Mahatma Gandhi Road metro station (Bangalore)
|Namma Metro station|
MG Road Station at night
|Location||M.G. Road, Shivaji Nagar, Bengaluru, Karnataka 560001|
|Owned by||Namma Metro|
|Operated by||Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd (BMRCL)|
Platform-1 →Baiyappanahalli |
Platform-2 → Mysore Road
|Opened||20 October 2011|
|Electrified||750 V DC third rail|
Mahatma Gandhi Road, commonly referred to by the abbreviation MG Road, is a station on the Purple Line of the Namma Metro in Bangalore, India. It was constructed by Punj Lloyd and opened to the public on 20 October 2011. The station MG Road has a bicycle stand next to the Urban Square, from where commuters can rent cycles.
The old MG Road boulevard was demolished to build Namma Metro. The reconstruction work was contracted to Rajiv Gandhi Rural Housing Corporation and Karnataka Land Army Corporation. The deadline for completion was fixed as March 2012. However, the work was delayed when the ground was found to be unstable and had to be reinforced.
The new boulevard cost ₹50 million (US$700,000) and portions of it were inaugurated on 5 September 2012. It spreads across 850 square metres.
Further plans include a two-tier walkway with a museum, art gallery, amphitheatre and children's play area located on the ground floor. The first floor of the walkway will lead to the first floor/concourse of the metro station and both floors will be equipped with internationally designed toilets. The area where the dummy coach is parked will have ramps leading up to the boulevard.
M G Road track layout
Station with two tracks and two side platforms
|L1||Mezzanine||Fare control, station agent, Metro Card vending machines, crossover|
|L2||Side platform No- 1, doors will open on the left|
|South West bound||→Towards←Mysore Road|
|Side platform No- 2, doors will open on the left|
- "Now, hop off Metro and take cycle". Times of India. 21 October 2012. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Punj Lloyd to build more Metro stations". Deccan Herald. 19 October 2009. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Bangalore's Diwali gift ready – 'Namma Metro'". Zee News. 18 October 2011. Retrieved 24 October 2011.
- "Metro to showcase Gandhi". Deccan Herald. 20 October 2012. Retrieved 23 September 2014.
- "MG Road boulevard back in 2012". The Times of India. 12 December 2011.
- "Loose soil delays boulevard work". The Times of India. 26 October 2012.
- "MG Road Metro station gets boulevard with fountain". The Asian Age. 6 September 2012.
- "Boulevard going through finishing touches: Sivasailam". The Times of India. 4 February 2013.
- Lalitha, S (26 December 2016). "ATMs prove to be money-spinner for Namma Metro". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 25 October 2017.
- "ICICI Bank". ICICI Bank.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MG Road metro station, Bangalore.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Bangalore.|
- Bangalore Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (Official site)
- UrbanRail.Net – descriptions of all metro systems in the world, each with a schematic map showing all stations.