MD Helicopters MD 600
|A MD 600N with NOTAR|
|Role||Light utility helicopter|
|National origin||United States|
|Manufacturer||McDonnell Douglas Helicopter Systems
|First flight||22 November 1994|
|Primary user||United States Border Patrol|
|Developed from||MD Helicopters MD 500|
Design and development
McDonnell Douglas Helicopter Systems (MD Helicopters since 1999) first announced it was developing a stretched MD 520N in late 1994, at that time designated the MD 630N. The prototype, a modified MD 530F, had made its first flight on November 22, 1994. McDonnell Douglas gave the go-ahead for the production aircraft, redesignated the MD 600N, in March 1995.
McDonnell Douglas stretched the MD 520N fuselage by inserting a plug aft of the cockpit/cabin bulkhead and stretching the NOTAR tail boom. The larger fuselage allows for an extra (middle) row of seats. Other differences compared with the MD 520N include a new six blade main rotor (the MD 520N has a five blade unit) and an uprated Allison (now Rolls-Royce) Model 250 turboshaft.
The prototype was modified to MD 600N standard with a production standard engine and tail boom and flew in November 1995, followed the next month by the first MD 600N production prototype. Certification was awarded on May 15, 1997, and deliveries began that June.
Specifications (MD 600N)
Data from The International Directory of Civil Aircraft, 2003–2004
- Crew: 1–2
- Capacity: 8 total
- Length: 35 ft 5 in (11.79 m)
- Rotor diameter: 27 ft 6 in (8.38 m)
- Height: 8 ft 9 in (2.65 m)
- Disc area: 594.0 sq ft (55.2 m²)
- Empty weight: 2,100 lb (952 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 4,100 lb (1,860 kg)
- Powerplant: 1 × Allison Model 250-C47 Turboshaft, 600 hp (447 kW)
- Maximum speed: 152 knots (175 mph, 282 km/h)
- Cruise speed: 135 knots (155 mph, 250 km/h)
- Range: 357 nmi (411 mi, 661 km)
- Service ceiling: 18,700 ft (5700 m)
- Rate of climb: 2070 ft/min (10.5 m/s)
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- AgustaWestland AW119 Koala
- Bell 407
- Eurocopter AS350 Écureuil
- Eurocopter EC130
- Marenco Swisshelicopter SKYe SH09
- PZL SW-4 Puszczyk
- Conklin & de Decker. "MD 600N". Business Jet Traveller.
- Frawley, Gerard: The International Directory of Civil Aircraft, 2003–2004, page 156. Aerospace Publications Pty Ltd, 2003. ISBN 1-875671-58-7.
- "Moderno helicóptero policial fue presentado por Seguridad Pública". La Nacion.
- "MD Helicopters Proudly Presents Aircraft to Turkish National Police". helitorque.com. Retrieved 21 February 2013.
- "US Customs & Border Protection puts MD600 fleet into desert storage". helihub.com. Retrieved 24 February 2013.
Media related to MD Helicopters MD 600 at Wikimedia Commons