S&P 500 Component
7 World Trade Center|
Manhattan, New York City, United States
Henry A. Fernandez, CEO,|
Kathleen Winters, CFO,
Baer Pettit, President]
stock market indexes|
|Revenue||US$1.07 billion (2015)|
|US$403.89 million (2015)|
|US$223.64 million (2015)|
|Total assets||US$3.14 billion (2015)|
|Total equity||US$901.48 million (2015)|
Number of employees
MSCI Inc. (formerly Morgan Stanley Capital International and MSCI Barra), is a Global provider of equity, fixed income, hedge fund stock market indexes, and multi-asset portfolio analysis tools. It publishes the MSCI BRIC, MSCI World and MSCI EAFE Indexes. The company is currently headquartered at 7 World Trade Center in Manhattan, New York City, U.S.
In 1968, Capital International published indices covering the global stock market for non-U.S. markets. In 1986, Morgan Stanley licensed the rights to the indexes from Capital International and branded the indexes as the Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) indexes. By the 1980s, the MSCI indexes were the primary benchmark indexes outside of the US before being joined by FTSE, Citibank and Standard & Poor's. After Dow Jones started float weighting its index funds, MSCI followed. In 2004, MSCI acquired Barra, Inc., to form MSCI Barra. In mid-2007, parent company Morgan Stanley decided to divest from, and perhaps spin off, MSCI. This was followed by an initial public offering of a minority of stock in November 2007. The divestment was completed in 2009. The company is headquartered in New York City.
MSCI formally acquired both RiskMetrics Group, Inc. and Measurisk in 2010, as well as Investment Property Databank in 2012. In 2013 MSCI acquired Investor Force from ICG Group (formerly Internet Capital Group) in 2013. In August 2014, MSCI acquired GMI Ratings.
The MSCI global equity indexes have been calculated since 1969 and include MSCI World and MSCI EAFE. Initially, the company used eight factors in developing its indexes: momentum, volatility, value, size, growth, size nonlinearity, liquidity and financial leverage.
- Frank J. Fabozzi; Harry M. Markowitz. The Theory and Practice of Investment Management. 160.
- Gastineau, Gary L. (2002-02-14). The Exchange-Traded Funds Manual. John Wiley & Sons. p. 35. ISBN 9780471218944. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- Lawrence Carrel. ETFs for the Long Run: What They Are, How They Work, and Simple Strategies. John Wiley. p. 94.
- "Morgan to take MSCI public". Investment News.
- "MSCI Barra Spinoff Provides Look At Indexers' Inner Workings". Seeking Alpha. September 17, 2007.
- "FAQ". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- Giang Nguyen (April 28, 2016). "Frontier Vietnam Eyes Step Up to Emerging-Market Big Leagues". Bloomberg.
- AARON LUCCHETTI (March 2, 2010). "MSCI Seizes RiskMetrics in Union of Niche Firms". Wall Street Journal.
- "MSCI Scores Measurisk From JPMorgan". Forbes. July 15, 2010.
- "People moves: IPD co-founder, former CEO leave MSCI", realestate.ipe.com, 18 February 2016.
- Lozada, Aaron. "MSCI completes acquisition of Investor Force". SNL News. SNL Financial LC. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Mara Stein (March 11, 2016). "Battle to Grade ESG Investments Heats Up". Wall Street Journal.
- Robert R. Johnson; Gerald R. Jensen & Luis Garcia-Feijoo (2015). Invest with the Fed: Maximizing Portfolio Performance by Following Federal Reserve Policy. McGraw Hill Professional. p. 165.
- V S Somanath. International Financial Management. p. 288.
- Drake, Pamela Peterson; Fabozzi, Frank J. (2012-10-01). Analysis of Financial Statements. John Wiley & Sons. p. 292. ISBN 9781118331910. Retrieved 18 November 2015.