MIT Global Startup Workshop
|Type||Not-for-profit Educational Organization|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology|
MIT Global Startup Workshop (MIT GSW) is a flagship event of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology run by a student group in association with Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship, the MIT Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship, and the MIT Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program (MIT REAP).
MIT GSW is an annual conference that brings together entrepreneurs, students, investors, and key stakeholders from across the world to accelerate the entrepreneurial ecosystem of a host region. Through a series of tailored workshops, panels and keynote speakers, MIT GSW aims to share the entrepreneurial practices that have empowered thousands of companies to launch from MIT.
Each year, about 30 MIT students, alumni, and staff organize the conference in close collaboration with partners from a different host country, tailoring the conference to the local cultural needs of the startup ecosystem in the country. Since 1998, the organization has held 21 international workshops across 6 continents.
The MIT Global Startup Workshop (MIT GSW) was founded in 1997 when the MIT $50K (now the MIT $100K) Entrepreneurship Competition received numerous queries from around the world from organizations interested in starting and improving their own business plan competitions (BPCs). The first MIT GSW was held in Cambridge, Massachusetts in March 1998. A decade later, in 2007 the MIT GSW expanded its mission to include all aspects of the entrepreneurial ecosystem. Since its founding, the MIT GSW has held 21 international workshops across 6 continents, reached participants from over 70 nations, and grown to become the premier workshop for fostering global entrepreneurship.
- 2019 : Bogota, Colombia 
- 2018 : Bangkok, Thailand 
- 2017 : Santiago, Chile
- 2016 : Hyderabad, India 
- 2015 : Guatemala City, Guatemala 
- 2014 : Marrakech, Morocco 
- 2013 : Tallinn, Estonia 
- 2012 : Istanbul, Turkey 
- 2011 : Seoul, Republic of Korea  
- 2010 : Reykjavik, Iceland  
- 2009 : Cape Town, South Africa
- 2008 : Madrid, Spain
- 2007 : Trondheim, Norway
- 2006 : Buenos Aires, Argentina
Featured past speakers
- Olafur Ragnar Grimsson, President Of Iceland
- Toomas Hendrik Ilves, President Of The Republic Of Estonia
- Hwang Chang-Gyu, National CTO Of South Korea
- Dean Kamen, Inventor Of Segway
- Robin Chase, Founder Of Zipcar
- Krisztina 'Z' Holly, Founder Of The First Tedx
- Bill Aulet, Managing Director Of the MIT Martin Trust Center
- Desh Desphande, Founder Of MIT Deshpande Center for Innovation
- Ariya Banomyong, Managing Director of LINE Thailand
- Pita Limjaroenrat, Executive Director, Grab Thailand
Structure of the conference
MIT GSW platform facilitates conversations via panels and keynotes at the interface of
- Government Policy
- Social and Development issues
- Corporate responsibility
- Startup culture and ecosystem
MIT GSW is also a platform for extensive coaching for participants through a Business Plan Competition, Elevator Pitch Competition, and active mentoring for startups.
MIT GSW Competitions
MIT GSW offers multiple competitions of different scales and topical interests each year. Historically, GSW has included competitions, like the Elevator Pitch Competition, a Business Plan Competition, and a Startup Showcase, to shed light on innovative ventures and projects in the region of interest. Mentorship, scale, themes, and prizes vary in each edition of the conference.
- "The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)". Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- "Home | Martin Trust Center for MIT Entrepreneurship". Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- "Home | MIT Legatum Center". Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- "MIT Regional Entrepreneurship Acceleration Program". Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "Join Leading Entrepreneurs at the MIT Global Startup Workshop". SLICE of MIT. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "MIT GSW 2019 Website". Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "MIT GSW 2018 Recap". Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration of Chulalongkorn University. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "MIT - Global Startup Workshop 2018". Sasin Graduate Institute of Business Administration of Chulalongkorn University. Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "MIT GSW 2018 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- Somasekhar, M. "Hyderabad to host MIT start-up workshop". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 2016-02-14.
- "MIT GSW 2015 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "MIT GSW 2014 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "MIT GSW 2013 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "MIT GSW 2012 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "MIT Global Startup Workshop in South Korea". Elon University. Elon University. Retrieved 14 February 2016.
- "MIT GSW 2011 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.
- "Íslandsbanki endorses the MIT Global Startup Workshop 2010". Íslandsbanki. Íslandsbanki. Retrieved 16 February 2016.
- "MIT GSW 2010 Website". Retrieved 2018-11-12.