|Traded as||NYSE: MSCI|
|Headquarters||Seven World Trade Center
New York City
|Henry A. Fernandez, CEO,
Robert Qutub, CFO,
Baer Pettit, Index Head,
Roveen Bhansali, RMA Head
|Services||stock market indexes
|Revenue||$661 million (2010)
$443 million (2009)
|$206 million (2010)
$151 million (2009)
|$92 million (2010)
$82 million (2009)
Number of employees
In 1968, the Capital International Indices were published, the first set of global stock market indexes for non-U.S. markets. In 1986, Morgan Stanley licensed the rights to the indexes from Capital International. It branded the indexes as the Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) indexes. In 2004, MSCI acquired Barra, Inc., to form MSCI Barra. The company is headquartered in New York City.
The MSCI global equity indexes have been calculated since 1969. The company's most known indexes include MSCI World and MSCI EAFE. MSCI indexes are widely used as the benchmark indexes by which the performance of global equity portfolios are measured. They are also used as the basis of passive investment products like index funds and exchange-traded funds (ETFs). Morgan Stanley sponsored the first iShares ETFs, known at launch as WEBS, which are designed to track various MSCI indexes.
In mid-2007, parent company Morgan Stanley decided to divest from, and perhaps spin off, MSCI. This was followed by an initial public offering of a minority of stock in November 2007. The divestment was completed in 2009.
On July 15, 2010, MSCI acquired Measurisk.
In August 2014, MSCI acquired GMI Ratings (itself a merger of GovernanceMetrics International, The Corporate Library and Audit Integrity).
- "MSCI 2010 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- "MSCI 2009 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "About MSCI". MSCI. Retrieved 2011-04-20. employee count at MSCI's website
- MSCI Global Equity Indexes MSCI Indexes
- Gastineau, Gary L. (2002). The Exchange-Traded Funds Manual (2nd ed.). John Wiley and Sons. p. 35. ISBN 0-471-22092-2. LCCN 2002391823. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- Morgan to take MSCI public—Investment News
- "FAQ". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- (a supplier of risk management systems, data, analytics, risk reporting, and information services) in a cash-and-stock deal valued at $1.55 billion. "MSCI Completes Acquisition of RiskMetrics" (PDF). MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "MSCI Acquires Measurisk" (PDF). MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Lozada, Aaron. "MSCI completes acquisition of Investor Force". SNL News. SNL Financial LC. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "MSCI Completes Acquisition of GMI Ratings". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2014-10-16.