|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (November 2015)|
|Traded as||NYSE: MSCI|
|Headquarters||Seven World Trade Center
New York City
|Henry A. Fernandez, CEO,
Robert Qutub, CFO,
Baer Pettit, Index Head
|Services||stock market indexes
|Revenue||$661 million (2010)
$443 million (2009)
|$206 million (2010)
$151 million (2009)
|$92 million (2010)
$82 million (2009)
Number of employees
It publishes the MSCI BRIC, MSCI World and MSCI EAFE Indexes.
In 1968, the Capital International Indices which covered global stock market indexes for non-U.S. markets were published. In 1986, Morgan Stanley licensed the rights to the indexes from Capital International. It branded the indexes as the Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI) indexes. By the 1980s, the MSCI indexes were the primary benchmark indexes outside of the US before being joined by FTSE, Citibank and Standard & Poor's. After Dow Jones started float weighting its index funds, MSCI followed. In 2004, MSCI acquired Barra, Inc., to form MSCI Barra. The company is headquartered in New York City.
The company used eight factors in developing its indexes: momentum, volatility, value, size, growth, size nonlinearity, liquidity and financial leverage.
The MSCI global equity indexes have been calculated since 1969 and include MSCI World and MSCI EAFE.
In mid-2007, parent company Morgan Stanley decided to divest from, and perhaps spin off, MSCI. This was followed by an initial public offering of a minority of stock in November 2007. The divestment was completed in 2009.
MSCI formally acquired both RiskMetrics Group, Inc.  and Measurisk in 2010, Investment Property Databank in 2012. and Investor Force from ICG Group (formerly Internet Capital Group) in 2013. In August 2014, MSCI acquired GMI Ratings.
- "MSCI 2010 Annual Report" (PDF). Retrieved 2011-04-29.
- "MSCI 2009 Annual Report" (PDF).
- "About MSCI". MSCI. Retrieved 2011-04-20. employee count at MSCI's website
- Gastineau, Gary L. (2002-02-14). The Exchange-Traded Funds Manual. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 35–. ISBN 9780471218944. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- Drake, Pamela Peterson; Fabozzi, Frank J. (2012-10-01). Analysis of Financial Statements. John Wiley & Sons. pp. 292–. ISBN 9781118331910. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- MSCI Global Equity Indexes MSCI Indexes
- "Morgan to take MSCI public". investmentnews.com.
- "FAQ". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2008-04-24.
- "MSCI Completes Acquisition of RiskMetrics" (PDF). MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- "MSCI Acquires Measurisk" (PDF). MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- Lozada, Aaron. "MSCI completes acquisition of Investor Force". SNL News. SNL Financial LC. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "MSCI Completes Acquisition of GMI Ratings". MSCI, Inc. Retrieved 2014-10-16.