M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage|
|Place of origin||United States|
|Shell||separate loading, bagged charge|
|Rate of fire||Sustained:|
|Muzzle velocity||1,925 ft/s|
|Effective firing range||Conventional:|
|Maximum firing range||16,800 m|
|Sights||M13 or M6|
|Suspension||HVSS (Horizontal Volute Spring Suspension)|
The 203 mm Howitzer Motor Carriage M43 was an American self-propelled artillery vehicle built on a widened and lengthened Medium Tank M4A3 chassis, but with a Continental engine and HVSS that was introduced at the end of the Second World War. The M43 shared the same chassis as the more widely produced M40 Gun Motor Carriage, which instead mounted a 155 mm gun, and were designed by the Pressed Steel Car Company. A production run of 576 was planned originally, but in the end only 24 were produced and another 24 were converted from M40 hulls. The M43 went on to serve in the Korean War, and was retired after its conclusion.
Equipped with a M115 203 mm (8") Howitzer, it was designed to replace the earlier M12 Gun Motor Carriage. Its prototype designation was the T89, but this was changed to the M43 in March 1945. The 41.5 ton vehicles struggled to keep up with mechanized formations, but were successful when employed in more stationary roles.
A single pilot vehicle was deployed in Europe before the end of World War II and was used in action by the 991st Field Artillery Regiment, first seeing action as part of Zebra Force in February 1945 in the capture of Cologne.
- 8 inch Howitzer Motor Carriage M43 - 8 inches (203 mm) HMC, standardized August 1945; 48 were built.
- The Army planned to use the same T38 chassis for a family of SP artillery.
- Cargo Carrier T30 - a few built before cancellation in December 1944 to make more chassis' available for GMCs.
- one at the Fort Sill museum, OK
- one in Wyoming, MI
- one in American Society of Military History Museum, South El Monte, CA
- List of U.S. military vehicles by model number
- List of U.S. military vehicles by supply catalog designation
- M55 self propelled howitzer
- "M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage". Military Factory. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- "M43 Howitzer Motor Carriage". Military History Encyclopedia of the Web. Retrieved 29 March 2016.
- TM 9-747
- SNL G232