M. Tamer Özsu
M. Tamer Özsu
M. Tamer Özsu in 2018
|Born||March 18, 1951|
|Alma mater||Ohio State University (PhD)
Ohio State University (MS)
Middle East Technical University (MSc)Middle East Technical University (BSc)
|Known for||Distributed and parallel data management|
|Academic advisors||Bruce Weide|
M. Tamer Özsu (born March 18, 1951) is a Turkish Canadian computer scientist working in the area of distributed and parallel data management. He is a University Professor in the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science at the University of Waterloo.
Career and research
Özsu was born in Tavşanlı, Turkey. After completing bachelor's and master's degrees in industrial engineering at Middle East Technical University in Ankara, Turkey in 1974 and 1978, respectively, he completed an MS in 1981 and a PhD in 1983 in computer and information science at the Ohio State University.
After his doctoral degree, Özsu accepted a position as an assistant professor of computing science at the University of Alberta in 1984. In 2000, he joined the David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science as a professor.
Özsu's research is on large-scale data distribution and management of non-relational data. He coauthored with Patrick Valduriez Principles of Distributed Database Systems, third edition. He is co-editor-in-chief, with Ling Liu, of the Encyclopedia of Database Systems, is the founding editor-in-chief of ACM Books, and the founding series editor (2009–14) of Synthesis Lectures on Data Management.
Awards and honours
In 2018, Özsu was named University Professor, a position the University of Waterloo established in 2005 to recognize exceptional scholarly achievement and international pre-eminence among its faculty. He is a current holder of a David R. Cheriton Faculty Fellowship in Computer Science from 2018–21, a position he held previously from 2013–16.
Özsu was named a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2017, a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 2016, and an elected member of the Turkish Academy of Sciences in 2013. He became a Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers in 2010 and a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery in 2006.
- "Professor Tamer Özsu named University Professor | Cheriton School of Computer Science". 2018-03-16.
- "Principles of Distributed Database Systems". Springer Nature Switzerland. November 2010.
- "Encyclopedia of Database Systems". Springer Nature Switzerland. 2009.
- "Board members | ACM books". ACM Books.
- "Synthesis Lectures on Data Management". Morgan & Claypool Publishers. 2008.
- "University Professors | Provost Office". University of Waterloo.
- "David R. Cheriton Faculty Fellowships in Computer Science | David R. Cheriton School of Computer Science". University of Waterloo. 2018.
- "2017 AAAS Fellows Recognized for Advancing Science | American Association for the Advancement of Science". American Association for the Advancement of Science. November 20, 2017.
- "Fellows Directory | Royal Society of Canada". Royal Society of Canada. 2016.
- "CS Members Elevated to Fellows | IEEE Computer Society". IEEE Computer Society. December 7, 2010.
- "ACM Fellows". Association for Computing Machinery. 2006.