Rave in the main hall of MMA
|Location||Maxvorstadt, Munich, Germany|
|Operator||MMA Kunst- und Kultur UG|
MMA Club (Mixed Munich Arts) is a nightclub in Munich, Germany. The techno club, which has been described by The Guardian as "towering techno temple that rivals any in Berlin", is one of the most renowned and best ranked nightclubs in Germany.
History and Description
The techno club, which is usually only referred to as MMA, is located in a former power plant of the 1930s in the center of the Bavarian state capital, similar to the former nightclub KW – Das Heizkraftwerk (1996–2003) in Munich and the Berghain in Berlin. The central cogeneration plant at Katharina-von-Bora-Straße once had been built from 1933 to 1937 as a part of the central of the so-called "Parteiviertel" (party headquarters) of the NSDAP and supplied the former Führerbau, which today houses the University of Music and Performing Arts Munich, by a network of underground passages. From 2006 on the power plant stood empty, until it was elaborately gutted in 2013. Already the opening of the techno club in March 2014 received high media attention, and national newspapers and magazines such as Focus, Süddeutsche Zeitung or Bild covered the event. The main boiler hall of the plant, described by news magazine Focus as "impressive cathedral of energy", provides the main dancefloor of the club with 21 meters high walls and a space of 460 square meters and 10.000 cubic meters. Furthermore, the venue houses a smaller "music club in the club" as an antipole to the main hall, a 10 meters high project room for audiovisual art, as well as several galleries with another 250 square meters floor space, such that the whole club gives a labyrinth-like impression. The majority of the club is located 10 meters underground. Techno artists appreciate the monumental building for its rough, old, dark and energetic atmosphere. Magazines and travel guides often compare the industrial architectural style of the MMA to Berlin's legendary Tresor club or the Berghain.
DJs and Music
MMA almost exclusively features internationally renowned DJs and live acts, such as Adam Beyer, Len Faki, Ben Klock, Nina Kraviz, Maceo Plex, Anthony Rother, Amelie Lens, Terence Fixmer or Johannes Heil. Because of the similar lineup the MMA is often labeled as "the Berghain of the south" and compared to that club. Club nights at MMA at least last until 8 am in the morning, but can also last 48 hours at a stretch.
Concept of the Mixed Arts
However, Mixed Munich Arts is not only a techno club, but in accordance with the given name also intended as a space that brings electronic music and avant-garde art together. The owners describe this as follows: "string quartets meet graffiti, photo vernissages meet interactive performances, video artists meet techno DJs. In this spirit, MMA also regularly hosts cultural events beyond the techno club nights such as theatrical performances, concerts, art exhibitions, graffiti exhibitions and street food markets, or Christmas markets for hip-hop fans.
Since 2017 MMA further runs a beach bar on Munich's Praterinsel island, where minimal electro is played by live DJs and adults can enjoy cocktails and vegan food, but also sand toys are offered for children. The music at this venue orients itself by the techno club, but is more relaxed.
MMA also operates the restaurant Electric Elephant, which is also located at the power plant. The restaurant offers Indian cuisine, is furnished only in a minimalist way, and also has an open-air lounge area. Previously MMA had cooperated with an Italian restaurant in the same place.
The MMA and its events are regularly covered by newspapers, news magazines and tourist guides. The club is ranked among the best clubs in Germany, as well as among the best clubs in the world. Resident Advisor ranks MMA as one of Munich's top clubs (third place as of December 2018). At the Munich Nightlife Awards the club was awarded the first place in the category "music" and the second place in the category "booking" in 2016, and could defend this position in the following year.
- Hubbell, Diana (2015-11-07). "Munich city guide: what to see, plus the best bars, hotels and restaurants". The Guardian. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "The 10 best clubs in Germany that aren't in Berlin". Electronic Beats. 2017-01-30. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Tholl, Egbert (2016-09-14). "Ein Erlebnis: Der "Untergang der Titanic" im Mixed Munich Arts" [An experience: The sinking of the Titanic at Mixed Munich Arts] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Brose, Patrick. "Münchens Denkmäler" [Munich's monuments] (in German). denkmaeler-muenchen.de. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Machalke, Kristina (2014-04-03). "Kunst und Club im MixedMunichArts: Neues Szene-Areal MMA befeuert altes Heizkraftwerk" [Art and club at MixedMunichArts: New scene areal MMA heats old power plant] (in German). Focus. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Crone, Philipp (2014-04-06). "Zwischennutzung im Heizkraftwerk: Club, Kunsthalle, Restaurant" [Reusing a power plant: club, art hall and restaurant] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Steinbach, Dirk (2014-04-03). "Mixed Munich Arts: Ein neuer Club für München" [Mixed Munich Arts: A new club for Munich] (in German). Bild. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Kaufmann, Laura; Schwarz, Franziska (2017-07-12). "Das sind Münchens spannendste Zwischennutzungen: Mixed Munich Arts" [These are Munich's most exciting cultural re-uses: Mixed Munich Arts] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Wulkow, A. (2014-03-28). "Mixed Munich Arts endlich am Start" [Mixed Munich Arts finally launched] (in German). tz. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Bläsi, Marco; Merkl, Benedikt (2016-04-29). "From Another Mind Brings Quality Techno To Southern Germany". Electronic Beats. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Bernsdorff, Lennart (2017-05-12). "Kann Wiens Technoszene etwas von München lernen?" [Can Vienna's techno scene learn something from Munich?] (in German). Vice. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Kavanagh, Mark (2018-10-15). "Travel guide: get the most from a weekend in Munich". Buzz:ie. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Overview: MMA". Electronic Beats. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Stolman, Elissa (2017-02-24). "Hometown Heroes: MMA resident DJ on Munich's techno comeback". Electronic Beats. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Schwan, Jens. "Clubs in München" [Clubs in Munich]. The Clubmap. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Ruffet, Yves. "The best house and techno clubs in Munich". Devoted Electronic. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- Moises, Jürgen (2018-05-21). "Bunte Mischung: Das Schicksal von Z und anderen Künstlern" [Varied mixture: The fate of Z and other artists] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2018-06-01.
- Meyer, Christina (2015-01-09). "Im ehemaligen Heizkraftwerk unterm Königsplatz: Schmankerl-Markt: Jedes Standl ein Genuss" (in German). tz. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Dicke, Tassilo (2014-11-30). "Wolfenbütteler Festspiele Pt. IV: Heiliger Bim Bam in München" (in German). Faze Magazin. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Kaufmann, Laura (2017-07-30). "Praterinsel: Elektro für die Großen, Sandspielzeug für die Kleinen" [Praterinsel: Electro for the parents, sand toys for the kids] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Vogel, Nina. "Bora Beach: Das MMA übernimmt den Praterstrand" [Bora Beach: MMA takes over the Prater beach] (in German). Mit Vergnügen. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Location: Der Bora Beach der MMA-Macher ist am Start" [Bora beach by the MMA crew has been launched]. InMagazin. 2017-06-15. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Kaufmann, Laura (2017-08-05). "Electric Elephant in der Maxvorstadt: Zum Frühstück indische Pfannkuchen" [Electric Elephant in Maxvorstadt: Indian pancakes for breakfast] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- Meyer, Christoph (2014-07-15). "Restaurant La Fabbrica: Pizza am Meter" [Restaurant La Fabbrica: pizza by the meter] (in German). Süddeutsche Zeitung. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Techno traveller map charts the best clubs in the world". DJ Magazine. 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Resident Advisor: Top Munich Clubs". Resident Advisor. Retrieved 2018-12-10.
- "Munich Nightlife Awards 2016: Das sind die Gewinner" [Munich Nightlife Awards 2016: These are the winners]. Münchner Merkur. 2016-11-17. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Die Ergebnisse der Munich Nightlife Awards 2016" [The results of the Munich Nightlife Awards 2016]. Munich Nightlife Awards 2016. 2016-11-16. Retrieved 2017-08-08.
- "Munich Nightlife Awards 2017: Die Gewinner im Überblick" [Munich Nightlife Awards 2017: The winners at a glance]. Münchner Merkur. 2017-11-22. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
- "Die Ergebnisse der Munich Nightlife Awards 2017" [The results of the Munich Nightlife Awards 2017]. Munich Nightlife Awards 2017. 2017-11-22. Retrieved 2018-05-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MMA Club.|
- Official website (in German)