MLS Cup 2007
|Date||November 18, 2007|
|Venue||Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium, Washington, D.C., US|
|Man of the Match||Dwayne De Rosario (Houston Dynamo)|
|Weather||Sunny 55 °F (13 °C)|
MLS Cup 2007 was the final match of the 2007 MLS season, the 12th in the history of Major League Soccer. The game was a rematch between the previous year's two MLS Cup finalists, New England Revolution and Houston Dynamo.
The match took place on Sunday, November 18, 2007 at Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium in Washington, D.C.. Houston won the game by a score of 2-1, handing New England its third consecutive MLS Cup defeat and fourth overall. Plácido Domingo performed the national anthem and Jimmy Eat World performed "Big Casino" at halftime.
Home to D.C. United and Major League Baseball's Washington Nationals at the time, RFK Stadium previously hosted MLS Cup in 1997 and 2002. The facility also hosted matches during the 1994 FIFA World Cup, the 2003 FIFA Women's World Cup and was the site of the 1996 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Final and the 2002 MLS All-Star Game.
MLS Cup Playoffs
|Conference Semifinals||Conference Finals||MLS Cup 2007|
|E2||New England Revolution||1|
|E2||New England Revolution||0||1|
|E3||New York Red Bulls||0||0|
|E||New England Revolution||1|
|W4||Kansas City Wizards1||1||0|
|W4||Kansas City Wizards||0|
|W2||Houston Dynamo (AET)||0||4|
MLS adopted a new format for qualification into the playoffs. In 2007, the top two teams from each of the league's two conferences, followed by the next four teams with the highest number of points at the end of the regular season, qualified for the postseason, leading to the possibility of an uneven number of playoff teams from each conference. This year, five teams qualified from the Eastern Conference, and only three teams from the Western Conference qualified, so the Kansas City Wizards, who have been assigned to the Western Conference playoffs, could have played a fellow Eastern Conference team in the final.
New England Revolution
For the fourth time in team history, third-straight, the New England Revolution became the Eastern Conference Champion. New England defeated the New York Red Bulls in the semifinals, advancing to the conference finals where they defeated the Chicago Fire.
The Houston Dynamo, for the second consecutive year in the club's two-year history, won the Western Conference Championship. Their win came through their victories over in-state rival FC Dallas in the conference semifinals and the Kansas City Wizards in the conference championship game. The Dynamo advanced to a rematch against the Revolution, and the MLS Cup, for the second straight year.
|New England Revolution||1–2||Houston Dynamo|
|Taylor Twellman 20'||Report||Joseph Ngwenya 61'
Dwayne De Rosario 74'
New England Revolution
- The 2007 MLS Cup was the first time the final has been a rematch from the previous year.
- The Houston Dynamo are the first team to have back-to-back titles in the 2000s (decade), and only the second team in MLS history after D.C. United.
- "MLS Cup 2007 to feature musical guests Jimmy Eat World and Placido Domingo" Archived November 21, 2008, at the Wayback Machine., Major League Soccer press release, November 1, 2007.
- Goff, Steven (December 13, 2006). "MLS Cup Coming to RFK in '07". washingtonpost.com. Retrieved February 8, 2007.
- "League address covers upcoming changes". MLSnet.com. Archived from the original on July 2, 2007. Retrieved February 8, 2007.
- "Dynamo stun Revolution, repeat as champions". mlsnet.com. November 18, 2007. Archived from the original on December 24, 2007. Retrieved November 19, 2007.