This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Infor XA is commercial ERP software used to control the operations of manufacturing companies. Its prior name, MAPICS, is an acronym for Manufacturing, Accounting and Production Information Control Systems. MAPICS was created by IBM, International Business Machines, but the product is now owned by Infor Global Solutions.
Originally all MAPICS code ran only on IBM midrange systems like the IBM System 34, 36, 38 and the AS/400, via succeeding versions of the platform - the IBM iSeries, System i and now IBM Power Systems. Early versions were written in IBM RPG, augmented with AS/400 Control Language programs. IBM's version of SQL is also utilized on the OS integrated database system called DB2 for i. Recent development efforts have added object oriented components written in the Java programming language, which extends a portion of the XA product to servers running Java.
However, the Infor XA product still requires the IBM i operating system. The Java components provide an application runtime which allow user customizations, a rich user interface, an optional web-based interface as well as support for XML interfaces.
|1977||IBM develops and markets MAPICS|
|1993||IBM sells MAPICS to Marcam|
|1997||Marcam splits into two companies and MAPICS Incorporated is created|
|2000||MAPICS Inc. acquires Pivotpoint (for its MS Windows based Point.Man ERP system)|
|2003||MAPICS Inc. acquires Frontstep (for its Progress and .NET based SyteLine ERP system)|
|2005||MAPICS Incorporated is acquired by Infor. MAPICS is renamed Infor ERP XA|
- MAPICS-L Discussion List
- Enterprise Integrator Users Group
- St. Louis MAPICS/XA User's Group
- INFOR User Communities
- Bill Mcllvaine (1997-06-01). "Marcam Splits, Re-focuses ERP". managingautomation.com. Retrieved 2011-07-24.
- Garnham, Jonathan. "Technology News - CNET News - CNET". News.cnet.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- Renee Boucher Ferguson (2002-11-25). "Mapics Acquires Frontstep". Eweek.com. Retrieved 2017-02-27.
- Dan Burger (2017-08-07). "IBM i Trading Punches In The Automotive Supply Chain". www.itjungle.com. Retrieved 2018-06-12.
- Debra Kelly (2005-01-28). "Infor to Acquire MAPICS for $350 Million". managingautomation.com. Retrieved 2006-10-15.
|This software article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|