Maryland Route 171
|Maintained by MDSHA and Baltimore DOT|
|Length||1.54 mi (2.48 km)|
|Existed||1927 – present|
|West end||MD 2 in Brooklyn Park|
|East end||MD 173 in Baltimore|
|Counties||Anne Arundel, City of Baltimore|
Maryland Route 171 (MD 171) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Church Street, the state highway runs 1.54 miles (2.48 km) from MD 2 in Brooklyn Park east to MD 173 in the Curtis Bay neighborhood of Baltimore. MD 171 was constructed in the mid-1920s.
MD 171 begins at an intersection with MD 2 (Governor Ritchie Highway) in Brooklyn Park. The state highway heads east as a two-lane street through a densely populated residential neighborhood. After passing 6th Street, MD 171 enters the city of Baltimore. After passing through the Curtis Bay neighborhood, the state highway meets its eastern terminus on the edge of the Curtis Bay Industrial Area at MD 173, which is formed by a one-way pair, Pennington Avenue southbound and Curtis Avenue northbound.
Church Street was laid out through what was then entirely Anne Arundel County by 1907. The Anne Arundel County portion of MD 171 was paved as a 15-foot (4.6 m) wide concrete road in 1926. It is not clear when the city part of the highway was paved, but the city portion was designated a state highway by 1946.
|Anne Arundel||Brooklyn Park||0.00||0.00||MD 2 (Governor Ritchie Highway) – Glen Burnie, Baltimore||Western terminus|
|Baltimore City||1.46||2.35||MD 173 south (Pennington Avenue) – Orchard Beach|
|1.54||2.48||MD 173 north (Curtis Avenue) – Downtown Baltimore||Eastern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Anne Arundel County (PDF)
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2005). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- Baltimore City (PDF)
- Google (2010-03-18). "Maryland Route 171" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2010-03-18.
- Relay, MD quadrangle (Map) (1907 ed.). 1:48,000. 15 Minute Series (Topographic). United States Geological Survey. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- Mackall, John N.; Darnall, R. Bennett; Brown, W.W. (January 1927). Annual Reports of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1924–1926 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 66. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- Byron, William D.; Lacy, Robert (December 28, 1934). Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1931–1934 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 21. Retrieved 2012-12-15.
- Maryland Geological Survey (1927). Map of Maryland: Showing State Road System and State Aid Roads (Map). Baltimore: Maryland Geological Survey.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1946). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map) (1946–1947 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maryland Route 171.|
Route map: Google