|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)|
|Replaced by||AMC (Poland)|
Hollywood HD (Russia and CIS)
MGM+ (United States)
MGM HD was an all high-definition television cable network owned by the MGM HD Productions subsidiary of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), a division of Amazon's MGM Holdings, Inc. It featured movies from the Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer library of 1,200 movies mastered in a high-definition-compatible format. The network existence was largely because MGM didn’t have to pay to license their own films, and (with a few occasional exceptions) the schedule was composed mostly of second tier and less-popular films that are not wanted or licensed by other major networks and movie channels. The films were usually presented uncut and in their original aspect ratio, although some films were edited for content for daytime viewing and commercial breaks were often added during peak viewing hours. MGM HD offered programming like the MGM Channel which is available in 110 countries.
It is available via AT&T U-verse, DirecTV, Dish Network, Charter Spectrum, Mediacom, and Frontier FiOS in the United States. MGM HD was removed from the Comcast Xfinity channel lineup in February 2019.
As of August 31, 2022, DISH Network customers see a notice stating that MGM HD has discontinued broadcasting and is no longer available, but the service continues to show listings for active programming on its web site and DirecTV subscribers continue to see the channel.
In the United Kingdom, MGM HD launched on 14 December 2009 on the Sky UK satellite service. The channel was run in partnership with Sky. On 27 April 2011, the channel was added to UPC Ireland's lineup. On 16 January 2014, MGM HD ceased broadcasting in the UK and Ireland. MGM continued to be available on the UPC (rebranded to Virgin Media Ireland in 2015) service in Ireland on channel 326 until it was removed in January 2018. MGM Germany was closed at the end of 2016.
MGM has also announced plans to bring MGM HD to Israel via the Tel-Ad service on Israel's DTH satellite platform.
- Keys, Matthew (October 25, 2022). "Amazon to shut down MGM HD cable movie channel". The Desk. Retrieved October 26, 2022.
- "MGM Eyes HDTV Movie Channel". Archived from the original on December 14, 2007. Retrieved October 11, 2007.
- "Comcast Drops MGM HD... Finally". 2 February 2019.
- "Verizon Fios TV Content Updates | Verizon Support". www.verizon.com. Retrieved January 1, 2021.
- "Philo debuts four new free channels and new premium movie package". The Desk. September 8, 2021. Retrieved September 17, 2021.
- "MGM HD". mgmhd.com. Retrieved August 7, 2022.
- "MGM HD". directv.com. Retrieved August 7, 2022.
- "MGM Networks and leading Polish media and entertainment group, ITI, to launch movie channel". Retrieved November 16, 2006.
- "MGM HD channel launches on Sky". Digital Spy. 14 December 2009.
- "MGM HD CLOSURE - MGM Channel". www.mgmchannel.co.uk. Archived from the original on 2014-02-22.
- "MGM launches HD offering in Israel". Retrieved 2007-04-30.