|Traded as||NASDAQ: MCRS|
|Industry||Hospitality Support, Computer hardware|
|Founded||1977, incorporated 1978|
|Headquarters||Columbia, Maryland, USA|
|Peter Altabef, President & CEO|
|Products||See Product listing below|
|Revenue||$1,007.9 M USD (FY11; 10.2% increase from FY10)|
Number of employees
|Slogan||Powering the Hospitality and Retail Industries|
MICROS Systems, Inc.; now owned by Oracle Corporation, was headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, USA. The company manufactured and sold computer hardware, software, and services for the restaurant point of sale, hotel, hospitality, specialty retail markets and other similar markets. Analyst estimates cited in 2003 put MICROS' market share at about 35% of the restaurant point-of-sale business.
MICROS Systems' software and hardware is used in the restaurant industry and primarily includes touchscreen computers for the serving staff to place orders, which are then sent to kitchen and bar printers for preparation. The back-office and enterprise software allow different types of reports, such as total sales and total menu items sold, to be produced. MICROS provides different products for different restaurant sizes and styles, including products for single-entity restaurants, major chain restaurants (with centralized reporting) and multiple-restaurant properties, including casinos, stadiums and cruise ships. MICROS products have the ability to interface to other systems such as inventory control systems and hotel systems. MICROS-Fidelio, a division/part of MICROS, offers several products for hotel systems including Property Management Systems, Central Reservations Systems, and Sales & Catering software, and is often installed at the same site as MICROS point of sale systems for interface integration.
The company was incorporated in 1977 as Picos Manufacturing, Inc. and changed its name to MICROS Systems, Inc. in 1978. MICROS Systems, Inc. is headquartered in Columbia, Maryland. The term MICROS is an acronym for Modular Integrated Cash Register Operating Systems.
MICROS Systems uses several distribution channels including different regions, districts, and dealers.
|Fiscal year||Revenue||$ vs previous year||% vs previous year||Net Income|
|2007||$785.7||+ $106.8||+ 15.7%||Growing 29% to $91.1M, or $2.21 per diluted share|
|2008||$954.2||+ $168.5||+ 21.4%||Growing 26.6% to $101.3M, or $1.21 per diluted share|
|2009||$911.8||- $42.4||- 4.44%||$99.3M, or $1.21 per diluted share|
|2010||$914.3||+ $6.6||+ 0.7%||$114.4M, or $1.41 per diluted share|
|2011||$1,007.9||+ $93.6||+ 10.2%||$144.1M, or $1.74 per diluted share|
- The fiscal year for MICROS begins on July 1.
- Net income based on a non-GAAP basis.
- Dollar figures represented in millions.
The MICROS 9700 HMS point-of-sale system is used in the entertainment marketplace, including casinos, stadiums, hotels and cruise ships. The 9700 HMS is platform- and database-independent. It can be installed on Multiple Windows platforms and can have the database run on MS-SQL or Oracle, including Oracle on Linux. 9700 HMS is installed at sites ranging from small, specialized operations to large enterprise configurations spanning multiple properties in large geographic areas.
Built upon 9700 HMS, Simphony is a fully scalable cloud based solution to manage an enterprise point-of-sale. Hosted by MICROS hosting center or the customer, Simphony offers one central database running on SQL Server 2008 or Oracle database software. Local restaurants no longer require a back-office PC running the MICROS software, meaning local stores still require the purchase of the POS terminals and supporting hardware. MICROS Simphony Enterprise Management Console can be downloaded onto any PC connected to the internet and gives a direct connection to the Simphony server. This allows any Point of Sale changes to be made to any site anywhere in the world.
MICROS RES (3700)
MICROS RES offers a complete point-of-sales solution with comprehensive reporting, tools for the back-office, restaurant operations, and guest services. MICROS RES provides end-to-end communications throughout operation to increase efficiency and speed of service. The latest release, as of February 2015 is 5.4 which now supports Windows 7 installations. RES uses Sybase SQL Anywhere/Adaptive Server Anywhere standard relational database management system (RDBMS).
MICROS RES offers a number of solutions as a part of the product portfolio including; Table Management System: Offering the ability to take reservations, assign guests to wait lists, toggle table statuses & online reservations via myReservation online service.
GSS: A local customer database managing customer information, local gift card management, customer loyalty
KDS: Kitchen display system
Labor Management: Managing aspects of labor locally including; scheduling, time card edits, payroll deductions & employee management
Product Management: A fully integrated inventory management software. This software lends the ability to order, receive, enter PO's, inventory counts & full depletion from inventory when sold through the MICROS POS
MICROS e7 is a point-of-sales system aimed at smaller restaurant locations. The system is not as customizable or detailed as 3700 or 9700, but is simpler and more user friendly. It has a built in limit of supporting at most 1 PC and 6 workstations. As of February 2015 the latest version is 4.1 which now supports Windows 8 installations.
MICROS e-business Suite
MICROS has a full range of online cloud based software for managing a full range of different products;
myMicros: an online reporting engine which works with all MICROS software. E7, RES & 9700 relies on a polling service that posts to the mymicros database at increments of 15 minutes. Simphony is fully integrated with mymicros and posts real time to the portal.
myLabor: an enterprise cloud based solution for managing labor. Offers the ability for local stores to create schedules which can be submitted to a regional manager or head office for approval, this schedule will produce forecasted numbers based upon historical totals and can offer a projected labor cost based upon a schedule. This feature also allows employees to log into the myLabor portal to review their schedules and request time off. myLabor also allows for managers to login for editing time cards, manage payroll deductions and the employee database.
myInventory: an enterprise cloud based solution for managing local store inventory. Offering the ability to interface directly with major food distribution companies, managers can log into myInventory and place orders which will directly transfer to the distributor. Also gives the ability to receive, print count sheets, track inventory with a full interface into the MICROS pos.
myReservation: a cloud based system for making online reservations which will transfer locally to the MICROS table management systems. Manage by time the amount of tables or covers you wish to take and offer suggestions when those time slots are full.
iCare: an enterprise cloud based solution for managing gift cards and customer loyalty. iCare allows one to interface with the MICROS POS and issue gift cards that can be redeemed or reloaded at any location in your enterprise. Also allows for loyalty programs including points that could be redeemed for product or service.
Property Management with OPERA
OPERA is the MICROS property management system used in many large hotel chains, such as Travelodge Hotels UK, Crown Resorts, Hyatt Hotels and Resorts, Rydges Hotels and Resorts, Oberoi Hotels & Resorts, Marriott Hotels and Starwood Hotels and Resorts Resorts and Suites,  Radisson Hotels and Resorts (subsidiary of Carlson Companies), the InterContinental Hotels Group and the Thistle Hotels.
It is the successor to the popular Fidelio PMS (Property Management System)
With the acquisition of JTech Pager, solutions for the following areas have become part of the product line:
- Hotels & Resorts
- MiRetail Hub - A Workflow application written using Windows Workflow Foundation and designed for the Retail market, it was acquired with the purchase of the company Torex from Cerberus Capital Management
|Torex||September 2012||Till systems in the UK|||
|TIG Global||January 2010||specializes in hotel Internet marketing and destination Internet marketing|||
|Fry||August 2008||strategy and marketing through design, development, managed services and fulfillment; development of e-commerce applications|||
|MICROS-Retail||January 2008||combining the subsidiaries: Datavantage, CommercialWare and eOne Group|||
|CommercialWare||February 2006||cross-channel commerce infrastructure solutions: point-of-sale, back-office, order management, fulfillment, customer service, collaboration, and analytics applications|||
|JTECH Communications||January 2005||on-premises wireless messaging systems (pagers) for the retail, hospitality and healthcare industries|||
|Datavantage||May 2003||information technology solutions for the specialty and general merchandise retail industry, analytic solutions|||
|Indatec (German)||January 2001||point-of-sale terminals, peripherals and associated software for independent restaurants and other catering facilities|||
|Hospitality Solutions International||November 2000||point-of-service and enterprise systems for restaurants, hotel management software|||
|Micros Fidelio Germany||November 1995||property-management systems (PMSs), hotel computer information systems|||
|Micros Fidelio Nordic|
|Micros Fidelio UK Ltd|
|MICROS-Fidelio Asia Pacific|
- "Yahoo Finance". Finance.yahoo.com. 2010-12-01. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Third-party citation of article from Hotel & Motel Management; original no longer available online
- "Oracle Buys MICROS Systems" (Press release). Oracle Corporation. June 23, 2014. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
The transaction is valued at approximately $5.3 billion, or $4.6 billion net of MICROS’ cash.
- DF. "Benefits of using MICROS Systems". Business Knowledge Source. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- MICROS Press Release, FY 2007 Results[dead link]
- "Marriott to install MICROS OPERA at its international properties-06 July, 2005". Travelmole.com. 2005-07-06. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- "Wired Hotelier Article April 22, 2003". Wiredhotelier.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Baker, Michael B. (2007-04-23). "Business Travel News April 23, 2007". Btnmag.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- The Escape. "Home - Omnico Digipos". digipos.com.
- "Torex aquired [sic] by Micros". Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Louise, Casamento. "MICROS Acquires TIG Global, Expanding Web Services Portfolio for Hospitality Industry". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "MICROS Systems, Inc. Acquires Fry, Inc.". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Bernstein, Rachel (7 January 2008). "MICROS combines subsidiaries". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Rogers, Peter. "Datavantage Acquires CommercialWare". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "MICROS Systems, Inc. Acquires JTECH Communications, Inc.". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "MICROS Systems, Inc. Acquires Datavantage Corporation". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "MICROS ACQUIRES INDATEC GMBH & CO. KG". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros acquires the hospitality division of hospitality solutions international". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- "Micros Systems, Inc. -- Company History". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- "MICROS Systems, Inc. Annual Report 1997" (PDF). Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- MICROS official website
- MICROS Stock information on Yahoo Finance
- MICROS history on fundinguniverse.com
- Micros Support Forum
- History of Fidelio in wiredhotelier.com by the German co-founder Dietmar Müller-Elmau
- FundingUniverse.com history of Micros provides a detailed historical overview of Micros until the mid-1990
-  Israeli Micros fidelio