A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (January 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
18.0.0 (Win and Mac) / 5 December 2017
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS|
|Available in||Multilingual (15)|
|Type||Qualitative Data Analysis Qualitative Research|
MAXQDA is a software program designed for computer-assisted qualitative and mixed methods data, text and multimedia analysis in academic, scientific, and business institutions. It is being developed and distributed by VERBI Software based in Berlin, Germany.
MAXQDA is designed for the use in qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods research. The emphasis on going beyond qualitative research can be observed in the extensive attributes function (called variables in the programme itself) and the ability of the programme to deal relatively quickly with larger numbers of interviews[which?].
The standard version of MAXQDA for macOS and Windows offers tools for the organisation and analysis of qualitative data. This includes text, audio, image, video and bibliographical files as well as survey data, Twitter tweets or focus group transcripts. The data can be analysed in a four-screen window with the help of codes and memos. MAXQDA’s visualisation functions and export options facilitate presentations. MAXQDA includes some quantitative data analysis tools (e.g. Mixed Methods tools).
MAXQDA Plus is an extended version of MAXQDA and includes the MAXDictio module. MAXDictio can be used to create dictionaries, as well as to search and filter text files. Vocabulary and word frequency analyses can be used to support qualitative findings.
MAXQDA Analytics Pro
MAXQDA Analytics Pro is the most advanced version of MAXQDA. Besides the MAXDiction module, it also integrates a comprehensive module for statistical analysis of qualitative data. The “Stats” module offers tools to statistically analyze MAXQDA project data or import and work with external quantitative data sets in Excel or SPSS.
The MAXQDA Reader makes it possible to read and search MAXQDA projects without owning a license. Projects cannot be edited.
MAXApp is a free mobile application available for Android and iOS that includes some core functions of MAXQDA. It enables users to create and code data and notes in the field, and export them to a computer or an existing MAXQDA project afterwards.
- 1989: MAX (DOS)
- 2001: MAXqda (Windows)
- 2003: MAXDictio (Add on for quantitative text analysis)
- 2005: MAXMaps (Add on for visual mapping)
- 2007: MAXQDA 2007 (Windows)
- 2010: MAXQDA 10 (Windows)
- 2012: MAXQDA 11 (Windows)
- 2012: MAXApp for iOS (iOS App)
- 2014: MAXApp for Android (Android App)
- 2014: MAXQDA 11 (Mac OS X)
- 2015: MAXQDA 12 (Universal for Windows and Mac OS X)
- 2016: VERBI releases two new products: MAXQDA Base and MAXQDA Analytics Pro
- 2017: MAXQDA 2018 (Universal for Windows and macOS)
Features of MAXQDA 2018
- Import of text documents, tables, audio, video, images, twitter tweets, surveys
- Data is stored in project file '(*.mx18)
- Reading, editing and coding data
- Settings links from one part of a document to another
- Annotating data with memos
- Visualization options (number of codes in different documents etc.)
- Group Comparison
- Analyse code combinations
- Import and export demographic information (variables) from and to SPSS and Excel
- Import of online surveys from SurveyMonkey
- Import of web pages with the free browser add-on MAXQDA Web Collector
- Analyse of responses to survey questions
- Searching and tagging words
- Transcription of audio and video files
- Internal program media player
- Linking data with georeferences (*.kml)
- Tools for summarizing content
- Code with Emoticons and Symbols
- Export to text, excel, html, xml and special reports
- Create Frequency Tables and Charts
- User management
- Statistical analysis of qualitative data
- Juliet Corbin and Anselm Strauss: Basics of Qualitative Research: Techniques and Procedures for Developing Grounded Theory, 3rd edition, 2008, Sage Publications, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore
- Ann Lewins and Christina Silver: Using Software in Qualitative Research: A Step-by-Step Guide, 2nd edition, 2014, Sage Publications, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore
- "Release Notes - MAXQDA for Windows and Mac". maxqda.com. Retrieved 27 October 2016.
- Ann Lewins and Christina Silver: Using Software in Qualitative Research: A Step-by-Step Guide, 2007, Sage Publications, Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore
- "MAXQDA products for Qualitative and Mixed Methods Data Analysis". maxqda.com. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "MAXQDA's Mixed Methods features". maxqda.com. Retrieved 12 October 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 December 2015. Retrieved 5 January 2016.