Maharshi Dayanand University
|Motto||Vidya Vindate Amritam|
Motto in English
|Learning bestows the nectar of life|
|Chancellor||Governor of Haryana|
Maharshi Dayanand University, ab initio established as Rohtak University, Rohtak, came into existence by an Act No. 25 of 1975 of the Haryana Legislative Assembly in 1976 with the objective to promote inter-disciplinary higher education and research in the fields of environmental, ecological and life sciences. It was rechristened as Maharshi Dayanand University in 1977 after the name of a great visionary and social reformer, Maharshi Dayanand. It had a unitary and residential character in its nascent stage, but became an affiliating University in November 1978. The University secured the recognition of University Grants Commission – the higher education regulatory body of India - for central Govt. grants in 16 Mar, 1979.
While Kurukshetra University was the only state University at the time of Formation of the state of Haryana in 1966, with partial affiliation of state colleges with Panjab University. Later on deaffiliation of Haryana colleges from Panjab University and growing needs of higher education in Haryana, the new University of Rohtak was established at the erstwhile regional center of Punjab University at Rohtak. Later the University was renamed as Maharishi Dayanand University. A large lush green 700 acre main campus was established for the needs of the University at Delhi Road.
MDU offers an undergraduate arts and engineering programs that awards a Bachelor of Engineering (BE) or Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) degree. The university also offers postgraduate programs that lead to Master of Technology (M.Tech), Master of Science (MSc) by research, Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and doctorate (Ph.D). The MSc and PhD are research degrees while the rest are taught degrees.
|University and college rankings|
|General – India|
|NIRF (Overall) (2019)||122|
|NIRF (Universities) (2020)||76|
Maharshi Dayanand University is being ranked 76 in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework overall ranking in 2020.
- Arvind Kumar Sharma, Member of Parliament (Rohtak Constituency)
- Sakshi Malik, Olympic Bronze Medalist
- Jaideep Ahlawat, Bollywood Actor
- Geeta Phogat, Freestyle Wrestler
- Pawan Kumar, Freestyle Wrestler
- About MDU
- Staff (25 April 2013). "University Status Awarded to Indira Gandhi Regional Center in Rewari". Hindustan Times. Archived from the original on 26 April 2013.
- "Maharshi Dayanand University, Rohtak".
- "37th Meeting of the Standing Committee (28th March 2019) List of Institutions Recommended For Accreditation by NAAC" (PDF). National Assessment and Accreditation Council. 28 March 2019. Retrieved 8 November 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Overall)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 2019.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2020 (Universities)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Education. 11 June 2020.