2 Girls 1 Cup
|Directed by||Marco Antônio Fiorito (as Marco Villanova)|
|Produced by||MFX Media|
|Music by||Hervé Roy|
|Distributed by||Marco Fiorito|
|January 5, 2007|
2 Girls 1 Cup is the unofficial nickname of the trailer for Hungry Bitches, a 2007 Brazilian scat-fetish pornographic film produced by MFX Media. The trailer features two women conducting themselves in fetishistic intimate relations, including defecating into a cup, taking turns in what appears to be consuming the excrement, and vomiting into each other's mouths. Lovers Theme by Hervé Roy plays throughout the video.
The video went viral and became one of the best known shock videos in itself and for the reactions its graphic content elicited from viewers who had not seen such content before. Around mid-October 2007, video-sharing sites including YouTube were flooded with videos depicting others' reactions to watching the video for the first time. Many other reaction videos have now appeared for similarly shocking and extreme videos.
It is unknown exactly how the graphic scenes in the video were produced. Many people believe that the apparent feces is composed of a mixture of food substances such as chocolate, coffee cream, or peanut butter. One theory states that the woman cleaned her bowels before introducing the substance. Her rectum then instantly rejected it, creating the appearance of defecation. Some speculate that the vomit is real, but was regurgitated before reaching the stomach and does not contain any gastric acids. In the video, the majority of the vomit does not enter the mouths. However, some believe that all of these scenes were created with advanced computer graphics.
The video originated from a Brazilian distributor and pornographer Marco Antônio Fiorito (born July 1, 1971, in Sao Paulo), who describes himself as a "compulsive fetishist". Fiorito started having interest producing films in 1994, and in 1996, with his wife, Joelma Brito, using her artistic name Letícia Miller, he began a fetish film business and soon moved on to coprophagia. The film was produced by MFX Video, one of several companies owned by Fiorito.
Authorities in the United States have branded some of Fiorito's films as obscene and filed charges against Danilo Croce, a Brazilian lawyer living in Florida, listed as an officer of a company distributing Fiorito's films in the United States. Fiorito explained that had he known that selling his films in the U.S. was illegal, he would have stopped. In his declaration he stated "I would have stopped because the money is not the main reason that I make these films." He then added, "I have already made fetish movies with scat/feces using chocolate instead of feces. Many actors make scat films but they don't agree to eat feces."
The first few seconds of the 2 Girls 1 Cup video contain the text "MFX 1209" (the production code for Hungry Bitches) and the URL mfxvideos.com, the website of Fiorito's MFX Video, leading some in the media to incorrectly believe the video is one of the many Croce had to surrender to the Department of Justice but was somehow leaked in the process.
The popularity of 2 Girls 1 Cup was aided by a series of reaction videos, that is, videos depicting people reacting to watching it. Many videos exist on YouTube of users showing the original video (off-camera) to their friends and filming their reactions, although some may be staged. Even Joe Rogan, host of Fear Factor, a show notorious for the disgusting things its contestants are dared to eat, had to turn away in a reaction video posted to his blog. A reaction video starring a Kermit the Frog puppet proved very popular on the community-based website Digg.
In January 2008, Slate documented the reaction video phenomenon with a slideshow featuring various reactions. Violet Blue, an author, described this website as becoming "the new 'tubgirl' and goatse all in one disgusting moment of choco-poo-love" in a San Francisco Chronicle article.
Veteran porn star Ron Jeremy walked off while watching the video on The Playhouse. On the same program, singer Wyclef Jean sat through the whole thing without looking away or showing any apparent reaction, all while eating corn on the cob. Ace Frehley, formerly of Kiss, was shown the video on The Opie and Anthony Show in July 2009, and was unfazed, declaring, "Crazier things than that have happened on the road." "Genuine Nerd" Toby Radloff was so disgusted by the clip that he had to immediately watch it again.
The video has led to many parodies and other shock videos with similar content. One of the most popular so-called "sequels" is 4 Girls Fingerpaint, which consists of four women conducting themselves in similar scat-fetishistic activities. The title has also contributed to the titles and nicknames of other shock videos, including 2 Girls 1 Finger, 8 Girls No Cup, 1 Guy 1 Jar, 1 Guy 1 Screwdriver, 3 Orangutans 1 Blender, and 1 Girl 1 Cake, the nickname for the 2008 viral shock video Cake Farts. A short film by guitarist John Mayer to his blog entitled 2 Guys 1 Cup where Mayer and Best Week Ever correspondent Sherrod Small enjoy Pinkberry frozen yogurt in the same manner that the women in the original consumed the feces. Comedian Conan O'Brien created a parody called One Guy, Two Bowls starring Andy Richter, which shows Andy eating two bowls of soup. This video was created for O'Brien's comedic website, Conan.XXX. Filmmakers Justin Roiland and Christian Le Guilloux made a five-minute series called 2 Girls, 1 Cup: The Show for the short film competition site Channel 101. It debuted in first place on January 27, 2008. Brandon Hardesty posted a video called 1 guy 1 lunchable, in which he eats the "taco filling" from a Mini-Taco Lunchable. Canadian comedian Jon Lajoie also made a song named "2 Girls 1 Cup song", which described the activities in the video as if the two women were expressing their love for each other. The music video was instantly popular, gaining over 10 million views on YouTube.
The video was referenced in the British comedy series The Inbetweeners, in the series 2 episode A Night Out in London, where Jay brings it up on his new laptop, with Will reacting by saying "that can't be real, that's got to be chocolate!".
In the media the video has been used as an example of the poor content quality of YouTube and similar video-sharing websites, and their tendency towards deliberately shocking content. Esquire magazine showed the video to actor George Clooney during an interview, prompting him to compare it to a rodeo, saying the point of the video was to see "how long you can last". In an episode of Tosh.0, the entire audience is filmed reacting to this video. Host Daniel Tosh called it the World's Largest Reaction Video in terms of number of people being filmed. The cast of Avenue Q, responding to The Muppets' version of "Bohemian Rhapsody", made a video of "We Will Rock You"/"We Are the Champions" (known as "We Will Rock Q"), ending with Nicky surfing the internet, finding 2 Girls 1 Cup (indicated by the soundtrack), and vomiting as the screen fades to black.
The site was featured in a Dr Pepper Facebook promotion open to minors, which resulted in The Coca-Cola Company terminating its relationship with the digital marketing agency responsible. Jim Edwards of BNET said that Coca-Cola has full responsibility for allowing the situation to occur, arguing that Coca-Cola selected an advertising agency that openly advertised "profane" advertising campaigns and that the Coca-Cola executive who approved the 2 Girls 1 Cup line failed to do research on what the name meant.
- "2 Girls, 1 Cup: The Real Poop". The Smoking Gun. November 30, 2007. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 7, 2007.
- Tele Music – TMCD1034 Romantic Themes Archived January 17, 2010, at WebCite
- Popkin, Helen (November 27, 2007). "The Internet can't replace TV – yet". MSNBC. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 7, 2007.
- Amey, Kathryn (December 4, 2007). "POP RHETORIC: Cute with Chris vs 2 girls, 1 cup". The McGill Tribune. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 7, 2007.
- Longworth, Karina (November 20, 2007). "Karina's Capsule: 2 Girls 1 Cup Reactions". NewTeeVee. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 7, 2007.
- "2 Girls 1 Cup and Many Reactions". Break.com Journal. Break.com. 5 August 2014. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- "Fiorito's court statement". The Smoking Gun. p. 1.
- Huff, Steve (November 29, 2007). "2 Girls, 1 Former Attorney General". Radar Magazine. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 8, 2007.
- "Two Girls One Cup: Danilo Simoes Croce". Anorak News. December 1, 2007. Archived from the original on December 13, 2007. Retrieved December 8, 2007.
- Vox, Dylan (December 10, 2007). "Reactions to Disturbing '2 Girls 1 Cup' Video Flood YouTube". Gay Wired. Archived from the original on January 20, 2008. Retrieved December 18, 2007.
- Joe Rogan Watches 2 Girls 1 Cup Video Archived January 17, 2010, at WebCite
- Femia, Will (November 28, 2007). "User Generated Failure". msnbc's Clicked. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 8, 2007.
- Agger, Michael (January 31, 2008). "2 Girls 1 Cup 0 Shame". Slate Magazine. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved February 16, 2008.
- "The 10 sex memes of 2007 From convictions to hoaxes, Violet Blue looks at 2007's most-clicked items." San Francisco Chronicle. December 27, 2007. Retrieved July 29, 2008. Archived January 17, 2010, at WebCite
- on YouTube Playhouse TV. November 16, 2007. Retrieved on September 15, 2009"Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- on YouTube Playhouse TV
- "Ace Frehley from Kiss Watches 2 Girls 1 Cup". Youtube. July 20, 2009. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- "2 Girls 1 Cup 1 Nerd".
- Duthel, Heinz (12 November 2010). The Complete Internet Pornography Encyclopedia. ePublications. ISBN 978-0-557-65507-6. Retrieved 2014-12-04.
- Conoley, Ben (November 8, 2007). "John Mayer Enters Food Porn World With "2 Guys 1 Cup"". Chart Attack. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved December 8, 2007.
- "Team JM Blog " John Mayer – Battle Studies". Johnmayer.com. July 14, 2007. Archived from the original on July 11, 2011. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- 2 Girls, 1 Cup: The Show Archived January 17, 2010, at WebCite
- "1 guy 1 lunchable by Brandon Hardesty". Youtube. January 23, 2008. Retrieved July 16, 2011.
- on YouTube"Archived copy". Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-17.
- "2 Girls 1 Cup-Cake Maker Is Not What You Think". The Huffington Post. 13 March 2013. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- Crosbie, Lynn (March 10, 2008). "Unleashing our inner demons, site by sickening site". Globe and Mail. Canada. Archived from the original on January 17, 2010. Retrieved March 16, 2008.
- George Clooney Watches 2 Girls 1 Cup – Esquire
- Tosh.0 Blog – 2 Girls 1 Cup: The Biggest Reaction Video Ever! Archived January 17, 2010, at WebCite
- "Avenue Q Rocks Muppets/Queen Video Parody". Playbill. May 5, 2010. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- Dodd, Vikram. "Coca-Cola forced to pull Facebook promotion after porn references". The Guardian. Sunday July 18, 2010. Retrieved on August 25, 2010.
- Shearman, Sarah. "Coca-Cola and Lean Mean split after Facebook gaffe". Marketing Magazine. July 27, 2010. Retrieved on August 25, 2010.
- Edwards, Jim. "Why Coke Should Have Known Its “2 Girls 1 Cup” Campaign for Dr Pepper Was a Disaster Waiting to Happen". BNET. July 21, 2010. Retrieved on August 27, 2010.