M. A. Rab
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2015)|
|Mohammad Abdur Rab|
Habiganj, British India (Now Bangladesh)
|Service/branch||Pakistan Army, Bangladesh Army|
|Rank||Major General ( Retired as a Lieutenant Colonel from Pakistan Army in 1970)|
1st East Bengal RegimentStaff SSD Unit ,Pakistan Army
|Commands held||chief of staff of Liberation Force in 1971|
Mohammad Abdur Rab (Bengali:মোহাম্মদ আব্দুর রব) was a Bangladeshi 1971 war hero.
Abdur-Rab was born at village of Khagaura under Baniachang thana of Habiganj in 1919. A lifelong bachelor, he was elected as lawmaker from the Jatiya Sangsad constituency comprising Baniachang and Ajmiriganj thanas.
Just hours ahead of the surrender of Pakistan Army on 16 December 1971 in Dhaka, machine guns fired on the helicopter carrying Colonel Osmani and Abdur Rab. Abdur-Rab sustained serious wounds. Although all of them survived, they could not join the surrender act in the capital on that historic day. This is considered to be one of the mysterious events of Bangladesh Liberation War.
After independence of Bangladesh
Abdur-Rab died 14 November 1975 at the Combined Military Hospital, Dhaka at age 56. He had been suffering from ailments including anemia. He was laid to rest at his village of khagaura on the banks of Khowai River in Habiganj.
His younger brother Abdur Rahim said that no pension was paid to any of his family members. Abdur Rab's grave is at the district headquarters of Habiganj. Other than some local freedom fighters, nobody was seen to go visit the site, even on the country's national days. 
- "Gen MA Rab's anniversary of death today". archive.thedailystar.net. The Daily Star. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- Hossain, Abu Md. Delwar (2012). "Rob, Major General MA". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "List of Independence Awardees". Cabinet Division (in Bengali). Archived from the original on 2011-07-06.
মরহুম মেজর জেনারেল মোহাম্মদ আবদুর রব (বীর উত্তম) - স্বাধীনতা ও মুক্তিযুদ্ধ [Late Major General Mohammad Abdur Rab (retd) - Liberation War]
- "MA Rab". newstoday.com.bd. Editor on behalf of Newscorp Publications Limited. Retrieved 29 June 2015.
- "Star Insight". Thedailystar.net. 1975-11-14. Retrieved 2012-07-19.[dead link]