATION. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "ICAdC 2012 Researchbib.com". researchbib.com. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "ICAdC 2012 Conferencealerts.com". conferencealerts.com. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "Proceedings of MSRIT ICAdC 2012". Springer Publishing, USA. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "EMC Academic Summit". EMC india. Retrieved 6 October 2012.
- "MSRIT exhibition". The HIndu. 4 May 2012. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Dr. M.S. Ramaiah memorial inter-engineering college cricket tournament". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "MSRIT triumphs in Cricket". The Hindu. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "MSRIT triumphs". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "RVCE, MSRIT win in Tennis". The Deccan Herald. Retrieved 25 July 2012.
- "MSRIT Tennis Team Clinch title". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "MSRIT -Ooman Mathew tournament". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "MSRIT champions in Basketball". Deccan Herald. 11 October 2011. Retrieved 27 July 2012.
- "amritha College of Engineering wins m s ramaiah memorial basketball". The HIndu. Retrieved 29 July 2012.
- "Revamp". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "MSRIT women team -champion". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to M. S. Ramaiah Institute of Technology.|