|Oral, Insufflated, Rectal|
|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||209.245 g·mol−1|
|3D model (JSmol)|
Alexander Shulgin was likely the first to synthesize MMDA-2. In his book PiHKAL, the dose is listed as 25–50 mg, and the duration is listed as 8–12 hours. Shulgin reports that MMDA-2 produces effects such as enhanced awareness, empathy, and visual facilitation and distortion, as well as some side effects like gastrointestinal upset and appetite loss. He states that 30 mg is very similar to 80 mg of MDA, and also remarks that it would be impossible for anyone to have a bad experience on the drug at that dose.
Scientific research has shown that MMDA-2, unlike MMDA, but similarly to 6-methyl-MDA, is only very weak at inducing the release of serotonin or dopamine, and accordingly, does not produce amphetamine-like responses in animals in drug discrimination studies. Instead, MMDA-2 is likely to act as a pure 5-HT2 receptor agonist similarly to the DOx series of compounds, with activation of the 5-HT2A receptor conferring its psychedelic effects.
- Ann Shulgin; Alexander Shulgin (1991). Pihkal: A Chemical Love Story. Transform Press. ISBN 978-0-9630096-0-9.
- McKenna DJ, Guan XM, Shulgin AT (March 1991). "3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA) analogues exhibit differential effects on synaptosomal release of 3H-dopamine and 3H-5-hydroxytryptamine". Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 38 (3): 505–12. doi:10.1016/0091-3057(91)90005-M. PMID 1829838.
- Glennon RA, Yousif M, Naiman N, Kalix P (March 1987). "Methcathinone: a new and potent amphetamine-like agent". Pharmacology Biochemistry and Behavior. 26 (3): 547–51. doi:10.1016/0091-3057(87)90164-X. PMID 3575369.
- Clare BW (2002). "QSAR of benzene derivatives: comparison of classical descriptors, quantum theoretic parameters and flip regression, exemplified by phenylalkylamine hallucinogens" (PDF). Journal of Computer-aided Molecular Design. 16 (8–9): 611–33. Bibcode:2002JCAMD..16..611C. doi:10.1023/A:1021966231380. PMID 12602954.
- Min JZ, Shimizu Y, Toyo'oka T, Inagaki S, Kikura-Hanajiri R, Goda Y (October 2008). "Simultaneous determination of 11 designated hallucinogenic phenethylamines by ultra-fast liquid chromatography with fluorescence detection". Journal of Chromatography B. 873 (2): 187–94. doi:10.1016/j.jchromb.2008.08.020. PMID 18789774.
(and close relatives)
Drugs from PiHKAL