M5 motorway (Pakistan)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Pakistan M-5.svg

M-5
Route information
Maintained by National Highway Authority
Length: 392 km[1] (244 mi)
Existed: 2018 – present
Major junctions
North end: Multan (M4)
South end: Sukkur (M6)
Location
Major cities: Shujabad
Rahim Yar Khan
Ghotki
Pano Aqil
Highway system
Roads in Pakistan

The M5 (Urdu: موٹروے 5‎) is an under construction north-south motorway in Pakistan, which will connect Multan to Sukkur. The motorway is 392 km long.[2]

History[edit]

It was devised in the early 1990s under as the M5 Motorway. It is now considered a major component of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor, and will cost approximately $6.6 billion, with the bulk of financing to be distributed by various Chinese state-owned banks.[3] Approval for a Chinese-financed motorway between Karachi and Lahore predates the formal announcement of CPEC, and was granted in July 2014.[4] Plans for such a motorway linking the two cities was first devised over 25 years ago, with construction works on Pakistan's first motorway projects commencing in 1991.[5]

Route[edit]

The 392 kilometer Multan to Sukkur section of the motorway is estimated to cost $2.89 billion,[2] and will be six lanes wide.[6] 90% of the project's cost is to be financed through concessionary loans from China, while the remaining will be financed by government of Pakistan.[7] The Pakistani government in January 2016 awarded the contact to build this section to China State Construction Engineering.[2] It is due to be completed in December 2017.[2] Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif inaugurated the Multan-Sukkur Motorway on May 6, 2016. Starting from Multan the six lane motorway would pass through Jalalpur, Peerwala, Ahmed Pur East, Rahimyar Khan, Ubaro, Pano Aqil and end at Sukkur. The project would consist of 54 bridges including one major bridge on River Sutlej. The motorway will have 12 service areas, 10 rest areas, 11 interchanges, 10 flyovers, and 426 underpasses.[8] The M5 Motorway project forms a cornerstone of the much-larger China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). CPEC projects are financed by concessionary loans with interest rates of 1.6%.[9] China will finance up to 90% of the cost, while the remaining 10% is to be financed by the Public Sector Development Programme of the Pakistani government.[10]

Interchanges[edit]

Multan Sukkur

Motorway M-5

Interchange Junction Location
Multan 1 Bahawalpur Rd
Shujaabad 2 Lodhran Rd
Jalalpur Pirwala 3 Lodhran Rd
Uch Sharif 4 Alipur Rd
Taranda 5
Zahir Peer 6 Chachran Sharif Rd
Bahadarpur 7 Local Rd
Guddu 8 Local Rd
Ghotki 9 Sugar Mill Rd
Pano Aqil 10 Local Rd
Sukkur 11 N-5

References[edit]

  1. ^ http://nha.gov.pk/wp-content/themes/nha/images/map-full.jpg[permanent dead link]
  2. ^ a b c d "China’s CSCEC to build $2.9bn motorway in Pakistan as part of planned ‘corridor’". Global Construction Review. 8 January 2016. Retrieved 16 January 2016. 
  3. ^ "Karachi-Lahore motorway: Project to be completed in 3 years". Pakistan Tribune. 29 January 2015. Retrieved 16 December 2015. 700 Billion Pak Ruppees = $6.6 billion USD as of December 16, 2015 
  4. ^ "Karachi to Lahore Motorway Project Approved". Dawn. 4 July 2014. Retrieved 16 January 2016. 
  5. ^ "First phase of Karachi-Lahore motorway launched". Dawn. 12 March 2015. Retrieved 16 January 2016. 
  6. ^ "China’s CSCEC to build $2.9bn motorway in Pakistan as part of planned ‘corridor’". Global Construction Review. 
  7. ^ Haider, Mehtab (28 May 2014). "Govt allocates Rs73 billion for Pakistan-China trade corridor". The News. Archived from the original on 18 October 2015. Retrieved 6 December 2015. 
  8. ^ Rafique, Faisal (6 May 2016). "PM Nawaz Sharif inaugurates Multan-Sukkur motorway". Geo TV. Retrieved 6 May 2016. 
  9. ^ Butt, Naveed (3 September 2015). "ECONOMIC CORRIDOR: CHINA TO EXTEND ASSISTANCE AT 1.6 PERCENT INTEREST RATE". Business Recorder. Retrieved 16 December 2015. 
  10. ^ Rana, Shahbaz (3 July 2014). "ECNEC approves construction of 387 km leg of Karachi-Lahore motorway". Retrieved 16 December 2015.