MP3 Surround is an extension of MP3 for multi-channel audio support including 5.1 surround sound. It was developed by Fraunhofer IIS in collaboration with Thomson and Agere Systems, and released in December 2004.
MP3 Surround is backward compatible with standard MP3. The data overhead is 16 kbit/s, which allows for file sizes similar to standard stereo MP3 files. The file size is approximately 10% larger than that of a typical MP3 file. The current evaluation encoder is licensed for personal and non-commercial uses. An MP3 Surround file can be created from 5 or 6 channels of WAV audio.
In January 2006, Thomson and Fraunhofer IIS also released two new companion technologies: Ensonido, which allows playback of MP3 Surround 5.1 channel sound through stereo headphones, and MP3 SX, which upgrades standard stereo mp3 file to mp3 surround files.
On its 5.5 release, Nullsoft Winamp has included the MP3 Surround format as a part of its integrated MPEG audio decoder (released October 10, 2007).
- all4mp3.com Software, demos, information, and various mp3 resources
- mp3surround.com - Demo content, information and evaluation software
- Designtechnica news story
- Slashdot story
- Press Releases
- Nullsoft Winamp Player site
- PS3 system software update
- mp3 SURROUND Set for Launch - Fraunhofer IIS, Thomson, and Agere Systems Unveil - Free mp3 SURROUND Evaluation Download
- Hear all about it: MP3 goes surround-sound
- "MP3 surround sound system debuts". BBC. 22 March 2004.
- mp3 Surround
- Updated: Player 6.3.1 with mp3 Surround support now available!
- MAGIX announces support of MP3 Surround into music and video editing tools
- "Firmware v2.40 due". ps3sacd.com. Retrieved 2009-08-09.
|This sound technology article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|