|Industry||Technology, Web and Email Security|
|Products||Secure Web Gateway, Internet security, proxy server, content filtering|
M86 Security was a privately owned Internet threat protection company that specialized in Web and email security products and content filtering appliances. The company's international headquarters were located in Basingstoke, with development centers located in California, Israel and New Zealand.
Founded in 1995, the company changed its name to 8e6 Technologies in 2000. Its co-founder and CEO for ten years, George Shih, developed many of the technologies used in 8e6 Internet filtering products.
Originally, in an effort to provide “pornography-free Internet use for children”, the company offered filtering software for computers used in education environments. Later, 8e6 Technologies developed products to manage Internet access in other markets.
The company's Internet filtering, reporting and monitoring appliances were named a “Best Buy” by SC Magazine in 2007 and 2008.
In November 2008, 8e6 Technologies and Marshal Limited, a provider of email and Web security products, merged and became Marshal8e6. George Shih remained as interim CEO until former Finjan CEO, John Vigouroux, was named to the position in April 2009.
In November 2008, 8e6 Technologies, a company that sold Web filtering products, and Marshal Software, a provider of integrated email and Web security products, merged to form Marshal8e6.
In March 2009, Marshal8e6 acquired Avinti, along with its behavior-based malware technology for detecting blended threats that occur through email. Upon completion of the merger, Avinti's CEO, William Kilmer, joined Marshal8e6 as its Chief Marketing Officer.
As part of a rebranding campaign, Marshal8e6 changed its name to M86 Security in September 2009. The following November, M86 Security acquired Finjan Software along with its Secure Web Gateway (formerly Finjan Vital Security) product and licenses to patents for real-time code analysis technology, giving the company malware detection and prevention capabilities for the Web gateway. The company had previously announced John Vigouroux, CEO of Finjan Software, as the new CEO of M86 Security.
Marshal's TRACE Labs and Finjan's Malicious Code Research Center combined to form M86 Security Labs, which researches and reports on Web and email-based security threats. In August 2010, M86 ranked number 1,230 on the Inc. 5000 annual listing of the fastest private growing companies in America.
On March 6, 2012 it was announced that Chicago based Trustwave Holdings would acquire M86 Security. On March 19, 2012 Trustwave completed its acquisition of M86 Security and subsequently rebranded its products and operations under the Trustwave name.
- "M86 Security Secure Web Gateway Review - SC Magazine". scmagazine.com. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "M86 Security.: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "8e6 Technologies". SecureNet Associates. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- United States. "8e6 Technologies". LinkedIn. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Email Security, Web Security". 8e6.com. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "8e6 Technologies Receives Second Consecutive ''Best Buy'' Honor from SC Magazine". M86 Security. 2009-10-05. Archived from the original on 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- "Marshal and 8e6 Technologies merge". SC Magazine UK. 2008-11-13. Retrieved 2011-12-10.
- [dead link]
- "Marshal and 8e6 Technologies merge". SC Magazine UK. 2008-11-13. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Security Vendor Marshal8e6 Buys Avinti". Cio.com. 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "M86 Security Receives Behavior-Based Malware Detection Patent". Cloudcomputing.sys-con.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Avinti CEO joins Marshal8e6 - Security - Technology - News - CRN Australia". Crn.com.au. 2009-08-13. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Marshal8e6 rebrands as M86 Security and announces new product launches". SC Magazine UK. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Dan Raywood (2009-11-03). "M86 Security completes acquisition of Finjan". SC Magazine UK. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Marshal8e6 Names CEO". socalTECH.com. 2009-04-20. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Infosecurity (UK) - M86 acquires Finjan; combines IT security research operations". Infosecurity-magazine.com. 2009-11-03. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Top Software Companies on the Inc. 5000". Inc.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Trustwave to Acquire M86 Security". m86security.com.com. 2011-05-16. Archived from the original on 2012-03-09. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Purdy, Cas. "Trustwave Completes Acquisition of M86 Security". Trusted News. Trustwave. Archived from the original on 11 December 2013. Retrieved 8 December 2013.