|Industry||Technology, Web and Email Security|
|Products||Secure Web Gateway, Internet security, proxy server, content filtering|
M86 Security was a privately owned Internet threat protection company that specialized in Web and email security products and content filtering appliances. The company’s international headquarters were located in Basingstoke, with development centers located in California, Israel and New Zealand.
In March 2009, Marshal8e6 acquired Avinti, along with its behavior-based malware technology for detecting blended threats that occur through email. Upon completion of the merger, Avinti’s CEO, William Kilmer, joined Marshal8e6 as its Chief Marketing Officer.
As part of a rebranding campaign, Marshal8e6 changed its name to M86 Security in September 2009. The following November, M86 Security acquired Finjan Software along with its Secure Web Gateway (formerly Finjan Vital Security) product and licenses to patents for real-time code analysis technology, giving the company malware detection and prevention capabilities for the Web gateway. The company had previously announced John Vigouroux, CEO of Finjan Software, as the new CEO of M86 Security.
Marshal’s TRACE Labs and Finjan’s Malicious Code Research Center combined to form M86 Security Labs, which researches and reports on Web and email-based security threats. In August 2010, M86 ranked number 1,230 on the Inc. 5000 annual listing of the fastest private growing companies in America.
On March 6, 2012 it was announced that Chicago based Trustwave Holdings would acquire M86 Security. On March 19, 2012 Trustwave completed its acquisition of M86 Security and subsequently rebranded its products and operations under the Trustwave name.
Products and technologies
M86 Secure Web Gateway (formerly Finjan): an appliance-based secure Web gateway that uses real-time code analysis technology, URL filtering and antivirus scanning to prevent malware and Web-based threats. In January 2010, the M86 Secure Web Gateway was designated as Visionary in the 2010 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report for Secure Web Gateways.
- Real-time Code Analysis
- Vulnerability Anti.dote
- Dynamic Web Repair
M86 Secure Web Service Hybrid: an integrated cloud-based and on site deployment option for the M86 Secure Web Gateway. It is intended to secure mobile workers with the same policy level as on-premises staff. In 2010, it was named “one of the top 100 coolest cloud computing products” by CRN.
M86 Web Filtering and Reporting Suite: an appliance-based Web security and policy control solution that includes Internet filtering, reporting, which typically uses the surveyed system's IP address, and real-time Web traffic monitoring.
M86 WebMarshal: a secure Web gateway that inspects incoming and outgoing Web traffic. The product is designed to secure businesses from malware, viruses, blended attacks and attempted fraud.
M86 MailMarshal: an email security solution that protects against spam and data leakage. It also provides reporting, analyzes inbound and outbound content and assists with policy control. In April 2010, the M86 MailMarshal SMTP product was designated Visionary in the 2010 Gartner Magic Quadrant Report for Secure Email Gateways.
- Deep Content Inspection
- Blended Threats Module
- "M86 Security Secure Web Gateway Review - SC Magazine". scmagazine.com. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- "M86 Security.: Private Company Information - BusinessWeek". Investing.businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Marshal and 8e6 Technologies merge". SC Magazine UK. 2008-11-13. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Security Vendor Marshal8e6 Buys Avinti". Cio.com. 2009-04-14. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "M86 Security Receives Behavior-Based Malware Detection Patent". Cloudcomputing.sys-con.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Avinti CEO joins Marshal8e6 - Security - Technology - News - CRN Australia". Crn.com.au. 2009-08-13. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Marshal8e6 rebrands as M86 Security and announces new product launches". SC Magazine UK. 2009-09-02. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Dan Raywood (2009-11-03). "M86 Security completes acquisition of Finjan". SC Magazine UK. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Marshal8e6 Names CEO". socalTECH.com. 2009-04-20. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Infosecurity (UK) - M86 acquires Finjan; combines IT security research operations". Infosecurity-magazine.com. 2009-11-03. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Top Software Companies on the Inc. 5000". Inc.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Trustwave to Acquire M86 Security". m86security.com.com. 2011-05-16. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- Purdy, Cas. "Trustwave Completes Acquisition of M86 Security". Trusted News. Trustwave. Retrieved 8 December 2013.
- Peter Stephenson (2010-01-04). "M86 Security Secure Web Gateway Review". SC Magazine US. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- “Magic Quadrant for Secure Web Gateways”, Peter Firstbrook, Lawrence Orans, January 8, 2010
- "M86 Secure Web Gateway (SWG) | Web Security". Business Concepts. 1999-02-22. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Breaking news, press releases, social media news releases, business news". Marketwire. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "MailMarshal SMTP | WebSecure Technologies". Websecure.com.au. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "M86 WebMarshal". Ancoris.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "MailMarshal - Leader in Enterprise Email Content Security and Anti-Spam". Messagingsolutions.com. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- “Magic Quadrant for Secure Email Gateways”, Peter Firstbrook, Eric Ouellet, April 27, 2010
- "Email Security » MailMarshal SMTP". Secure Content Technologies. Retrieved 2011-05-16.