MRWA E class
E30 at the Railway Museum, Bassendean, 2014
|Type and origin|
|Builder||Commonwealth Engineering, Bassendean|
|AAR wheel arr.||C|
|Gauge||3 ft 6 in (1,067 mm)|
|Wheelbase||8 ft 6 in (2.59 m)|
|Length||18 ft 4 in (5.59 m) (over headstocks)|
|Width||7 ft 6 in (2.29 m)|
|Height||10 ft 7 in (3.23 m)|
|Axle load||10 long tons (10 t; 11 short tons)|
|Locomotive weight||26 long tons (26 t; 29 short tons)|
|Fuel capacity||96 imp gal (440 L; 115 US gal)|
|Lubricant capacity||7.5 imp gal (34 L; 9.0 US gal)|
|Prime mover||Rolls-Royce C6SFL|
|Engine type||Four-stroke diesel|
|Cylinder size||5.125 in × 6 in (130.2 mm × 152.4 mm)
(bore x stroke)
|Transmission||Twin disc type DF 11,500 Hydraulic converter|
|Maximum speed||25 mph (40 km/h)|
|Power output||250 hp (190 kW)|
|Tractive effort||18,000 lbf (80 kN) (starting)|
|Operator(s)||Midland Railway of Western Australia|
|Number in class||1|
|First run||February 1957|
|Retired||18 February 1983|
The MRWA E class was a single member class of diesel-hydraulic shunting (switching) locomotive built by Commonwealth Engineering, Bassendean, Western Australia, for the Midland Railway of Western Australia (MRWA) in 1957. The locomotive was later owned and operated by the MRWA's successor, the Western Australian Government Railways (WAGR).
The single member of the class, E30, entered service with the MRWA in February 1957 as its first diesel powered locomotive. E30 also ended up being the company's only Western Australian made locomotive.
Together with the rest of the MRWA's assets and operations, E30 was taken over by the WAGR in 1964.
- List of Western Australian locomotive classes
- Locomotives of the Western Australian Government Railways
- Dunn, John (2008). Comeng: A History of Commonwealth Engineering. 2: 1955-1966. Kenthurst: Rosenberg Publishing. ISBN 9781877058738.
- Gunzburg, Adrian (1968). WAGR Locomotives 1940–1968. Perth: Australian Railway Historical Society (Western Australian Division). pp. 39, 49. OCLC 219836193.
- Gunzburg, Adrian (1989). The Midland Railway Company Locomotives of Western Australia. Melbourne: Light Railway Research Society of Australia. ISBN 0909340277.
- "New Diesel Shunter for Midland". Railway Transportation (Surry Hills, NSW: Shennen Publishing & Publicity Co). July 1957. ISSN 0033-9024. OCLC 220305870.
Media related to MRWA E class at Wikimedia Commons
- Commissioners Notebook, Vol. 3 No. 2 (8 January 2006) – includes article "Diesels replace steam power on Midland Railway", reproduced from Railway Transportation, August 1959.